It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Post subject: Any cheap Seattle vinyl stores?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am 

I went to visit a friend in Ballard, and I made a visit at Bop Street Record's new location. It's wall to wall vinyl, but everything was over priced!! Didn't see even $1 records he was trying to get rid of. He had some interesting stuff, but just don't know when I'd be looking to buy any of it.

Anyhoo, for the Seattle crate diggers, got any suggestions on where you go? I might be willing to go anywhere from Everett to Tacoma, or as far as Redmond/Issaquah headed east if you're in the outskirts. There's gotta be some decent places to dig for rare stuff....

Post subject: Re: Any cheap Seattle vinyl stores?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:30 am 

Man I'm pretty new to Seattle-but from what I've seen so far all the official record spots are crazy over priced- I'm seeing so many records out here for 5-8 bucks and up that were just average dollar bin shit back in kc & lawrence,ks.- makes me realize I really took for granted my spot in Lawrence,"love garden"- they had the most unbelievable dollar room, plus had all the newest hip hop releases,which is something I also haven't seen much of out here. Besides some rare decent thrift store finds (I HATE digging at thrift stores!) in Seattle, my best luck has actually been in Tacoma- they got mad record spots in their one little downtown area, like 5 or 6 of them...again though,a lot of shit is overpriced- but not to the extent I've seen so far in Seattle, & a few of the stores have some really large dollar selections.It's definitely worth the short trip.To any other Seattle heads- I know people don't always wanna give away digging spots,but if there's some well known stores I'm missing besides the ones in u district,cap hill, or that big one "Easy Street" (if you don't know about this one Phones-I forget the neighborhood,google it-but it's one of the dopest all around music stores I've ever seen-a lot of overpriced records as well though-but last time I went there I found some nice stuff in the dollar boxes they keep under the bins)-- Please let us know!! Peace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:30 pm 

Tacoma is a bit of a trip on the bus, but why does it not surprise me that wax is cheaper there? Oh wait, because it's Tacompton! (Well, I always called it that). I'm thinking of getting a cheap DJ mixer & turntable after I fix up my Mac. My HD died, but it was time to upgrade the thing anyway. By May I may start crate digging, but there's 2 places close by where I live. Satisfaction Records on Roosevelt, and Nanoos on the Ave. Both again, a little overpriced. I guess there's also Half priced Books, but I've never really went through their wax that much. There used to be a hip hop store in Cap Hill, but I think it closed down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm 

lol...tacompton. Haven't taken a bus out there-but really it shouldn't take that long-I'm assuming it would be pretty much a straight shot to the downtown. Could be wrong though. I actually like the look and vibe of Tacoma- and it's got a very historic music history,also some very vibrant cenes currently, including hip hop. Honestly I think Tacoma's the best option for around here--but again, I'm still pretty new.Maybe the next time I head over there w/ my girl we could scoop you up.How long you been out here? Thanks for the spots--but what do you mean by "The ave"? Yo Kel-where you at man?Vaughnilla? Anybody?lol

Oh yea- theres a salvation army store in kent that's got mad records-mad records for a thrift store anyway,got maybe like 10 big bins...I'm pretty sure a record store dumps a lot of shit out there 'cause they have multiple copies of a lot of stuff...I've copped some pretty nice records there a few times, and on the weekends they're half off-50 cents a peice.You're not gonna find too much good jazz or soul,but it's great for some random off the wall shit.Also- in cap hill there's this little clothes store toward the end of the main street,forget what its called,it's just a little botique-they always have a few boxes of older hip hop joints,a lot of 90's stuff, pretty dope. I know that's kinda vague but ti shouldn't be too difficult to find. Or shit, i might be thinking of u district,lol. Sorry, I'm trying,I got a horrible memory.Peace

oh-is one of those record stores you're talking about on a corner,down some stairs in the "basement" of a building, & it has a lot of books too? I went to a spot in u district like that-had to have been one of the main stores over there..and the prices were fucking ridiculous,I couldn't believe what i was seeing,lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 am 

Oh snap! I forgot about Neptune music. Yeah, I go there once in awhile, but honestly they need a bigger store. The front counter has stacks of CDs that will never find a home if a customer can't easily pick one without causing all the others to tumble. I'm a native of Washington but I've been in Seattle for about 20 years. I'll have to check out that place in Kent.
If you plan to make any Tacoma trips, we could maybe do that when I'm a little more ready, but as things go right now, I'm just trying to get April fixed up with my computer. Maybe we could collab on some beats as well. I still need some memory cards for my sp303, but my computer decided to act up and suddenly I had a sampler but no memory cards I could order with a Mac in the repair shop. Made me mad I didn't know the thing was messed up, but that's life sometimes. I might be walking away from the 2nd 303 I'm trying to score, but I'm maybe in the mood to get a 404 a bit later. Or a 606 if I can find one. I'd love to see what you do with that Zoom btw.

