It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Post subject: Grooveboxes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:06 pm 

I've just sold my Circuit and am kinda in the market for another portable device to pair well with the 404. I didn't get along with the circuit that well, all my tracks seemed to take on a weird electronica vibe I just wasn't feeling.

Current considerations:
- Roland MC-307
- Pocket operator set
- Possibly saving towards something like a OP-Z/OP-1 but im not 100% sold on these
- Maybe something in the Electribe series??

What are you guys into for sketching down ideas/inspiring creativity in general?

I would like to get into something battery powered or at least fairly portable (I could always use a power bank or something)

Post subject: Re: Grooveboxes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:10 pm 

Also looking at the Boss DR-202, anyone have experience with this one?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:07 am 

The DR-202 is a bit honestly dated. It was meant to be paired with the SP202 to trigger the samples from it. As a drum machine that does bass lines, it does the job. But it isn’t going to give you any pianos, acoustic/electric guitars, pads or synth lines. As long as you have another synth/rackmount rompler that will cover those bases, you can get your DAW or hardware sequencer to fill in those gaps when you chain the midi channels.

But a better groovebox would give you all the sounds you might want. Plus a sequencer to build your beats with BassLines, melodies, leads, FX, etc. There’s Korg Electribes (EM-1, EMX/ESX, E2) that might be something to look into.

Teenage Engineering PO’s are alright, but you are limited in storage, and they’re not that great for sequencing with other gear besides Korg Volcas & maybe some modular synths. They are cheap, but you need at least 2-4 to get a better pallet of sounds, and then they’re not so cheap. (After you bought a few). But it’s cool if you commute to work and don’t like making tunes on your smartphone.

I’ve never owned a MC-307, and it’s probably an alright groovebox, but the screen is tiny, and you may need to replace the internal battery to keep your patterns saved, since it’s a 25yr old unit. But it’s got more memory than the MC303 did for saving your patterns. But don’t expect to make sounds from scratch. It’s synth engine is mainly Rompler based, so if you need to create your own sounds, you might want to upgrade to a MC909 or Yamaha Rm1x/RS7000. (They’re rompler based as well, but you can make new patches if you know your way around FM synths).

You might even want to check out a MPC One as a capable groovebox, if you’re familiar with MPCs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 am 

Headphones wrote:
The DR-202 is a bit honestly dated. It was meant to be paired with the SP202 to trigger the samples from it. As a drum machine that does bass lines, it does the job. But it isn’t going to give you any pianos, acoustic/electric guitars, pads or synth lines. As long as you have another synth/rackmount rompler that will cover those bases, you can get your DAW or hardware sequencer to fill in those gaps when you chain the midi channels.

yes i still got one, it's a drum machine with a dedicate bass channel, it sounds lofi, for me ot's ok, but it's not a "complete groovebox"

Headphones wrote:
I’ve never owned a MC-307, and it’s probably an alright groovebox, but the screen is tiny, and you may need to replace the internal battery to keep your patterns saved, since it’s a 25yr old unit. But it’s got more memory than the MC303 did for saving your patterns. But don’t expect to make sounds from scratch. It’s synth engine is mainly Rompler based, so if you need to create your own sounds, you might want to upgrade to a MC909 or Yamaha Rm1x/RS7000. (They’re rompler based as well, but you can make new patches if you know your way around FM synths).

another good groovebox is the mc-505, nice sound (roland jv series engine) and very cool interface
rm1x is ok too
mc909-rs7000: i have both, they're bigger grooveboxes (in all senses) and they both have sampling capaticies plus a very well designed seq, but then the price is higher than all the other grooveboxes...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:01 am 

Have you considered a couple of Volcas? Or if you want something to midi sequence the 404 I highly recommend the digitakt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:54 pm 

Headphones wrote:

I'm mostly looking at groove boxes again for that "away from the computer" creativity. Im using Ableton Live a lot currently and have some decent synths knocking about. I just need something that's actually fun to compose on instead of staring at a computer screen, it just seems to turn my brain to mush when trying to write songs.

