It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Post subject: Mixing into a Daw
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:28 pm 

Hi everyone
im having trouble recording my beats in reaper couse they all get muddy with the samples. I record every "song"(beats and samples) from my sp 404 all at once into my daw. i tried mixing it with eq and comp and etc(in the daw) but i actually dont know what to do. Any help?

Post subject: Re: Mixing into a Daw
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:56 am 

I’m not too sure what the right words for it are but when you’re recording, do you have it set so that there’s 2 lines of audio being recorded? When I first started recording there was just one and I was really confused why it sounded nothing like what I was hearing coming out of the 404, I then changed a setting in my software I was recording into to record 2 lines of audio and then it sounded a lot more true to my 404. In terms of the mix, EQ and level each element of the beat accordingly IN your 404 first, if it’s all over the place once you’ve recorded it then EQing after in your DAW won’t solve too much of your issues.

I’m not a professional though, it’s just what I found, if anyone else can add/rectify any mistakes I’ve made in my explanations, please do so! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm 

Jaytreaze wrote:
I’m not too sure what the right words for it are but when you’re recording, do you have it set so that there’s 2 lines of audio being recorded? When I first started recording there was just one and I was really confused why it sounded nothing like what I was hearing coming out of the 404, I then changed a setting in my software I was recording into to record 2 lines of audio and then it sounded a lot more true to my 404. In terms of the mix, EQ and level each element of the beat accordingly IN your 404 first, if it’s all over the place once you’ve recorded it then EQing after in your DAW won’t solve too much of your issues.

I’m not a professional though, it’s just what I found, if anyone else can add/rectify any mistakes I’ve made in my explanations, please do so! :D

hi jay thanks a lot
btw how do i record two lines of audio?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm 

I mean when I record into Ableton, theres a setting for "Audio From" and below that theres a setting so that you can pick between 1, 2 or 1/2. select 1/2 after you choose where you want the audio to come from. I'm not too sure on the technical term on this or what it looks like in other DAWs but I would imagine its similar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:56 pm 

Why record it all at once though? I mean, since you're already using DAW?
Break it down into more separate channels and let it breathe, you don't need to mix it on DAW even, here's my work flow in these occasions :
(I'm using Cubase most of the time btw)
- Record the drums, but ENTIRE drum track - verse, chorus, bridge and all (use a metronome ofc, and if you're having trouble 'humming' the melody line, record it over the metronome first, for reference), using your favourite MFX or whatever. Then bounce it back to SP for another go with different efx (if there's a need to)
- Record the melody line and everything else really on top of this. Bounce it back either separately (for recording the take live) or mixed.

Now, the reasons I personally do this - better control and visual reference, faster work flow when chopping up samples and most importantly - keeping the mix clean to a point, because each resampling muddies the sound a bit, when done on SP. Matter of personal preference, really, but there you go.

Point being, there's really no need for you to record everything at once, especially if your levels are not being taken care of, and instruments are fighting for a spot in the mix.
That's another thing - each instrument should "sit" within his designated FREQ range. No point in having 10Khz on kick drum, or 50hz on snare.
Shape them as much as you can. Try to cut, because boosting doesn't work always (hard to boost frequency that wasn't recorded in the first place, plus you're boosting hiss, hum and such)
One of the biggest flaws with SP is no panning option, so since you're using DAW to record - that's a major plus for you, being able to widen the stereo and play with instruments positioning

Use it, goddamnit :)

Peace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:32 pm 

Yep, 100% take on on board what loop said. I personally prefer using the 404 almost solely, mixing and levelling in it, applying certain effects on it and arrange the track in its entirety via sequencer patterns which I then record out, but Loop’s got some great points about visual reference too. I think it’s all down to preference but if you’re in your early stages, I would encourage you to try as many methods as possible to achieve the sound you desire. When I first started I used to be fixed on the resample method, but then I tried out other ways and realised the sequencer was what I enjoyed using the most and made things sound the way I wanted. Loops got a really nice workflow he explained too so mess about with it as much as you can and you’ll twig it :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:38 pm 

Yo loop, I’m also guessing you record in stereo from out the 404 into ur daw? I have a feeling he’s also going through what I went through when I recorded out of my 404 at the start when it was recording one line of audio (either number 1 or 2) it was sounding just nothing like the 404, and when I switched to 1/2 (which I believe is stereo?) it sounded much better. If you could word this in a better way to my guy I’d appreciate it because I’m not too up to scratch in technical terms and what I’m describing might not be too clear haha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm 

Jaytreaze wrote:
Yo loop, I’m also guessing you record in stereo from out the 404 into ur daw? I have a feeling he’s also going through what I went through when I recorded out of my 404 at the start when it was recording one line of audio (either number 1 or 2) it was sounding just nothing like the 404, and when I switched to 1/2 (which I believe is stereo?) it sounded much better. If you could word this in a better way to my guy I’d appreciate it because I’m not too up to scratch in technical terms and what I’m describing might not be too clear haha

Yeah, I just take the RCA output and plug it into my sound card, but it's TRS left / right mono - and then I get fucked, because there's this thing with SP that one channel (usually left) is a wee bit louder :D
But, I mean... One's gotta figure out his own method / work flow. From what I read, I have a feeling it's not the issue of input connection, it's probably all of the samples being loud AND in full EQ spectrum - hard to tell without listening though, but it could create havoc in the mix (though he said he tried EQing it and what not, but from personal experience - there's no such thing as "we'll fix it in the final mix", you gotta have your levels and everything else already set.
That's one of the reasons that I prefer using Cubase to mixing it on SP (besides taking out the muddied factor when resampling) - it's basically the same thing, as in I'd do it the same way on SP (lay down the drums, then resample adding everything else layer by layer) - but this way I can check the levels prior to exporting all the tracks and laying down a live take on SP
THEN - when I recorded it directly to, say hand recorder - it sounds really good. All I gotta do afterwards is add a slight compression or something, and it's alright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 pm 

Yeah for sure, everything you don’t want that’s been left in the mix will only become more obvious in the master if you don’t sort that out haha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:51 am 

filipp? wrote:
btw how do i record two lines of audio?

As much as I love a good tangent. Since I have reaper open, to answer the op's question.
Right click on the tracks red "recording armed" button and you will see the following menu.
In the picture mono is selected, just click stereo left/right. If you are correctly plugged into 1 & 2 of your audio interface you will be recording stereo.

Attachments:
IMG_2051 forum.jpg
IMG_2051 forum.jpg [ 98.5 KiB | Viewed 16336 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 pm 

I don’t have reaper so I tried describing it but it was all based off ableton so I’m not sure if it came across clearly haha, I’m sure that was a lot more useful than how I described it, Crane, haha :D