It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: Effects pedals?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 pm 

Is there a multi-effects pedal that has good effects that works well for music production? Basically something like just the effects portion of the SP.

I know they make multi-effects for guitar/bass, but I am hesitant on that because stuff for electric guitar usually has automatic or hidden filtering in it (eg rolling off low frequencies, bumps and emphasis on the mids of a guitar range, amp/speaker sims, etc). I don't know about vocal effects, but I would imagine it is a similar scenario there with options limited to what sounds good on vocals.

I am really only familiar with guitar effect companies, but the closest thing I found is something like the Boss BR800 (which seems great as a mixer, too).

tldr: compact, good quality multi-effects unit for mixes?

Post subject: Re: Effects pedals?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:18 pm 

I use a Line 6 M5. It’s pretty easy to use. There’s loads of distortions, delays, eq, compression, flange/phase, filters, synth fx, and I find it handy to chain in when I need something extra to any sampler/synth/drum machine that just needs that missing ingredient. And I got it for $150 from Sweetwater, so you have plenty of knobs to blend how wet/dry you need to apply.

Only thing is, it’s only 1 affect at a time. There are other units that do more at once, but I don’t have a better unit to recommend other than this. It’s also got midi in/out, so you can sync it to your DAW, drum machines, or what have you, and make sure the FX stay in sync with your beat. Or just tap tempo it with your foot.

There’s no power button. So once you plug it in to your wall or surge protector it’s instantly on & ready to go. (Which sure beats waiting for it to load or whatever). It doesn’t run on batteries, so if you need to use it on a camp trip, this wouldn’t work for that.

There’s one of the knobs you gently press in when you want to switch what affect you want to use. (Light green is eq/compression, orange is delays/reverbs, blue is any phase/flange/ring mod, dark green for distortion/fuzz, etc).

Try it out, you might like it.

Attachments:
666AC4D1-7EC9-4E29-A54D-FDF6215F7099.jpeg
666AC4D1-7EC9-4E29-A54D-FDF6215F7099.jpeg [ 46.49 KiB | Viewed 15822 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:50 am 

That, that is pretty close to what I am looking for. How do the effects sound? How many of them do you find you use?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:52 pm 

Yeah, forgot to tell you about how it sounds! This thing is nuts. There’s great reverbs, delays, filters, fuzz/distortion, flange/phase, etc. I don’t use it as often as I should, but it’s quite handy for any device that has no FX to give it anything to make it sound better. Think of it this way: If you were to pick up the cheapest pedals you could find, you would probably be able to buy 3 or 4 of these, for ALL the included FX tossed into just this 1 pedal. (If you bought individual pedals for every effect this can do). Also, it’s stereo! Because most pedals out on the market are mono. But as I mentioned before, you’re only able to use one at a time. You can buy a better version of this, and probably be able to use more simultaneously, but it will cost you more.

And I’m sure there’s Roland or Korg products that do this as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:54 pm 

Dunno man, I always hated floor units. Processors, that is. Distortions are almost always crappy compared to individual stomp boxes, plus - like you said, they're tailored to fit either guitar or bass.
Had my share playing /owning everything from those first cheapest models in the early 90' (like Zoom 505, Korg Axb series, etc) up to more expensive ones like, say Boss GT series.. But, always preferred individual stomp boxes.. Dunno, just liked the warmth.

That said, it still boils down to what you're after - 'producing' is a bit of a strong word when it comes to these machines, but you can certainly use them along the line to create some unique sounds.
Like Headphones said, aim for stereo ones (not a lot of those, among the low to mid price range models), and those who provide you with options of using several different efx at the same time.

Personally, I would avoid floor units altogether, and try to hunt down those early to mid 90' rack units (Boss made a good one, can't remember the model.. Think there's TC Electronic and DigiTech models too, you could get cheap). There are some newer models ofc, but I never really had the chance of trying the more expensive ones out.
Did try out the cheap ones (floor units) like Zoom G1xon etc - FUCK THAT, wouldn't use it to start a fire with :)

There's also this baby :
https://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/pandoramini/

Some of my friends use it glued to the side of the mixer (or turntable), it's small, effective, not all that bad (besides awful distortions, but that's expected), up to seven efx simultaneously... I think "Mooer" has a similar model.

