It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 am 

micro korg seems to be popular amongst alot of people on here my friend just got one i would recomend that
i got the korg kaosillator which works real awesome with the sp, cuz you can record 4 beat loops and bounce them right onto the sampler , it also has an arpegiator which is cool and the bpm for the loops is real good
lastly a if you got a virtual synth controller you could download programs for lots of different synths but you know thats up to you... def find one that integrates well into your flow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:40 pm 

They're spose to be good stuff if you can forgo the full size keyboard they just released a mach 2 version (the XL) looks nicer, double the polyphony, costs about 100USD more

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_keyb ... korgxl.asp

^_linky - looks naice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:03 pm 

I think it really depends on what kind of sound control you want a synth for. I personally don't like "synthy" sounds although I love synthesizers. I found that my money was better spent on a whole bunch of cheap guitar efx (as well as those awesome efx on sp units) than on the synth unit's oscillators or filters although I understand why these are important. I keep going back to my cheap ass 100 preset battery powered casio keyboard through a bunch of effects cause it sounds so unique, huge, and dirty - but no one's gonna think it's a virus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:08 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Hey that microKorg XL looks cool. :)

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:05 pm 

yeah, this time the retro look is nice :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:54 pm 

well nobody's mentioned the ESQ-1 yet, so I will:

The ESQ-1.

Yeah, it's old, but so's your mom and I still have a good time with her...

Seriously though, for like a c-note you can get an amazing gritty 8-bit synth that can do nearly anything you tell it to.

But I like it when he sings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:27 pm 

Im hopefully about to pick up a casio cz5000. It's cheap, has a sequencer/arpp and you can get some awesome sounds with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:44 pm 

I sure like the MC-505 alot...am thinking about the MC-909 even more.

Those "Grooveboxes" have sooooo many synthsounds inside that you can filter and effect so nicely that I would´nt want to use anything else anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:42 pm 

I'm still surprised about Roland's move to discontinue the MC-808. Somehow it doesn't feel right, although apparently it's integration with the software doesn't work great.

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:53 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
I'm still surprised about Roland's move to discontinue the MC-808. Somehow it doesn't feel right, although apparently it's integration with the software doesn't work great.

plus the motorized faders are way too loud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:00 pm 

I'm gonna go head and throw the Nord Micro Modular into the mix. These guys are little beasts for sure. programing them can get pretty complex, but there are like 15-20,000+ patches already out there. so even if you don't want to build your own from scratch you can still find something that suits your needs and tweak it from there.

Also they are nice and small so they don't take up much space in the studio and if you play out are perfect for gigging. No built in keys, but can be sequenced anyway you want from inside the unit, controlled with MIDI, or what i want to start experimenting with is using the audio-ins as triggers.

Last but not least they are crazy as efx units and vocoders. you can build your own custom effects, this thing can produce some of the meanest distortion and bit crunching.

they can be found for $350-400 used, but they are kinda rare. So if you see one i would advise snapping it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 pm 

Quote:
i'm jealous Crying or Very sad Smile i wanna scoop up one of those sh-201's. that would be all i need for some basic leads, pads, bass, n some synth work. but i digress, i'm to broke. there's always next holidays lol

Just grab a MC-505, add a MicroKorg and you've got the same kind of sounds and power. ;)

Quote:
plus the motorized faders are way too loud

Yeah, they should have been super smooth and silent, but they are loud. Lol, even in the promo videos! :?

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject: Re: synth
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:20 am 

I’m getting a used Akai Miniak for about $126. Have it on layaway but I will have to order a gooseneck mic for $30 to mess with the vocoder. It’s closely related to the Alesis Micron, but I guess each has a trick up their sleeve the other does, even though it’s pretty much the same synth engine. It’s cool it has a sequencer & drum patterns inside, but what I don’t like is it only had 3 knobs for editing. There’s this German company that makes hardware synth editors to give you loads more knobs, but it’s kinda pricey. $450USD. What I like about it is a stereo audio in. You could put a sampler or drum machine into it and perhaps use some crazy LFOs, ring mod, envelopes, filters etc in it.

I only wanted this synth because it was so cheap, and hopefully it delivers the goods for pads, bass, and maybe some electric pianos. I’ll probably do a proper review when I’ve spent a few weeks with it. Most synths this cheap are Casios, but I have no interest in those. Probably by next year I’ll save up for a Moog, but the Miniak will do the job for now hopefully.

Attachments:
C9A71CF9-FEB2-4410-93CF-DB8690221E77.jpeg
C9A71CF9-FEB2-4410-93CF-DB8690221E77.jpeg [ 302.83 KiB | Viewed 4619 times ]