It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:39 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 am
Posts: 366
Location: seattle wa
Chilled with my dudes KEL and IIIII last night. Miss chatting with the OG Spforums fam! How’s everyone doing? Any of y’all still in here? I’m looking at you Juxt, Euclid, db, teewok, computers, beatjitzu, Elhuana, illgreen, dirtykics, fluent, unillama, all you fuckers. Love y’all ! 8)


Attachments:
91958E14-0ABF-473A-B9B9-B299F9354CDE.png
91958E14-0ABF-473A-B9B9-B299F9354CDE.png [ 3.99 MiB | Viewed 866 times ]

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/seattlerain1212
http://www.myspace.com/wizdumbnw
http://soundcloud.com/wizdumb206
http://wizdumb.bandcamp.com/
http://lurkmusic.com/
Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:16 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm
Posts: 1541
Location: LAWLESS MONSTER ZONE
Whats up Wiz,

I bump into Kel on the internet here and there and the homie inflict once in a while. Always good to catch up with the heads of the same mind.

Doing well myself now, went through sequences of crisis in my life after my last album in 2016. A lot has happened. I still got my studio though, but I had to sell almost everything. Right now, its just the DJS-1000 (which is next level shit, no joke. Its advertised wrong) a Volca Sample and a soon to be delivered SP404A now that things are brightening a bit.

This place went full retard a while back, I left until recently logging in. I don't blame the other OGs for leaving, though they will pop up from time to time. Maybe if we post frequently they'll take notice to return but this a sinking ship, no maintenance since keesj left and motherfuckers were posting the password all over the net. Top of that, spambots are leaking in. We need this place updated and upgraded.

_________________
ImageAVAILABLE NOW!!-FANG OF THE SUN EP


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:34 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Toronto
Yo, I see you on a few of the Facebook groups, I think a lot of the action has moved there lately. Still prefer the vibe of a dedicated forum though, and hang out here when I'm working overnights.
Got clowny here a couple months back fr.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:46 am
Posts: 1911
Location: Seattle
Good time$

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/iiiii

Image


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 1470
Location: Tacompton
Yo! Shout out from Tacoma.

_________________
The Falling Man’s Parachute - 21 min., graphic novel inspired concept album

SOUNDCLOUD


Last edited by ghost bazz on Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:26 am
Posts: 2714
Location: La Puente
Daaaa! good hangin out

Let's plan an SP reunion!

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/k-e-l


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:00 am 
New member

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 am
Posts: 2
Now I am doing okay, thanks for asking. You know that I was struggling with my depression and it was really hard for me. My doctor said that I need to try natural pills like https://naturalwellnesscbdoil.com/green ... bd-review/ and it helped me a bit, so now I am doing well:) Hope that you guys are okay too.


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 am 
Member

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 pm
Posts: 57
Sup bro? I'm doing well, just messing around with music again, using the Maschine stuff now. I'm casually getting back into it and just making music I want to hear. Don't really post much here anymore but I posted a few of my new tapes for free download. Otherwise I'm scarce. Hope you're doing well man. :!:

_________________
www.myspace.com/fluent2332

www.myspace.com/uncutraw42

www.myspace.com/thecityslick

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:13 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 pm
Posts: 503
Location: dallas
Ill Green wrote:
This place went full retard a while back, I left until recently logging in. I don't blame the other OGs for leaving, though they will pop up from time to time. Maybe if we post frequently they'll take notice to return but this a sinking ship, no maintenance since keesj left and motherfuckers were posting the password all over the net. Top of that, spambots are leaking in. We need this place updated and upgraded.


the reason this is a sinking ship is because hip hop is dead

look at lofi.hiphop it's thriving with a bunch of fucking stupid little kids that have never heard of an sp404

_________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/zendanisdead
HAWTKARL wrote:
The last thing we need is another utube sampling digital lo-fi anime beat maker.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:39 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 2235
Location: New York
yo whatsup WIZ. It's juxt.... still here from time to time. good to see some old heads back up.

still doing it.....
check it out
https://audiomack.com/artist/title-beats

_________________
Image
Image

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 am
Posts: 540
Location: Sweden
I'm not as good as you are nor as consistent in my music making but as soon as I get my hands on an SP-404(SX/A) I will battle again. I will sell gear to finance my new SP. New gear in - something else has to go.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/gis_sweden/
I was lost....


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm
Posts: 1541
Location: LAWLESS MONSTER ZONE
zendan wrote:

the reason this is a sinking ship is because hip hop is dead

look at lofi.hiphop it's thriving with a bunch of fucking stupid little kids that have never heard of an sp404

Has nothing to do with Hip Hop. This forum created the Lofi genre all because we wanted to make Hip Hop or any other genre with just a single SP. Lofi was just a button on the SP303, we used it because it sounds good.

This place a sinking ship because the new jacks thinks the 404 was the only SP.

_________________
ImageAVAILABLE NOW!!-FANG OF THE SUN EP


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 pm
Posts: 503
Location: dallas
Ill Green wrote:
zendan wrote:

the reason this is a sinking ship is because hip hop is dead

look at lofi.hiphop it's thriving with a bunch of fucking stupid little kids that have never heard of an sp404

Has nothing to do with Hip Hop. This forum created the Lofi genre all because we wanted to make Hip Hop or any other genre with just a single SP. Lofi was just a button on the SP303, we used it because it sounds good.

