Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
Moderator: TGN
-
Matt in a hat
- Member
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:28 am
Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
I have had my sk-5 since childhood......hmmmmm since about 1988-89!
Yeah I have tried to make beats with it in the 90's, and even tried running sounds through it with moderate success in to my computer, and other samplers years later.
Well I dusted it off, and found I often sampled too hot, and that turned sounds into a distorted mess.
Then I realized my errors, and sampled into it much much less hot, dumped the sounds into my computer, loaded them into Shortcircuit, edited them, and eq'ed them, and presto perfect sounding golden era drums!
Very "Shook ones like" drums that really crack like no other!
So if your like me and have an old SK lying around give it another whirl, and properly edit, eq, and layer the sounds.
8 bit goodness like you never imagined!
Your sp1200 lust will quickly cease!
Yeah I have tried to make beats with it in the 90's, and even tried running sounds through it with moderate success in to my computer, and other samplers years later.
Well I dusted it off, and found I often sampled too hot, and that turned sounds into a distorted mess.
Then I realized my errors, and sampled into it much much less hot, dumped the sounds into my computer, loaded them into Shortcircuit, edited them, and eq'ed them, and presto perfect sounding golden era drums!
Very "Shook ones like" drums that really crack like no other!
So if your like me and have an old SK lying around give it another whirl, and properly edit, eq, and layer the sounds.
8 bit goodness like you never imagined!
Your sp1200 lust will quickly cease!
Sp505SampletrakMpc500
-
Matt in a hat
- Member
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:28 am
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
https://soundcloud.com/mattman121775/skay5-beat
^ Used the sk-5 for all drums, and melodic stab sound.
Main sampled into the computer, and degraded with software.
^ Used the sk-5 for all drums, and melodic stab sound.
Main sampled into the computer, and degraded with software.
Sp505SampletrakMpc500
- SOUL CHOPPA
- Member
- Posts: 228
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 am
- Contact:
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
Coincidence you just posted this. I just picked up a SK200 on CL this weekend for $20. I need to figure out how to use it, but that was my thought, 3.2 seconds of quality 8-bit drums.
And I believe samples can be chromatically played on the keyboard.
I'll have to check out your track later.
And I believe samples can be chromatically played on the keyboard.
I'll have to check out your track later.
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
I still got my SK-5 with a broken key ever since '87(?). Back then I thought I was Kurtis Mantronik making beats on it for friends to rhyme over.
There are hundreds of websites to mod/circuit bend the SK-5 including MIDI and longer sampling time.
One day I'll mod it.
There are hundreds of websites to mod/circuit bend the SK-5 including MIDI and longer sampling time.
One day I'll mod it.
MBP 11,3 | Logic Pro X | Ableton Live 9 | Traktor Pro 2 | MPC3000LE, MPC4000, MPC500, MPK-49 | MV-8800, (2) TR-707, TR-808 & TR-909 | (3) ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | (2) Technics SL-1200MK1 & SL-1200GLD | 4000+ records
-
Alnitak_Kid
- Member
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 am
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
+1 love my SK-1. so moody
-
Matt in a hat
- Member
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:28 am
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
EQ tip. The max sampl-rate is about 9.38khz I think so set your lo-pass filter to half of that about 4.7khz.
This will cut out a lot of the 8 bit noise floor hiss. Then if you want to boost from 5-10k you won't have tons of hiss on your samples.
This will cut out a lot of the 8 bit noise floor hiss. Then if you want to boost from 5-10k you won't have tons of hiss on your samples.
Sp505SampletrakMpc500
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
yeah, working on this stuff last few days/weeks. SK-1 used for most "melodic" parts...
(no beats, just plain ambient work! You've been warned.)
I like the feel of this lo-fi handy beast
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-564810124/sets/v-zahrad
(no beats, just plain ambient work! You've been warned.)
I like the feel of this lo-fi handy beast
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-564810124/sets/v-zahrad
Last edited by ryba on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
Anyway, dirty, but...
There's mod tip: line input to output (Fore SK-1) :
Works with MODE selector in SOLO position. Really usefull.
https://imgur.com/a/raS3Q7N
There's mod tip: line input to output (Fore SK-1) :
Works with MODE selector in SOLO position. Really usefull.
https://imgur.com/a/raS3Q7N
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
I just thought I should post some heavily SK samplers focused mixtapes/albums somewhere. (I mean mostly some experimental sampling ones in case of SK1. SK5 with it's 4 sample pads leads to more.. SP style/boom bap results). If you have any other, leave a comment. I'm still digging through it...
///SK1///
HR 100% - an Casio SK-1 exploration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8fTTtfTBDg
the lost & found sound - On Purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeXy7qnjK4
1348 - Enthusiasm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjh7QQCtj4
Ray Shinn - CASIO SK-1 NOISE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9T1BEyWhk0
Allen Ginnett - Instrumentals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbvVfwUbiQ
Zdenko de Zagreb - Biomorphs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxoWTogKi5Q
Nacho Marty Meyer - CASIO SK-1 (1985) 8-bit Sampler - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLm_dut2jk
Nacho Marty Meyer - CASIO SK-1 (1985) 8-bit Sampler - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H72DUDu80As
///SK5///
Mid-Air! - MA1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2NfH0iwHDc
///SK1///
HR 100% - an Casio SK-1 exploration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8fTTtfTBDg
the lost & found sound - On Purpose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeXy7qnjK4
1348 - Enthusiasm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjh7QQCtj4
Ray Shinn - CASIO SK-1 NOISE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9T1BEyWhk0
Allen Ginnett - Instrumentals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbvVfwUbiQ
Zdenko de Zagreb - Biomorphs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxoWTogKi5Q
Nacho Marty Meyer - CASIO SK-1 (1985) 8-bit Sampler - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLm_dut2jk
Nacho Marty Meyer - CASIO SK-1 (1985) 8-bit Sampler - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H72DUDu80As
///SK5///
Mid-Air! - MA1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2NfH0iwHDc
- SLEEPS NUMB
- Member
- Posts: 736
- Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:02 am
- Location: BANKERS HILL
- Contact:
Re: Casio SK-1, SK-5, SK-8
LOVE THIS TYPE OF ISH.
GOING TO PEEP THESE, NEVER HEARD ANY OF THEM!
GOING TO PEEP THESE, NEVER HEARD ANY OF THEM!
LENS ANSWERING MACHINE & OTHER THEMES TAPE OUT NOW!!!!!
https://sleepsnumb.bandcamp.com/releases
BATTLE BEATS +NEW/OLD
http://soundcloud.com/sleeps-numb
<<<<<<ALL STYLES WELCOME>>>>>
https://sleepsnumb.bandcamp.com/releases
BATTLE BEATS +NEW/OLD
http://soundcloud.com/sleeps-numb
<<<<<<ALL STYLES WELCOME>>>>>