Yeah, university avenue we just call the Ave around here. We used to have 6 different music stores around here, but now were just down to 2. But a new one just opened up, but it's very small, and I didn't go in there yet. I'll go today I guess. If nothing is over priced, I'll give you the address/name. Cap hill is another place to get wax, but there's Platinum, zion's gate, easy street & wall of sound. Platinum has good hip hop/techno/breaks/drum n bass/house, etc. Zion's has all that, but Dub, reggae, & dancehall as well. You've been to easy street it seems, and Wall of sound might be more underground indie music, but I only went in there once.

I don't hear alot of Tacoma music, but I once got a demo from this hip hop female mc named Nina. I lost that demo unfortunately, and this was years ago. Seattle hip hop seems to be slowly gaining ground with Blue Scholars, so if we blow up, Tacoma artists might very well follow or at the very least share in the spotlight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

dollar bin at everyday music, pine/broadway i think.... oh and i've seen an mbox is great condition for 49 at a thrift store nearby :) shheeeeiiit you both live close to me. i'm right on capitol hill, 14th st

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:38 pm 

@ Headphones ( & whoever else in the area) I said that spot in Kent was a salvie- but it's actually a St. Vincents thrift store.Good looks on the everyday music Kel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 pm 

Good to know A.d., I haven't made the trip out there to Kent yet(my gfs dad likes to call it Kunt as a little joke.) I once lived in Kent for about 3 weeks, but the girls I lived with lost their lease. It took forever to get to work in south Seattle that I just ended up living with a girl I was dating at the time who lived in north Seattle, and then the commute was much easier. But I better ask if this ST. Vincent thrift store is in downtown Kent or the east hill. I was living in the east hill for a minute, so it's good to round it down where it is if you know. But I suppose I'm going to search it after I post this, so no worries.

Good to know you're still out there A.d.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 am 
303 Award Winner '09

University has at least three good vinyl spots and there are some in ballard as well as you already found, but my old spot is the ballard goodwill. They have a lot of great $1 joints, also grab a slice at the pizza place up the block. That's what's up

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 pm 

Yo you seattle cats pulled the wool over our eyes man...west seattle? I KNOW ya'll gotta know about all the record spots there-i've yet to go to west seattle,but i am this weekend. and in case you didn't know,you do now,lol. I'm not about trying to keep digging spots to myself- i wanna see everyone that does this shit coming as dope as possible for the sake of the art. But yea,west seattle has got what looks like at least 4 dope spots. And one of them-i can't remember the name-but it was easy to find on google if you just type in "west seattle record store"-apparently has the most extensive dollar collection in the city.

Then again,maybe wizdumb,vaugnilla,etc-never saw this post :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 am 

Word...53 dollar records today at one spot-the original easy street with the caffe inside-i was only up on the other newer one till a few days ago. got a 10 % discount-43 bucks! No bullshit records either, took my time...just went through each one tonight & got at the very least 1 gem in each. 206!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:16 pm 

I know of 2, Rubato's and Easy Street. Rubato's is a little small compared to E.S., but worth checking out. I'm so busy working, and paying bills, I have no idea when I can start beat digging. I've had to pawn most of my studio just to get by, and now I get to spend all summer getting it all back piece by piece. Once I've done that, then I'll look into getting a dj mixer and a technic 1200....(and another sampler perhaps)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am 

well man my basements open whenever u'r ready..no homo! :roll:

for real we should get down

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 am 

u dont need a tec 12 though...or a mixer,the sp is a mixer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:48 pm 

Not necessarily an endorsement, but just one to add to the list: Budget Music in Everett on Broadway, a couple blocks north of Everett Ave. Plenty of rock, jazz, blues, etc in the main racks. But in the back, the guy has thousands of unpriced, unsorted 12" singles, which is cool. What isn't cool is that you can only get a price & buy them 2 days a week when the owner is in the store. Otherwise they're set aside for pricing and you come back the next week. Terrible system.