This place a sinking ship because the new jacks thinks the 404 was the only SP.


they literally have threads about what plugins to use to make it sound like you're sampling vinyl or bouncing off tape

they're calling chillwave and instrumental hip hop beats "lofi" when they have no idea what that term means

this forum did not create lofi, and artists that actually appropriately labeled their genre lofi back in the mid 2000s did not produce instrumental hip hop.

lo-fi, or low-fidelity, is a term that refers to the accuracy an audio file represents the recorded source. if it is lossy, it is considered a low fidelity recording. if it is accurate, or at best, lossless, it is a hi-fidelity recording.

_________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/zendanisdead
HAWTKARL wrote:
The last thing we need is another utube sampling digital lo-fi anime beat maker.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:37 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 1470
Location: Tacompton
I like Ill Green's explanation. It certainly feels like the hip hop side of the lofi movement was an offshoot of the vinyl sim button on the 404. To me... this is just a next-generation, counter-culture, DIY application of the genre... I guess it's what is most relevant in the discussion at this point, because that's what the kids are doing with it (lofi music). This anime hip hop stuff doesn't rep the origins of the lofi movement though.

Personally, I don't have any beef with it. Are we (user's of this forum... OG or not) going to claim that we own the usage rights to the SP-404 in all it's iterations? Are we claiming ownership of the use of vinyl pops in music production... or super aggressive compression techniques? Who cares what these kids are calling lofi and doing with their SP's really?

A good aspect of the popularity of this new take on the genre is that the folks at Roland (and other companies) have a reason to spend money developing more cool beat making gear. Why do people get mad at someone wanting to use their SP with a DAW? Granted it is annoying when they pop up on here with the same question about getting their focusrite interface to get their SP playing through Fruity Loops. :roll:

Who cares what the other dude is doing with their shit though... again, at least the hardware side of the market is benefiting and staying relevant. I think a big part of the frustration expressed with the lofi hip hop movement comes from how popular it is... and who is to say what guides popular trends ? Complaining about it just puts us on the same side as our grandparents and parents when they got so annoyed with baggy jeans, or music that said the F-word. It's just kids doing kid shit... taking what's out there and repurposing it to make it "cool".

Here are some interesting pages from the interwebs on the subject of lofi music...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo-fi_music

https://www.allmusic.com/style/lo-fi-ma0000002701

https://valeriacasadoblog.wordpress.com ... res-lo-fi/

_________________
The Falling Man’s Parachute - 21 min., graphic novel inspired concept album

SOUNDCLOUD


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
 Post subject: Re: It’s been a minute, how y’all doing?!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 pm
Posts: 503
Location: dallas
ghost bazz wrote:
I like Ill Green's explanation. It certainly feels like the hip hop side of the lofi movement was an offshoot of the vinyl sim button on the 404. To me... this is just a next-generation, counter-culture, DIY application of the genre... I guess it's what is most relevant in the discussion at this point, because that's what the kids are doing with it (lofi music). This anime hip hop stuff doesn't rep the origins of the lofi movement though.

Personally, I don't have any beef with it. Are we (user's of this forum... OG or not) going to claim that we own the usage rights to the SP-404 in all it's iterations? Are we claiming ownership of the use of vinyl pops in music production... or super aggressive compression techniques? Who cares what these kids are calling lofi and doing with their SP's really?

A good aspect of the popularity of this new take on the genre is that the folks at Roland (and other companies) have a reason to spend money developing more cool beat making gear. Why do people get mad at someone wanting to use their SP with a DAW? Granted it is annoying when they pop up on here with the same question about getting their focusrite interface to get their SP playing through Fruity Loops. :roll:

Who cares what the other dude is doing with their shit though... again, at least the hardware side of the market is benefiting and staying relevant. I think a big part of the frustration expressed with the lofi hip hop movement comes from how popular it is... and who is to say what guides popular trends ? Complaining about it just puts us on the same side as our grandparents and parents when they got so annoyed with baggy jeans, or music that said the F-word. It's just kids doing kid shit... taking what's out there and repurposing it to make it "cool".

Here are some interesting pages from the interwebs on the subject of lofi music...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo-fi_music

https://www.allmusic.com/style/lo-fi-ma0000002701

https://valeriacasadoblog.wordpress.com ... res-lo-fi/


i think you missed a lot of what i said

these are kids that don't even know what a sampler is

they're using purely fl studio or ableton, etc. nothing else

using plugins to try to make their beats sound like they sampled vinyl or bounced off tape

calling chillwave lofi because they have no idea what lo-fi actually means

and the kids, the dumb fucking kids, the new generation that think they're fans/consumers of this fake chillwave lofi genre....

they don't even know a single artist

they just listen to it on youtube radio chill lofi 24/7 beats to study to

they're supporting the ripping off of artists, taking careers away from artists, taking everything, even a fanbase, away from artists. ever since that radio station shit got started, the soundcloud scene has died. completely. not just me. i know a multitude of pages with upwards of 5000 followers that get absolutely no plays if they drop anything now.

now that you can get all the chill beats you want easy without looking without paying without even just supporting someone by following them, who the fuck is going to go out of their way?

these kids have ruined music and ruined the genre i used to be proud to be associated with.


it's not about someone using an sp for effects and not composition, i have no issue with that.

_________________
http://www.soundcloud.com/zendanisdead
HAWTKARL wrote:
The last thing we need is another utube sampling digital lo-fi anime beat maker.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."


Offline
 Profile  
Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: