My recent trip to Paris has inspired me to start learning french again. I obvs did it at school (altho I didn't learn all that much as all I cared about at school was music) and have tried learning a bit a couple of times since then as I always wanted to be fluent in a 2nd language as I think it's impressive. I went to Paris in 2019 to get engaged but was too shy to try speaking it. However, when I went this time with my son, I found I was quite confident with it and remembered more than I thought I did. So...
Obvs a good way to help with learning is to consume a lot of francophone media. Therefore, who has the skinny on some decent stuff avec les paroles francais? Hip Hop, Trip Hop, whatever.
Merci beaucoup.
French hip hop etc recommendations.
Moderator: TGN
French hip hop etc recommendations.
>>>>>>Microwavez fryz myz brainzzzzz<<<<<<
Re: French hip hop etc recommendations.
I've been bumping those first 3 on repeat already. C'est le bon merde!
>>>>>>Microwavez fryz myz brainzzzzz<<<<<<
Re: French hip hop etc recommendations.
Giroud, pls give me a little time to put together a french rap for dummies. I'll cook something tonight. You might not become bilingual, or be able to discuss without things turning into a feud but you’ll be untouchable when it comes to French rap golden age.
I can safely say the "FR" in UJFR definitely doesn’t stand for french. Baguette (not your daily sponge brother) is sacred. Please observe a moment of silence before breaking the bread next time! U might be the Bryan Crasnton of the arena, but when it comes to French rap, you’re at best a Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
attache ta tuque!
I can safely say the "FR" in UJFR definitely doesn’t stand for french. Baguette (not your daily sponge brother) is sacred. Please observe a moment of silence before breaking the bread next time! U might be the Bryan Crasnton of the arena, but when it comes to French rap, you’re at best a Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
"mΞmοΓy ιS P▲Γ▲LL▲X"
Re: French hip hop etc recommendations.
Arg arg arg. MORE POWER!
Merci beaucoup, Ol'Sama Bin Laden.
Merci beaucoup, Ol'Sama Bin Laden.
>>>>>>Microwavez fryz myz brainzzzzz<<<<<<
Re: French hip hop etc recommendations.
Brother G. Roux, here s a Top 100 playlist made by people you can trust. I suggest you also listen to the albums. You ll always find lyrics on Rap Genius in french
TOP 100 TRACKS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sx789 ... r4&index=5
TOP ALBUMS
These are my go-to albums from the Golden Era maybe you’re not really into trap or afro trap.
IAM — L’École du Micro d’Argent
Considered by many to be the best French rap album ever made. The last track is absolutely mythical in France it shocked all rappers back then. They’re kind of the French Wu-Tang Clan. They’re from Marseille, so they have a very specific accent, and they also tend to speak a little slower than Parisians. mix and mastered by Prince Charles Alexander
Lunatic — Mauvais Œil
My #1. Both the beats and Booba’s lyrics are unreal. Very Mobb Deep-influenced. Le silence n’est pas un oubli was sampled/inspired by Hit-Boy
Ideal J — Le Combat Continue
Incredible production by DJ Mehdi. The single Hardcore is a masterpiece; there s a freestyle with Method Man that s fine too "Drink a Heineken...". One of my best gig memories was seeing them at the Elysée Montmartre the place was full of absolute gremlins.
Oxmo Puccino — Opéra Puccino
Black-mafioso mood, brilliant storytelling, and an insane level of lyricism.
Booba — Temps Mort
His label manager and produce hijacked a studio session where La Rumeur was listening to their first album and what we listened to was pure fire. that shit haunted the clique for a few days. Que le hip hop français repose en paix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1-Vt3 ... rt_radio=1
La Revue Française (litterature reviews) even published an essay about Booba’s lyrics can tt tell if it s easy to read https://www.pileface.com/sollers/pdf/Bo ... haterz.pdf
Shurik’n — Où Je Vis
Shurik’n is a member of IAM. Another essential album from the Marseille scene.
Fonky Family — Si Dieu Veut…
Introduced by IAM. like a Killarmy / Wu-Tang Clan relation. Great lyrics and beats.
Arsenik — Quelques Gouttes Suffisent…
Lino is one of the best French MCs ever, alongside Ill, Akhenaton and Booba. Lots of alliteration, metaphors and assonance, oxymoron, anaphore in their style...
113 — Les Princes de la Ville
Very well Produced by DJ Mehdi, with the anthem “Tonton du Bled” a track that reminds our childhood as North Africans going back home every summer. Jfinirai mes jours la bas Inch Allah. You might also learn a few arabian words there.
Akhenaton — Métèque et Mat
Unmatched when it comes to spirituality and storytelling.
Fabe — Détournement de Son
A great lyricist who decided to stop rapping when he was at the top. A conscious rapper, but in the best possible way. His feature on IAM’s Enfer is also worth checking out.
X-Men — Jeunes, Coupables et Libres
These guys were killing it on all the freestyles back in the day. you know, when you were making mixtapes and recording freestyles and radio shows onto cassettes. Their album is not as good as exepcted but expectations were high. Retour aux Pyramides on a compilation is in my top 3 tracks
NTM — Suprême NTM
another great gig memory. Back then Us rappers were shitty live. we had to run after some dude who stole a ticket from one of our friend
That’s My People loads of great tracks. Lyrics beats flow and Joey starr unique voice
La Caution — Asphalte Hurlante
The beats are amazing. They’re basically our French Company Flow / Cannibal Ox. u might already know "The a la Menthe" on Ocean 11 or 12 ost
Doc Gynéco — Première Consultation
West Coast flavour. Musically brilliant, and **“Ma Rue”** is a snapshot of what Paris looked like before gentrification. Very nostalgic.
Rohff — La Fierté des Nôtres
Great MC and one of the essential figures of French rap.
ATK — Heptagone
Another essential from the Golden Era.
MORE RECENT / MODERN ERA
A few more recent albums I really dig:
Kaaris — Or Noir
A landmark. Dark, brutal production and a very distinctive sound. Love his punchline on Kalash with Booba "I only trust Zizou in the overtime" if you re into football you ll get the reason why.
Alpha Wann — Une Main Lave L’Autre
This guy is a beast. One of the best technical rappers. Like Lino from Arsenik or Rohff you should not invite him on a featuring he ll kill you
Damso — Ipséité
Very well written , he s from Belgium but can t hear a specific accent. Dark, introspective and incredibly polished lyrically. You might learn french words or concepts 90% of France never heard about. Listen to Mosaique Solitaire, Nwaar is the new Black, Tueur and Ipséité. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5quDknu ... rt_radio=1
I also like the afro Kin la Belle about his home Kinshasa
SCH — A7 or John Lennon
Some absolute bangers on this one. One of the projects that really established his whole aesthetic inspired by Gomorra (watch this . A very specific voice
Joke — Tokyo & Kyoto EPs
Released his EPs 5 years to early for France
## A FEW BANGERS
Mafia K’1 Fry — Pour Ceux
One of those tracks where the whole aesthetic was ahead of its time. The videos were produced/directed by Romain Gavras and had a huge influence on the visual language around French rap. Before Watch the throne video... it inspired DMX in the hood . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoBB9N ... rt_radio=1 "Pour ceux qui font des fautes sur les murs / élévés au couscous au riz aux coups de ceintures"
113 — Tonton du Bled
An absolute classic. The anthem for everyone going back to the *bled* for the summer.
MA 6-T Va Crack-er — Retour aux Pyramides des X men + Les Flammes du Mal de Passi (Pigalle & Suburbs la nuit in the 90s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGjx4a ... rt_radio=1
Beat and Lyrics . Virtuosos
Tandem — 93 Hardcore
Raw. What Paris subrbs looked like back then. On a trip a chick in New Orleans was like "It s war, streets are burning" in France" 2 kids under 15 were killed by cops what do you expect Bitch ...
legendary punchline: J’baiserai la France jusqu’à ce qu’elle m’aime.
La Fouine & Booba - Reste en Chien or La Fouine "ça fait Mal" you can also listen to "Qui peut me stopper" on this specific one flow & Lyrics are really good
Rohff — 94
A lot of cars were playing this back then
Seyfu — molotv 4
Doc Gynéco — Ma Rue
Pure nostalgia. Paris 18eme before gentrification. great music great lyrics, Simple funny but true as hell
Souffrance — Freestyle skyrock on a beat from 2006 that was and still is a banger.
An absolute classic. He was just a guest on the show.. he stole the show.
You can also check Generations 88.2 Freestyles on youtube.
Probably the longuest post on the sp Forums. I panicked after clicking on Preview.
Enjoy and God save the SPs
TOP 100 TRACKS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sx789 ... r4&index=5
TOP ALBUMS
These are my go-to albums from the Golden Era maybe you’re not really into trap or afro trap.
IAM — L’École du Micro d’Argent
Considered by many to be the best French rap album ever made. The last track is absolutely mythical in France it shocked all rappers back then. They’re kind of the French Wu-Tang Clan. They’re from Marseille, so they have a very specific accent, and they also tend to speak a little slower than Parisians. mix and mastered by Prince Charles Alexander
Lunatic — Mauvais Œil
My #1. Both the beats and Booba’s lyrics are unreal. Very Mobb Deep-influenced. Le silence n’est pas un oubli was sampled/inspired by Hit-Boy
Ideal J — Le Combat Continue
Incredible production by DJ Mehdi. The single Hardcore is a masterpiece; there s a freestyle with Method Man that s fine too "Drink a Heineken...". One of my best gig memories was seeing them at the Elysée Montmartre the place was full of absolute gremlins.
Oxmo Puccino — Opéra Puccino
Black-mafioso mood, brilliant storytelling, and an insane level of lyricism.
Booba — Temps Mort
His label manager and produce hijacked a studio session where La Rumeur was listening to their first album and what we listened to was pure fire. that shit haunted the clique for a few days. Que le hip hop français repose en paix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1-Vt3 ... rt_radio=1
La Revue Française (litterature reviews) even published an essay about Booba’s lyrics can tt tell if it s easy to read https://www.pileface.com/sollers/pdf/Bo ... haterz.pdf
Shurik’n — Où Je Vis
Shurik’n is a member of IAM. Another essential album from the Marseille scene.
Fonky Family — Si Dieu Veut…
Introduced by IAM. like a Killarmy / Wu-Tang Clan relation. Great lyrics and beats.
Arsenik — Quelques Gouttes Suffisent…
Lino is one of the best French MCs ever, alongside Ill, Akhenaton and Booba. Lots of alliteration, metaphors and assonance, oxymoron, anaphore in their style...
113 — Les Princes de la Ville
Very well Produced by DJ Mehdi, with the anthem “Tonton du Bled” a track that reminds our childhood as North Africans going back home every summer. Jfinirai mes jours la bas Inch Allah. You might also learn a few arabian words there.
Akhenaton — Métèque et Mat
Unmatched when it comes to spirituality and storytelling.
Fabe — Détournement de Son
A great lyricist who decided to stop rapping when he was at the top. A conscious rapper, but in the best possible way. His feature on IAM’s Enfer is also worth checking out.
X-Men — Jeunes, Coupables et Libres
These guys were killing it on all the freestyles back in the day. you know, when you were making mixtapes and recording freestyles and radio shows onto cassettes. Their album is not as good as exepcted but expectations were high. Retour aux Pyramides on a compilation is in my top 3 tracks
NTM — Suprême NTM
another great gig memory. Back then Us rappers were shitty live. we had to run after some dude who stole a ticket from one of our friend
That’s My People loads of great tracks. Lyrics beats flow and Joey starr unique voice
La Caution — Asphalte Hurlante
The beats are amazing. They’re basically our French Company Flow / Cannibal Ox. u might already know "The a la Menthe" on Ocean 11 or 12 ost
Doc Gynéco — Première Consultation
West Coast flavour. Musically brilliant, and **“Ma Rue”** is a snapshot of what Paris looked like before gentrification. Very nostalgic.
Rohff — La Fierté des Nôtres
Great MC and one of the essential figures of French rap.
ATK — Heptagone
Another essential from the Golden Era.
MORE RECENT / MODERN ERA
A few more recent albums I really dig:
Kaaris — Or Noir
A landmark. Dark, brutal production and a very distinctive sound. Love his punchline on Kalash with Booba "I only trust Zizou in the overtime" if you re into football you ll get the reason why.
Alpha Wann — Une Main Lave L’Autre
This guy is a beast. One of the best technical rappers. Like Lino from Arsenik or Rohff you should not invite him on a featuring he ll kill you
Damso — Ipséité
Very well written , he s from Belgium but can t hear a specific accent. Dark, introspective and incredibly polished lyrically. You might learn french words or concepts 90% of France never heard about. Listen to Mosaique Solitaire, Nwaar is the new Black, Tueur and Ipséité. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5quDknu ... rt_radio=1
I also like the afro Kin la Belle about his home Kinshasa
SCH — A7 or John Lennon
Some absolute bangers on this one. One of the projects that really established his whole aesthetic inspired by Gomorra (watch this . A very specific voice
Joke — Tokyo & Kyoto EPs
Released his EPs 5 years to early for France
## A FEW BANGERS
Mafia K’1 Fry — Pour Ceux
One of those tracks where the whole aesthetic was ahead of its time. The videos were produced/directed by Romain Gavras and had a huge influence on the visual language around French rap. Before Watch the throne video... it inspired DMX in the hood . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoBB9N ... rt_radio=1 "Pour ceux qui font des fautes sur les murs / élévés au couscous au riz aux coups de ceintures"
113 — Tonton du Bled
An absolute classic. The anthem for everyone going back to the *bled* for the summer.
MA 6-T Va Crack-er — Retour aux Pyramides des X men + Les Flammes du Mal de Passi (Pigalle & Suburbs la nuit in the 90s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGjx4a ... rt_radio=1
Beat and Lyrics . Virtuosos
Tandem — 93 Hardcore
Raw. What Paris subrbs looked like back then. On a trip a chick in New Orleans was like "It s war, streets are burning" in France" 2 kids under 15 were killed by cops what do you expect Bitch ...
legendary punchline: J’baiserai la France jusqu’à ce qu’elle m’aime.
La Fouine & Booba - Reste en Chien or La Fouine "ça fait Mal" you can also listen to "Qui peut me stopper" on this specific one flow & Lyrics are really good
Rohff — 94
A lot of cars were playing this back then
Seyfu — molotv 4
Doc Gynéco — Ma Rue
Pure nostalgia. Paris 18eme before gentrification. great music great lyrics, Simple funny but true as hell
Souffrance — Freestyle skyrock on a beat from 2006 that was and still is a banger.
An absolute classic. He was just a guest on the show.. he stole the show.
You can also check Generations 88.2 Freestyles on youtube.
Probably the longuest post on the sp Forums. I panicked after clicking on Preview.
Enjoy and God save the SPs
"mΞmοΓy ιS P▲Γ▲LL▲X"
Re: French hip hop etc recommendations.
Holy hell, Ol'Sama Bin Laden. That's a veritable encyclopedia of frenchie freshness! Thanks a lot!!!
I've had a quick go through some of the stuff. I can pick out the odd word or phrase, Marseilles accent or not (sounds the same to me, of course - like northern yank vs canuck, or, apparently, aussie vs limey to a yank). I'm about a B1 for reading but A1 for speaking and A0 for listening, lol. When I can understand most of it, I'll know I'm doing OK.
I'll probably be sticking mostly to the older stuff, as I'm assuming that will be more likely to use real samples - as soon as drum machines, clicky trap hi-hats and 90s/00s synths or real instrumentation (unless Rhodes or double bass) get involved, I tend to lose interest. But I'll work my way through and let you know what I liked.
I also bought an obligatory DVD of La Haine, rolfz
Thanks again! Gros respect!
I've had a quick go through some of the stuff. I can pick out the odd word or phrase, Marseilles accent or not (sounds the same to me, of course - like northern yank vs canuck, or, apparently, aussie vs limey to a yank). I'm about a B1 for reading but A1 for speaking and A0 for listening, lol. When I can understand most of it, I'll know I'm doing OK.
I'll probably be sticking mostly to the older stuff, as I'm assuming that will be more likely to use real samples - as soon as drum machines, clicky trap hi-hats and 90s/00s synths or real instrumentation (unless Rhodes or double bass) get involved, I tend to lose interest. But I'll work my way through and let you know what I liked.
I also bought an obligatory DVD of La Haine, rolfz
Thanks again! Gros respect!
>>>>>>Microwavez fryz myz brainzzzzz<<<<<<
