It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

Post subject: Cleaning Smoke Damage
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:10 pm 

Hi fam,

I recently got an SP404 OG, I alrady had one which was beautiful, white pads, everything was clean af. But it got stolen after a gig. I saved some money didn´t wnt to repeat myself so bought an SX, first impression, they didn´t sound the same, but still i used it and found very nice how fast and versatile it is in comparison. But followed and saved money for getting an OG back, my surprise when the prices had skyrocketed. Man all super crazy expensive because of the hype, so nothing available, unless I ordered it from japan but the shipping plus the tax was a no-go.
So I found one on eBay, which was not so expensive still reasonable for $230... had the original card and the original box, but didn´t have the power supply though... So I bought it. And I tried it sounds amazing, almost forgotten that fat sound. But it stinks so bad to tobacco and some deodorant, I mean it reeks, and the pads are not anymore yellow but seriously they are brown with redish colour. I mean looks vintage, but i am not a (tabacco) smoker so it´s disgusting really.... I was looking for a way to clean the pads and also wondering that the circuit might be also covered on smoke resin, and dust so was considering on cleaning the machine.

Does anyone of you have gone through something like this? Or are there any tips any tutorial or knowledge on these things:
1 how to get the pads clean??
2 how to clean the circuit board from smoke?
3 how to remove the smell?

I know some of you might say to buy the mpcstuff fat pads but I really like the feel of the OGs stiff pads, not so clicky as the SX, plus the version they sell doesn´t match the OGs....

Thanks for the support peeps. Here is something I did as soon as I plugged the 404OG in:

https://soundcloud.com/delaluzz/rawthirdeyespaceshit

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Smoke Damage
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:32 pm 

Welcome to the forums!

Try posting over here and you will have a better chance of finding the help you are looking for...

viewforum.php?f=3

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 am 

This is on a sp202 but the concept is the same as I like to de-germ the f*ck out of anything I buy.
On the 404 you will have the 4 screw on top. I think they are 2.5mm allen, take the face plate off.
On the back you have six screws. The two on the bottom are fine thread for metal, the two in the middle and top are plastic thread. Keep that in mind when you screw the b*tch back together.

Take the faceplate and knobs off the front.
Unscrew the back. When you lift it up you will need to unplug the two pin battery plug from the power board.
Removing the rest of the internals should be pretty self explanatory at that point.

Put the internals in a bag, you can spray them down with CRC contact cleaner if you want.

Soak the rest in hot water.

The faceplate and plastics can be scrubbed with a toothbrush and dish soap.

The pads should be soaked for a couple days in hot water and scrubbed with a toothbrush.

The reddish yellow is probably from the sun so the color won't change but the smell will go away.

Attachments:
IMG_0961forum.jpg
IMG_0961forum.jpg [ 192.01 KiB | Viewed 8475 times ]
IMG_0962Forum.jpg
IMG_0962Forum.jpg [ 222.58 KiB | Viewed 8475 times ]
IMG_0963forum.jpg
IMG_0963forum.jpg [ 253.42 KiB | Viewed 8475 times ]
IMG_0964forum.jpg
IMG_0964forum.jpg [ 138.89 KiB | Viewed 8475 times ]
IMG_0965forum.jpg
IMG_0965forum.jpg [ 171.31 KiB | Viewed 8475 times ]
IMG_0966forum.jpg
IMG_0966forum.jpg [ 161.74 KiB | Viewed 8475 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:42 pm 

Test run

Last edited by Crane on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 pm 

Wow man, this looks amazing! I will definitely try it. I really thank you for taking your time in sharing your experience and tips and for your empathy also. I will disemble mine and be very careful not to damage the contact material behind the pads.

Best,

DELALUZZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm 

Crane wrote:
I like to de-germ the f*ck out of anything I buy.

Exactamundo. I can't stand dirty stankin ass neglected gear.

MBP 11,3 | Logic Pro X | Ableton Live 9 | Traktor Pro 2 | MPC3000LE, MPC4000, MPC500, MPK-49 | MV-8800, (2) TR-707, TR-808 & TR-909 | (3) ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | (2) Technics SL-1200MK1 & SL-1200GLD | 4000+ records