It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

Post subject: Re: sample rate math problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:27 pm 

again... the only thing why I should sample in lo-fi it is to get that "essence" but I don't get the point to sample in lower or higher rate just to play them later in another sample rate... you would achieve a good emulation for 12bit sound if you set your lo-fi processor effect to the settings I showed you on the pic before...
And I got your point and I totally understand BUT I don't have an idea why you would like to calculate that number hahaha...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

yea we were talking apples and oranges, everything usually ends up like that when you break down the layers holding things together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:10 pm 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

my goal is to record a sample pack at the same sample rate as samples that are inside of a sp1200 speeded up to save sample time, and subtract the number im looking for from the default sp 1200 sample rate. i will then convert <upsample> the pack the 44100 for conventional use. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:35 am 

For some samplers sample rate IS playback speed.
For example the Ensoniq EPS/EPS 16/ASR10 when you sample on note C2 at lets say 30khz, when you play on note C1 you are playing back at 15khz and when you play the note C3 youre playing back at 60khz. Yes these machines can go that high.

Even the Kurzweil K2000 (and the rest of the K series) its stated in the manual that the sampler can play back up to 96khz! Yes playback but not sample. It does this so when you multisample an instrument, you should not expect the sampler to go much more higher than an octave so youd have to sample a few notes per octave to capture the hole instrument.

For the modern MPCs I think its a different story. The pitch is not sample rated based but purely relies on DSP so when you playback something an octave lower, it would get pitched down but the sample rate will still be 44.1khz. Same if you play a note higher than the root note.

Consider this: Maybe thats why some beats on the ASR10 might sound a bit more shiny than other samplers if you pitch up a sample! Cos the sampler is performing at a higher sampling rate, reproducing higher frequencies much better.

Im guessing the SP1200 was so simple in design that tuning up or down was accomplished by variable sample rates on playback.