It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 am

Post subject: Difference in Sound in the SP'z
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:01 pm 

Whats up guys? Hey I was reading and I seen a post where sum1 asked what was the sound difference in the sp 303 and the 404. Ok now I have a question whats the difference in the sound between the Sp 606, Sp 303, Sp 404, and the 808.

I know the 303 has that warm MPC 60II sound to it. and the 404 has a fat sound to it. but what about the 606 is it fat or warm? Whats up on that tip? cause I want to get a 606 to use for sample chopping and effects to use with FL 4. and use my mpd for the drums in FL cause I like FL better than sequencing on the 4 track in the 606...

Shine sum light/words on this post please..

Peace.

AIM: heatahustla
www.myspace.com/youngheat05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:24 pm 

The 606 sound is generally very transparent (clean). However, by using the FX engines effectively, you can make the most mundane sounds sound absolutely huge. It's actually really easy to make things too punchy (there is such a thing!), so taming the FX is the key. I've only just managed to get my kicks back to a reasonable level, so they don't set off the house limiter all the time lol! Adding weight to a sound is definitely no problem with the 606 :D

As for dirt, there are a number of onboard options there too. For example, the bassline in the track 'keytosis' (in the mixtape thread) is a simple guitar sample (clean) running through the amp simulator and the tape delay. The result is (imo) a dirty, meandering, crushed-sounding bassline. Originally I had the sub running under it too, but it was tooooo fat, so I went back a step. There's a dedicated lo-fi processor as well, so crushing it further would have been possible if it needed it.

So, making sounds overweight and rough around the edges is no trouble :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:50 pm 

thats cool right there i jus wish the SP 303 had a screen like the 606 that would've been nice.....LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:06 pm 

I rarely look at the screen... screens are not needed most of the time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:12 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah, the 606 hardly has a screen anyways. If you want a screen to edit you need a DAW like Adobe Audition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:40 pm 

I know u dont need a screen all the time but it kinda helps out a bit thoe...but ima hands on kinda of guy soo using the machine to edit my sample would be better ina way than using a sample editor in the PC....I like pressing the pads and being able to edit the sample while listening to what im actually doing ya know i know u can do the same thing with the mouse and the space bar but being able to press one pad while editing another pad is a good thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:30 am 

Ugh. Personally, I like as little screen space as possible. In fact, I'd say that's one of the aesthetic beefs I have with the 404. I'm really in love with the look of the 303; it looks like an instrument. I am content and steadfast about getting a 404 over the 303, but I hate how the "blue, pulsating lights" and "sexy new look" are supposed to be of any importance. I'm just really not one to buy into the whole "pimpin' and ballin'" shit when it comes to samplers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:35 am 

the flashing blue light is actually really useful, 'cos it pulses in sync with the 404's BPM, which helps me to stay in time when i'm playing - kinda like a visual metronome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:57 am 

Drewzle wrote:
the flashing blue light is actually really useful, 'cos it pulses in sync with the 404's BPM, which helps me to stay in time when i'm playing - kinda like a visual metronome

Oh, definitely. It makes plenty of sense.

I just don't like. I dunno, I'm weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:06 am 

Sounds to me like you should get an SP-505. It has the screen and the same audio engine of the SP303.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:38 am 

Phoplay wrote:
... I'm really in love with the look of the 303; it looks like an instrument....

Eh, I love the 303 as much as the next guy, but I think it looked a little cheesy, too. Maybe it had a more rustic look, but I never thought that made much sense in sampler design. The 303 wouldn't look out of place in a late 70s hunting lodge. I don't really have any complaints or love for the 404 design, if anything I can appreciate that the "chrome" finish fits in better with the color scheme of Turntables and mixers. Honestly, though, neither of them really look bad. It's funny when I think about it, both of them actually kind of look like what they sound like. The 303 is dark and gritty, and the 404 is cleaner and punchier.

You know what I have noticed, though; blue LEDs seem to be hot in this decade, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 am 

Phoplay wrote:
Ugh. Personally, I like as little screen space as possible. In fact, I'd say that's one of the aesthetic beefs I have with the 404. I'm really in love with the look of the 303; it looks like an instrument. I am content and steadfast about getting a 404 over the 303, but I hate how the "blue, pulsating lights" and "sexy new look" are supposed to be of any importance. I'm just really not one to buy into the whole "pimpin' and ballin'" shit when it comes to samplers.

Hold tap tempo on startup to turn the pulsating shit off.

They sell all kinds' of faceplates for the 404. I got a black one and I love it.

(the blue light is still 'on' on that pic though.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:32 pm 

so u guys think the 505 sounds warm like the 303? cause sum1 said the audio engine is the same and it has the screen joint..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:14 pm 

i don't get this "warmness". basically it boils down to the SP in question having shit low quality converters.

ANALOG WARMTH IS WHERE ITS AT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:46 am 

mostblunted wrote:
Hold tap tempo on startup to turn the pulsating shit off.

Oh! ... Thank you! Heh, I haven't actually received my 404 yet, but it's made a bad day a little bit better to know I can turn that off. Thanks again. :)

mostblunted wrote:
They sell all kinds' of faceplates for the 404. I got a black one and I love it.

Mm, I'd really like a black one. Not for style or anything, though; I just think a simple black faceplate is a lot more fitting.

Speaking of which, how much would a faceplate go for (and, uh... where would one get it :P)?