It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:06 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Dr. Tad Winslow wrote:
I am so down to battle. Here my thoughts:

I only have a 202, and with no choping, no resampling, no sequencer of any kind, and only six effects. This makes it damn near impossible to make a beat with just the 202, especially one there is only one specific sample that can be used.

wow, i didnt realize how limited the 202 was. i feel sorry for you. its like telling a retarded kid he cant play ball with the other kids. :lol:
using your tape deck to record should be cool, the only thing that should not be allowed is using speed control on the tape. remember the purpose of these battles is to challenge urself.

also i dont think there should be seperate contests going on at the same time. check the previous battles - how many people posted beats? how many people voted? now your gonna divide that.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:46 am 
Awesome Member

that's true. no matter how much action this topic gets when i see more than 4 heads throw down i'll believe it. i don't have a problem with the 202 workaround either, but man, get a second job or something. =) i know a place that'll send you a 404 tonight for $133 (then again the next two months) and i hate to keep bringing it up but i feel so bad for you. anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:24 pm 

Word up! I will enter the next battle (#5 I think)! I will use the tape deck workaround and I will not speed up or slow down the tape and just use the SP.

You guys shouldn't feel bad for me... I have an MPC1000 which is the backbone of my production "studio", so it's not like I'm just trying to make beats on a 202 all day long. A friend sold me the 202 for dirt cheap, and I use it mainly as a lo-fi resampling tool. I use the internal mic to sample noises and my TV and shit. It's fun as hell though, I love that thing. I am going to be getting a 404 at some point soon, but I think I'm going to hold off until the 555 comes out, because hopefully lots of people will be jumping on that and selling their 404s for cheap.

But yeah, I'm down for the next battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:19 pm 

i dont know if anyone brought this up yet, but what do you do if the poll is over and its a tie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:59 pm 
Awesome Member

hmm i dunno. how about both winners get to pick a sample for the next battle and we do a mash up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:57 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

hey, just thot i'd say that if the battle ends in a tie, i'd be fine with frantic (or whomever else) getting the gold ribbon and honour of picking the next track. i'd be perfectly happy being 1b to his 1a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:58 pm 

Quote:
hmm i dunno. how about both winners get to pick a sample for the next battle and we do a mash up?

no disrespect, but thats a bad idea. having only one sample is the best part of these battles imo. but whatever you wanna do is cool

Quote:
hey, just thot i'd say that if the battle ends in a tie, i'd be fine with frantic (or whomever else) getting the gold ribbon and honour of picking the next track. i'd be perfectly happy being 1b to his 1a.

there has to be a better way. If you cant get anymore heads to vote from this site, maby someone should hit up a random member on mpcforums or something and ask them to give a vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:55 pm 
Awesome Member

juxt: i was sort of taking that from the idea Drewzle had about letting the winner pick a sample and a breakbeat (page one, this thread). you know there seems to be a lot of ideas about the way these battles should go down. i want to bring new peeps in, but i don't want to alienate any of the current gamers. hmm. i'm gonna throw up a poll or two soon and get a general consensus on some things...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:31 pm 

another question. Are you allowed to take back a beat you allready posted, then make changes to the beat and post it again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:52 pm 
Awesome Member

^i don't see why not, as long as it's before the deadline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:07 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

i totally agree. rework it if you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:26 pm 

suggestion; what if every two weeks we fit the battle and voting into a timeline. that way everyone would always know when to vote, when to cop sample, etc... something like: monday-@post sample, wednesday(next week)-post beat deadline, saturday-voting stops, repeat...

but tell us what day it is what and stick to it, so people might anticipate more. i also vote for extending the battle from average 7 days to more like 10 days. cuz i saw more people get it in late than early for battle 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:06 am 

not bad ideas but I everything has been working out good the past few battles.

I personally think a week is a good amount of time to make a beat and 3 days of voting is a good amount of time it keeps the battles moving at a good speed. of course you dont always get a desired amount of participants to battle/vote and the date may need to be extended. You just have to call it as you go along because the time it takes to get participants to battle/vote varies a lot- you really cant predict.

I dont think its a matter of not being organized- I think some cats just dont have the time, dont feel the sample, dont care about the battles, ect.

I think your idea is too organized and cats wont be able to stick to it. For example if a sample is supposed to be posted on monday and the guy doesnt post a sample till wednesday, or everyone finishes early/late, or waiting for someone to break a tie. ect

I dont want to dismiss this idea though. anyone else have opinions or ideas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 am 
303 Award Winner '09

For me it's never really a time constraint, sometimes I just don't feel like battling and most other times I'm preoccupied by my own musical ideas and business. I think it's a good idea, but I'm pretty non-conformist whether I want to or not so I doubt I would pay any more attention to a set schedule. My 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:57 am 

what jbl is saying makes logical sense
but i don't think it is practical

i agree with juxt, there's a number of reasons people don't or can't participate
i think the battle system is working well, just need more folk voting