It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

Post subject: Memory Cards / Backup Sample Sets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 am 

Hi All,

I am new here. I have been using my SP303 for a while now and have one very important question that, for the life of me, I cant figure out - after hours of trying.

Can you only backup sample sets that are stored on internal memory (A or B)? Can you not create backup sample sets from banks C or D?

The manual says "In addition to the sixteen samples of Banks C and D and the sixteen patterns of Pattern Banks C and D, you can also store (save) up to seven sets of the SP-303’s own samples and patterns (from internal memory) in the backup area of a memory card."

If a 64 MB memory card holds 66 minutes of samples recorded at "Medium" quality, and the internal memory only holds 63 seconds recorded at "Medium" quality, then why would you even need a 64 MB card?

If you can only backup samples from the internal memory (A and B), and you max out each backup set on the card, you would have only 7.35 minutes of samples on the backup area of the card [63 seconds x 7 backup sample sets = 7.35 minutes]. What would be the point of the other 58 minutes of space on the card?!

Essentially what I want to do, is take a sample set I have recorded onto bank C (which goes well over the sample time available on the internal memory), then back it up on the memory card, then repeat that process multiple times. This would allow me to take my sampler to a show, load sample sets that I have created for different songs, and perform them.

Hopefully I'm just missing something, and I can indeed backup sample sets from C and D, but they don't make it very clear in the manual. I'm sorry if there is a simple answer and I couldn't figure it out. I need someone to confirm it one way or the other for my own piece of mind.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Memory Cards / Backup Sample Sets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 am 

banks A and B things are stored on the SP303's memory.

Other banks samples are read directly from the card - they dont get loaded onto the SP, they play straight off the card.. hope that explains why a 64mb card is useful. bank A & B are limited to 63 seconds of internal storage, the other banks are limited by the size of your card.

I dont know the 303 well enough to know about whether you can backup other banks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying but it doesn't exactly address my question, which I understand is somewhat difficult to articulate.

I need to know if you can backup the samples you create in banks C and D. By backup, I mean store on the backup area of the memory card so you can recall them later (i.e. swap sample sets in and out of banks C and D at will).

Currently, it's my understanding that you can only do this with banks A and B, which makes no sense to me because you are limited to 63 seconds in banks A and B and limited to only 7 "backup storage sets" on the memory card. If this is the case, the designers of the product made it such that you are left with nearly an hour of time on your memory card (after using all 7 of your "backup areas" on the card) to be divided among only 16 sample pads (8 on bank C and 8 on bank D) which are then the ONLY samples you can access from banks C and D until you decide to delete them or swap to a different memory card. It would make much more sense if I could simply load sample sets (that are too big to fit on the internal memory) from the backup area of the memory card, to banks C or D. Banks C and D are read from the memory card anyway so why can't you use some of that hour of leftover time on your memory to store what you have in banks C or D, then load it up later when you need it?!

There has to be a way, right? Surely Roland/Boss thought about this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:10 pm 

No you can not backup (as in the backup process in the manual) anything from banks C and D ever. Those samples are already on the card. You can only backup A and B.