Headphones wrote:
But a better groovebox would give you all the sounds you might want. Plus a sequencer to build your beats with BassLines, melodies, leads, FX, etc. There’s Korg Electribes (EM-1, EMX/ESX, E2) that might be something to look into.

Teenage Engineering PO’s are alright, but you are limited in storage, and they’re not that great for sequencing with other gear besides Korg Volcas & maybe some modular synths. They are cheap, but you need at least 2-4 to get a better pallet of sounds, and then they’re not so cheap. (After you bought a few). But it’s cool if you commute to work and don’t like making tunes on your smartphone.

You might even want to check out a MPC One as a capable groovebox, if you’re familiar with MPCs.

I gonna try to find an Electribe to mess around on. They seem like a good creation interface to me (as does the MC-307 for simplicity reasons). I was even looking at the Electribe 2 series for grab&go type stuff. I don't necessarily need to make sounds from scratch because in all honesty im probably only gonna use this groovebox for MIDI stems and then run them through my DX7/Bass Station 2/Micron or whatever.

I do have a MPC1000 with JJOS I just busted back out yesterday. Im probably gonna spend some more time learning that and trying to use it opposed to Ableton for creating around the house.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:01 pm 

The Volcas have never appealed to me, but I also haven't had the chance to play with one yet.

I ended up winning a Pocket Operator PO-33 off ebay for a little over $50, so im excited to check that out! Kinda seems like a tiny 404 which I know for a fact I get along with workflow wise.

Ive also been really looking into Elektron gear. Maybe a Digitakt or Octatrak as a replacement for my MPC1000 (for some reason the MPC workflow feels sluggish to me but it sounds too good to get rid of yet).

Im definitely into the idea of having another sampler to bounce back and forth with the 404, I use the pattern sequencer a lot but it sucks when I want to resample that pattern down and apply effects.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 pm 

PO-33 is a steal for that price let alone retail. I get more done on my 33 then the 404 with the chromatic and drum slice. Make a bunch of beats, live record into the 404 and jam out like a boss.

As for grooveboxes:

OP-Z: just got one and it’s pretty cool but can’t directly sample unless it’s over USB or a trrs cable splitter that may or may not work with every device. Could not get the 404 to record into the Z.

Hearing real good things about Roland MC 101 & 707 don’t own either.

Deluge and MPC Live are both great boxes but I’m going sell the deluge eventually and keep the live. Deluge lack of a legible screen is brutal. It’s a step down from a 404 screen believe it or not.

Analog RYTM MKII now samples so I’d add that to my list of almost a groovebox. I owned a MKI and it was amazing. The only piece I regret selling.

There’s more but I’ll leave it here as I get depressed when I realize how much I’ve purchased and sold over the years and a $90 po-33 puts the biggest smile on my face.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:51 am 

Kegeratorz wrote:
OP-Z: just got one and it’s pretty cool but can’t directly sample unless it’s over USB or a trrs cable splitter that may or may not work with every device. Could not get the 404 to record into the Z.

That’s really unfortunate, I just feel like the OP-Z should be slightly more fully featured for the price. All the same it seems to be a good writing tool for many and I’d love to noodle around on one given the chance.

Kegeratorz wrote:
Hearing real good things about Roland MC 101 & 707 don’t own either.

Deluge and MPC Live are both great boxes but I’m going sell the deluge eventually and keep the live. Deluge lack of a legible screen is brutal. It’s a step down from a 404 screen believe it or not.

Analog RYTM MKII now samples so I’d add that to my list of almost a groovebox. I owned a MKI and it was amazing. The only piece I regret selling.

There’s more but I’ll leave it here as I get depressed when I realize how much I’ve purchased and sold over the years and a $90 po-33 puts the biggest smile on my face.

Those new Roland MC boxes look pretty nifty, I find I’m pulling more towards vintage 90s/2000s gear. Most modern outboard just feels like I might as well be working from a laptop.

I recently upped my MPC 1000 firmware from JJOS2xl to JJOS 3 and have been getting much more use with the new Play & Chop feature. Makes slicing things up 100x faster.

Still meaning to get an Elektron box at some point. The RYTM has caught my eye before, I’ll definitely give it some thought now.

