It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

Post subject: iOS apps to complement SP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:01 pm 

I'm getting an ipad soon and was wondering if you guys knew of any useful or creative ways to use Beatmaker 3 alongside an SP. I'm getting Algoriddim Djay pro too. Are there any other apps you guys suggest I try?

Post subject: Re: iOS apps to complement SP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 pm 

Beatmaker is pretty fun. I've only gotten up to ver 2 because I use it on my big iPhone. I don't think they every released 3 for phones.

I picked up an iRig Keys 49 a while back and was playing around with some different ways to incorporate it. I was exporting samples from my previous 404 beats and then loading onto box or dropbox, whichever one it uses. Then making drum kits, and chromatic key rolls from my SP-processed chops in Beatmaker. It was entertaining for a minute, but it didn't last... I'm back on my SP shit. :mrgreen:

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:18 am 

I like to dl just about any iOS app for synths, sampling, beat making, loops, etc. But some I hardly use. Many are free, and many want $5-20. That being said, it’s hard to say which ones BEST compliment your SPs. I find it problematic to use say a synth app, Midi up to a FX app, or to a drum sequencer app. If it was real gear, it’d be a piece of cake. Midi cable outs to ins. But with iOS I just can’t get apps to work together much, if at all.

One I recommend for sure is Korg Gadget. They’re always making new gadgets for it to give you more sounds. Acoustic, electronic, it’s got it all. You can make beats with it that you can sample into your SP for great effect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:01 am 

While we're on this, would Bankrobber work on iPad Air2?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:36 am 

Just to add on to the list in case ayone else cares about this shit. I found a lesser known app called UVI Beathawk and its a weird little mpc type app but the pattern sequencer is great. Its very intuitive and good at what it does like the SP in a way. If you want to chop a sample its very much like an SP in that regard cuz you just copy pads and set start and end. ( i dont really use it for that though) Right now I'm using beathawk mainly drum sequencer and library on my ipad. Its amazing for that! I make a hot drum pattern in the app then sample it into the Sp and were off to the goddamn races. I also bought some synth packs from within the Beathawk app and theyre top notch quality i gotta say.

Beathawk and Djay have become my go to companion apps for the sp.

Also found this Free app called Concentric that is fucking Bonkers. I need to experiment more with it cuz its pretty interesting. The user interface is unlike anything ive seen before, its designed around the geometry of sound and looping layers of circles. It looks very artsy. I just got it and havent fucked around with it much. I'm sure I'll eventually make some very weird edm with app. Once again its FREE

heres a tutorial video so you can see what im talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vLMg42ztS0

Im gonna buy korg gadget soon and post my thoughts here when i do.

I'm trying to keep this thread alive so if anyone knows of any other weird apps like Concentric let me know. especially if theyre free

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 am 

Gadget is loads of fun! Also pretty helpful for sketching out ideas given that you can export everything to Ableton Live.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:05 pm 

Gadget is cool. I bought the paid version immediately after messing with it.

Also there is a thread on the forum about the Koala sampler app. I bought that app and it is the closest thing to an sp I’ve ever messed with hardware or software. It’s pretty much a 404sx with wav form editing like 505 606 screen. You can also pitch samples chromatically like the 505 but the 505 pitch feature sounds like a garbage truck. And it has a great sequencer that can resample to a pad.

Koala is the definitive iOS app for SP lovers
It embodies the spirit of barebones fun that I get from sps. I can’t stress the fun part enough. I hope they release the vst Version Soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:22 am 

Devee wrote:
Also there is a thread on the forum about the Koala sampler app. I bought that app and it is the closest thing to an sp I’ve ever messed with hardware or software. It’s pretty much a 404sx with wav form editing like 505 606 screen. You can also pitch samples chromatically like the 505 but the 505 pitch feature sounds like a garbage truck. And it has a great sequencer that can resample to a pad.

Koala is the definitive iOS app for SP lovers
It embodies the spirit of barebones fun that I get from sps. I can’t stress the fun part enough. I hope they release the vst Version Soon.

Just looked into this, even the layout is very 404! Quick question, is there a way you can sample audio from within iOS straight into the app for being super on the go?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:58 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSlmOpSZiaU

The developer posted this video which requires a little interface.

I think there are other apps that route audio but i haven't messed with any.

I have the same interface its only 30 bucks behringer. Get this badboy and you Have a Koala 404sx that can sample from anywhere. Limitless possibilities :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:23 pm 

I tried Caustic (not iphone SE friendly AT ALL) and Maschine (m''kay..) years ago and it was "meh"...
Gadget is fabulous, Koala looks good (never tried it tho).
I like nanoloop, the 8 bit sounds limitations really give something interesting.
Diabia$e showed what you can do with Zenbeats on insta (Roland iPhone app).
I never forgot this app called "Beatsurfing" available only on ipad (which I haven't) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9elZtyE3pY

I just want a 3milimeters wide 404 (and less than 300gr) with a luminous e-link screen (let's dream) which works with any micro SD card.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:16 am 

HELLOPILLOW wrote:
=Koala looks good (never tried it tho).

You need to try it bruh!!! its an SP404/303 Bootleg Clone as far as im concered. If it were a physical machine it would be considered an SP family cousin on the forums, much like the ZOOM sampletrak is considered a cousin. It's only like 6 bucks super cheap!!!

Gadget is sick af. That app made me finally learn how to MIDI sync devices and have a more sophisticated setup. I think I made the leap from like a begginer to advanced beatmaker/user finally. :P

So far I've learned how to MIDI sync iOS apps using Ableton Link and Sycing MIDI clock through AUM app and then sending/recieving that clock out/from both my DAW [Ableton] And Hardware [Volca Sample].

Basically I'm learning MIDI routing once and for all. I purchased a Korg Volca Sample and now im making dancy ass minimal house tracks. I'm doing this by MIDI syncing Korg Gadget app to my physical device the Volca Sample. which was very simple to figure out and set up. Synthy Arpeggios Galore!!

To keep this relevant to the forums I'll talk about the SP 404sx for a bit. So As i just stated sending MIDI out from IOS is somewhat easy to figure out and set up using the AUM app as the Master Clock. AUM sends MIDI clock from the ipad to the Volca Sample. The Ipad MIDI Clock triggers playback at a specified bpm on the Volca Sample. But.... for whatever reason using that same set up, it DOES NOT trigger pattern playback or any sort of BPM syncing on the sp404sx. I have no idea where im going wrong but im determined to figure this shit out!!!

Once I figure this out I'll make a youtube tutorial cuz i think the SP community could greatly benefit from this knowledge and no one else on youtube (that i know of...) has specifically covered this topic.

ON A SIDENOTE... MIDI syncing the SP404sx to ableton is also very easy and I'm not aware of any video online that explains how to do that (could be wrong tho). I'll probably make a video about this too and show people how to set up a basic synchronized workfow.

I have seen people post basic ass videos on how to record SPs into DAWs but what I'm talking about is more advanced and specific to the SP404sx. It involves quite a few more specific steps BUT your resampled loops, sequenced patterns, and SP effects will be recorded in perfect time.BPM dependent effects like Delay and BPM LOOPER will trigger in perfect time ass time!!

So be on the lookout for that. I'll make a new thread for that soon. Just trying to up everyones SP game in 2019. Much Love fam!!

If anyone has iOS tips n tricks, knows of a dope new app, or just wants to discuss workflow between iOS and any SP I'm down as fuck to get that dialogue going on this tread. You can dm me on soundcloud as well. Much love fam!