It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 pm

Post subject: synth
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:48 am 

looking to get my first synth dont really know which one to get looking at the korh r3 but net rally sure thought about the microkog but i thinnk the keys are to small also thought about the moog litttle fatty but thats a big investment if it helps i pretty much just sample but id like to add some bass lines and other sounds to my music i really like the sounds off the new sixtoo album thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:12 am 

alesis microns are selling for crazy prices. . can get them for like $350 and they are alot of power in a small package... it even has a sequencer on board.

the only thing is theyre annoying to edit because theres very few controls on the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:20 pm 

If the only thing holding you back from the microkorg is the small keys, you can get a cheap regular sized keyboard, or even just a midi controller, and hook it up via midi and use the regular sized keys. I hook my roommates crappy Yamaha DJwhatever keyboard (super shitty) to my microkorg all the time to use the regular sized keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:17 am 

anyone else let me put it like this what synths are people using in here and what are you using them for thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:01 am 

im personally in love with the korg radias. the price dropped to $1200 u.s. for the keyboard model. has an incredible sound, a sequencer, and most importantly an awsome vocoder w/ formant hold. definitely my next buy. i also really love my waldorf mico q (phoenix ed.). if you have a midi keyboard its a great synth. it also has a pretty nice vocoder and you can use it as an fx box too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:58 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

for synths i use a modded-out casio sk-1, which produces awesome, unique, non-repeatable sounds, but is an unpredictable as juggling chainsawz. so i keep it as a studio trickster.

main synth is a roland SH-32 with an oxygen8 controller. the SH-32 is a groovebox style analogue modeller, with quite a bit of flexibility, but the interface is just awful. not intuitive at all.

if i could get the tones of the 32 with a simpler interface, i'd be really pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:32 pm 

fauna... you should look at an SH-201

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:29 pm 
Awesome Member

^ that sh201 looks phat, i might have to add one to my list...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:39 am 

i was thinking about that sh201 also but i dont know i want an analog synth or a good va one for a decent price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:50 am 

Quote:
if i could get the tones of the 32 with a simpler interface, i'd be really pleased.

You'd lose the groovebox components, but gain an even better sounding synth & better interface, by getting a jp8080 . . costs a bit more though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:30 am 

i went to guitar center and sam ash and can i say nobody there knows what there talking about but still not really sure which synths for me any other input would be nice not really trying to spend a 1000 bucks on a moog little fatty or the nord lead2x but that moog seemed pretty cool and tweaking things was right in front of you the korg r 3 seems kinda cool and also the alesis micron but can those even compete with the moog thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:46 am 

Of course they can't compete with the Moog. It's all analog, you may have better luck looking for a used analog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:59 am 
Awesome Member

the little phatty is nice. analog rules. but bear in mind a moog has a certain sound and you want to make sure that you dig it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:29 am 

kinda like asking if a stock consumer sports car can compete with a ferrari
only you can't upgrade an R3 to sound like a moog!

don't buy something expensive like a moog if it's your first synth... a good synth programmer using a cheap synth will sound better than a noob using a moog.

I think the R3 or the micron would probably be your best choice... microkorg too, but the R3 is basically a better version of the same synth, and with normal sized keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:39 am 
Awesome Member

i second that vote for the r3. unless the keys didn't bother you and you wanted the microkorg for battery power.