I’m kinda reaching that point where I’m realizing less is more. I’ve been getting rid of a lot of unnecessary gear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:44 am 

I think grooveboxes are the bees knees. I'm not a real producer and will never claim to be. I just like shit to fuck with.

That being said and as you posted above about old machines. I would recommend the old electribe series. The original mki versions work as they should to this day and are easy and fun to play with (although I never liked the ea-1). The emx and esx are the best bang for the buck but a lot of them have had the knob jitter issues. Which can usually be fixed without doing all the stupid wax paper between boards b/s.

As ellaguru mentioned the mc505 and you mentioned the 307. The mc307 contains all the sounds of the 505 as well in a more compact package.
I have a couple roland mc307's, 303, and a D2 I was trying to get rid of before this outbreak for the ultimate mc707. But I cant image the build quality is not the same.

But when it comes to grooveboxes! I will never sell my Electribes! (everything is for sale for the right price!)

Attachments:
IMG_1633-forum.jpg
IMG_1633-forum.jpg [ 74.53 KiB | Viewed 22768 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:18 pm 

I concur on the old school Korg Electribes (mk1 & mk2). I’ve had a love/hate relationship with the EA-1, because sometimes it has a very aluminum or tin can sound, and other times it can somewhat mimic a TB303. I bought & sold it 3 times, but the 4th time was the keeper.

I have the ER-1 mk2 but it doesn’t have some of my favorite patterns of the mk1, so if I ever found a good deal on a mk1, I’d consider it. (Although it would just be used on rare occasions if I did).

I’m in the market for a ES-1, but my employment situation is sorta shaky at best at the moment, so if I should get a good deal on a mk2(or mk1), I’ll be sure to score one. Almost had the chance to get a ESX, but the condition was horrible and the pawn shop wasn’t willing to work something out. So I walked away. Now they’re highly sought after.

I’ve had the EM-1 a long time ago, and lost that when my life hit the skids. I miss it because even though it was a rompler, it had the same fx engine as the ES-1, even though you couldn’t do more than edit the pitch of the sounds. But it was still wicked fun. I’ve had the EMX before, but that got stolen from a “friend”. It was great to have more measures, FX routing, and 5 synth parts vs 2. I’d grab it if I had the funds.

The only Electribes I’ve never owned were the new ones. At some point I’ll look into one, but I just love the originals more though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:45 pm 

Crane wrote:
As ellaguru mentioned the mc505 and you mentioned the 307. The mc307 contains all the sounds of the 505 as well in a more compact package.

i had a D2 , nice sounds ,same engine of the mc505 (roland jv series)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 pm 

So Akai wasn’t kidding around when they made the XR20 as far as hip hop goes whenever this dropped. You want Rock patterns? Tough. You need some 180 bpm drum n bass? Nope. (Not saying it can’t, but Akai didn’t bother to make any). House? Breaks? Techno? Nope, no, and Fahgettabout it! This is a hip hop drum machine period! Which I imagine is most of you all here anyway.

Buuuut, I can absolutely get some great synth sounds/electronic kits from this! Just can’t expect any different genres programmed in this. I suppose I could get an Alesis SR18, but for all I know those patterns would suck anyway. But this is great for sampling into any SP.

Not exactly a groovebox, but it’s got plenty of memory for my own patterns. Just have to spend the time figuring it out. But once my RD9 arrives, the XR20 will just toss out some random drum hits, but essentially slave to the RD9!

Attachments:
10B7AFF0-F05D-4FB9-AF00-E496FFD88612.jpeg
10B7AFF0-F05D-4FB9-AF00-E496FFD88612.jpeg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 17793 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:09 am 

Sorry, tooting my horn all over this site! Got my MC909 finally. I’m not sure after I’ve learned everything it can do if I’ll want a MV8800, Akai MPC, or RS7000, or a MC707, but that is furthest from my mind for now. My MC909 might have some Stale cheesy Doritos of patterns, but there are some good ones. Just study how they made it and I’ll make my own!

Attachments:
BCF253F0-CDDB-470C-8CBB-D04E0096C93D.jpeg
BCF253F0-CDDB-470C-8CBB-D04E0096C93D.jpeg [ 123.9 KiB | Viewed 13806 times ]