It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Post subject: Rules Check
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:04 pm 
Awesome Member

Ok, I'm going to post the rules sticky so we don't keep answering the same questions, but before I do I wanted to get input into what they should actually be, so as not to come off authoritarian when I'm really just trying to get organized. Here they are as I have them:

The Rules
1. only use elements of the original source.
no external drums, preset sounds, etc. Anything left after initializing you internal and external memory is fine.
2. straight SP. all chops. all sequencing.
no multi-tracking.
no chopping in soundforge or similar.
4. winner determined by poll.
only vote once, for someone else, and please explain your logic.
5. winner picks / posts sample for next battle.

Questions
1. How long should each battle run?
2. What SPs are allowed?

Last edited by iG9 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:14 pm 
Awesome Member

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

I'm not really that familiar with the 505/606 "workstation" type machines, but i've heard they have superior sequencers, which seems like an unfair advantage over the 303/404/(202?) crowd.

It seems like the people who actually submit battle entries seem to have them done way in advance of the published deadline. I'm the exception, and I'd be willing to get mine in sooner if it means more battles. Plus, forcing speed seems like it'd strengthen our skills, which is really what I think these battles are mostly about anyway, so I favor a two or even one week limit. I also think it'd be a neat idea to let the one who picks the sample decide whether they'd like to make it a "lightning round" of, say, 48 hours, but I'm open to that being a stupid idea. =)

Well that's all I have for now. Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

I personally wouldn't stick with all these limitations... i think it's a good idea to be as free as you want ( except for the main samples of course ) and just give some explanation with your battle to tell what you have used for what. this way the voters can take this in consideration too... just a thought

p.s. i think a week is a nice period for deadlines...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

I think a couple of different rule sets would be nice. So for example one "Freestyle"-rules-set and more narrowed down to specific machines, etc. So one battle will be restricted to certain SPs while the next battle might be open for all gear. Just my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:51 pm 
Awesome Member

yeah, we could have two different "series" ongoing at any given time, one restricted to the lower end machines and one free for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:25 am 

here's my 2 cents:

the drum hits i get from a track end up being pretty wack (this is probably a reflection of my skills, but still) and this really doesn't motivate me to make a track with them.
so perhaps the winner could set a track to sample from PLUS a drumbreak to get hits from (or a drum kit but a breakbeat would ensure more creative chopped hits).

what does everyone think of that?

EDIT: and 'nuff respect to our new mod iG9 - don't let the power corrupt you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:29 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

a couple ideas

Quote:
5. winner picks / posts sample for next battle.

or requests another forum member to pick/post

absolutely no external fx applied to sample before its recorded into the sp. are u allowed to apply external fx to the finished beat? maby limit it to compression and eq. can you record your finished beat to any format before submitting it?

Quote:
Questions
1. How long should each battle run?
2. What SPs are allowed?

1. i guesse a week is good
2. imo the main challenge of these battles is isolating sounds and working without a real pitch shift. i dont think its any easier isolating sounds on the other SPs and i dont think any of the SPs have a real pitch shift. the other SPs should be cool for all battles

can i get you a coffee?

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:54 am 
Awesome Member

Drewzle wrote:
the winner could set a track to sample from PLUS a drumbreak to get hits from

how about the winner picks the samples to use. that way we can do multiple samples for hits or odd mash-ups or whatever. no limit on the amount, as i doubt anyone will go crazy and post a hundred samples. this would also let peeps open up a whole album, etc.

juxt wrote:

what's the matter man, gettin tired of winning? =) how about winner picks who picks?

juxt wrote:
are u allowed to apply external fx to the finished beat? maby limit it to compression and eq. can you record your finished beat to any format before submitting it?

i consider this mastering, which is always thought was fine. i just didn't people to be able to assemble the track in cubase or audacity or whatever. i want to hear it as it comes off the box. e.q., compressieon, ish like that seems fine to me and more professional.

Last edited by iG9 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:10 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

juxt wrote:

Quote:
what's the matter man, gettin tired of winning? =)

Gotta win a lot more than twice before i get tired of it. And i enjoy finding cheesy samples to torture u with. I just said that because some cats may not like finding/sharing samples.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:37 am 
Awesome Member

Drewzle wrote:
and 'nuff respect to our new mod iG9 - don't let the power corrupt you :)

too late friend, too late... =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:56 am 

why not just have 2 different types of competition - 'free' . . can be done with whatever equipment you want,

'limited' could be limited to say 202 thru to 404 , or 505/606/808 or anything you please.

No need to make all the competitions exactly the same - or maybe run multiple versions of the same competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 am 
Awesome Member

iG9 wrote:
yeah, we could have two different "series" ongoing at any given time, one restricted to the lower end machines and one free for all.

something like that? =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:15 am 

iG9 wrote:

cartesia wrote:
'limited' could be limited to say 202 thru to 404 , or 505/606/808 or anything you please.

Where would the 555 fit in that equation; would it be a workstation or "lower end" deal?

cartesia wrote:
why not just have 2 different types of competition - 'free' . . can be done with whatever equipment you want,

No need to make all the competitions exactly the same - or maybe run multiple versions of the same competition.

That's cool. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:40 am 
Awesome Member

Lopar-XL wrote:
Where would the 555 fit in that equation; would it be a workstation or "lower end" deal?

well it still doesn't have a multitrack sequencer, so i say it's in the lower end since it's essentially a beefed up 404.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm 

I am so down to battle. Here my thoughts:

I only have a 202, and with no choping, no resampling, no sequencer of any kind, and only six effects. This makes it damn near impossible to make a beat with just the 202, especially one there is only one specific sample that can be used. The way I would make my beat when entering the battle would be to utilize a four track cassette machine going back and forth to the 202 to "resample". Ideally I'd use a Zoom bass guitar effects pedal I have as well, but that is not nesecary, as I can mangle the sounds enough just by resampling a million times with different effects from the 202 and slowing/speeding up the tape. I would record different patterns to the four track, then record each pattern to a single pad on the SP and then play these live and record that.

So, basically I think maybe two simultaneus competitions would be dope. One with strictly 404s, 303s, etc, and maybe one with additional equipment. But then again I also have an MPC and some other gear, so if we did additional gear it could get out of hand (aka super dope). So to you 404/303 heads would a 202 combined with a shitty Tascam portastudio be an acceptable match up? (I would not use the effects pedal if I were going up against people with just a 303 or 404). Either way, I'm down.

Also, my one last thought is that i am only online at work, and I can't download/upload anything, so I have to go to a friend's house or my brother's house to upload tracks/download a sample. This usually is not a problem, but it can get a little tough. As long as the battle is at least a week long it should not be a problem. I say 1-2 weeks for battle time. I lean more towards the 1 week side.

Sorry for the long ass post.