Think that could be exactly what you are looking for, but check out the reviews and all, I haven't had the chance of playing with Pandora in ages.

Or win a lottery and buy UAD :D

Edit : check out the 'Gearslutz' site, there are couple of threads about 80'/90' rack processing units, some of those are still being used today by various artists

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:41 am 

Boss Br80 also .. even more compact .. its got plenty guitar tones . not so easy to edit .. maybe Line 6 Pod ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:27 pm 

I’ve picked up 2 Behringer pedals,

Attachments:
85852181-B2B7-41C2-880B-D23932CBAC23.jpeg
85852181-B2B7-41C2-880B-D23932CBAC23.jpeg [ 56.84 KiB | Viewed 11843 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:31 pm 

And they work great. I use them for my Behringer RD6 and the octave works great on the kick & toms. The Reverb I use on snare & clap. One of the reverb actually pumps! So I’m definitely on the hunt for more cheap pedals. Haven’t gotten around to fuzz/overdrive or distortion quite yet. But those will be for making sounds nasty!!

Attachments:
F361D89E-CFA5-434A-A4D8-65DDB27B9218.jpeg
F361D89E-CFA5-434A-A4D8-65DDB27B9218.jpeg [ 424.06 KiB | Viewed 11843 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:43 pm 

You just reminded me, I'll have to look at some videos about the DR600. I've been curious for some time if the Spring Reverb on it has that awesome creepy sort of vibe to it that the one on the Volca Modular does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:07 pm 

Seems it doesn't but nice pedal for the price. For the price of some of those premium reverb pedals out there you could buy a whole bunch of these and have dedicated settings per unit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:34 pm 

Most dudes on the other forums go on & on about $3-700 reverb pedals, and hey, happy they’re happy with them. But until I can afford such units, a cheap Behringer can do the job. I’m sure later I can buy Strymon or Earthquaker Devices pedals, but I just needed a cheap reverb for my RD6. And there’s another Behringer reverb pedal I can get if I need another.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:32 pm 

Yeah, they're a bit insane on the prices those things. To be fair they do cost more to manufacture due to the likelyhood of them needing an FPGA to handle the DSP, but even so they are still insanely expensive for what they are.

I like the Strymon stuff but it's a bit hard to justify after KORG released the NUTEKT NTS-1 which basically does the same thing and a lot more besides, it can even be loaded with new effects and filter algorithms.

I've seen them go for as little as £85 brand new, and considering they handle high-end DSP, I think they're a bit of a bargain really. I have no interest in the sound generation aspect of it, but as a standalone filter and high-end effects box, it's bloody nice, cause even by default it features Korg's high-end Shimmer, Riser and Sub Reverbs.

There's quite a lot of reviews out there for it, but if you skip to the Delays and Reverb section of this video you'll see it's basically the same DSP used on the XD and Prologue.

KORG NUTEKT NTS-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhonu-rM0B0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:54 am 

I’m sure one day I’ll buy one. But I want a 404 mk2 now that I’m watching what it can do. So I think the NTS-1, it’s on the bottom of my wish list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:37 am 

Check Zoom MS-70CDR. It can be good for what you are looking. It's effects can be also chained.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:43 am 

Funny you mention Zoom, I’m picking up a MS60B bass pedal from my local pawn shop on layaway. It’s got hella fx just for bass, which is great for mono synths. (Such as my TD3), so chances are, I’ll want the one you just mentioned later.

Attachments:
E56ECF67-3173-48E1-94A7-75C7BA7AE3ED.jpeg
E56ECF67-3173-48E1-94A7-75C7BA7AE3ED.jpeg [ 66.63 KiB | Viewed 11771 times ]