It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

Post subject: Re: Thougts on Roland CDX-1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 pm 

Crane wrote:
These are sucker machines at this point. If you buy one you are a sucker.
The concept is great it is a sp202 mixed with a Roland vs880 and all the effects of the sp808.

The problem is the media. The rw cd's these use have a shelf life which has already expired and there is no way to change out the format of the drive. You can't use the multitrack mixer without a writable cd and you can't save your samples either.
So unless you buy a unit with working cd's you are screwed.

Edit: Yeah the going price should be around $60

lotta people could say that about the media of the 808's.

its still a good machine that goes for $200-$300.

it's not like you can't find RW cd's these days. just saw a 40 pack at costco for $8.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:23 am 

Mr. Thraz

I have to ask did you ever buy one?
as your initial statement was

"i wanted to buy one myself, the cd-rw kept me from doing it."

I ask because you say you can buy media that works for it from costco and I'm wondering if this is true.

I bought one for $30 tried all types of newer cd-rw cds and none would work in the machine. I tested compact flash drives - no go, tested hard drives - no go.
bought old stock (15 cd's) of 10x speed cd rw disc that were recommended for the machine and all were dead past their shelf life. and yes I even tried replacing the drive with a compatible drive.
I have done my research and years ago people were asking where to get cd's that would still work.

Yet you claim an $8 pack of cd's from costco will work? Please provide a video as people are begging for a resolution with these machines.

I ended up selling it for $80, and I fully agree with you that these machines would be awesome units but there is no medium for them.

As for the sp808, I won't use it and I hated the machine for the zip drive and trust me I did experimentation on all kinds of shit to get it to work with a compact flash. Without the protocol of blah blah blah, that I can't remember or care for that was implemented in the mpc2000 drive nothing else will replace it. But that is due to firmware. In my research there is a bunch of computer nerds that were previously trying to reverse engineer the edirol/Roland A-6 which will accept a hardrive. But the tread dropped dead.
At the end of the day the A-6 firmware can still be dropped into the sp808 making a hard drive format possible.

And despite the tangent, zip disk are readily available as well as drives as opposed to 10X CD-RW disk.

If you actually have a working cdx with costco cd-rw disc please let us know, if not you are only spreading false hope for some dumb-ass fool willing to drop $200-$500 on a machine that won't work.

Crane.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7aHO_19QE
https://www.amazon.com/KHypermedia-4x-1 ... B01HIS147E

here's the CDX-1 working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SiAEbiBsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4v6WVttB9E

here are two videos of the 808 with working CF card-readers.

also make sure the ram in you cdx-1 is good, if not, no cd will ever work in it.

yours was probably broken, which makes sense, you got it for $30.

i know 2 people personally who use cdx-1's. they let me play with theirs and yes. their cd drives worked... and no. no one i know was able to swap out the cd drive for a cf card reader on the CDX-1. but you never know it could happen one day.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:48 am 

yes. I'm fully aware you can buy cd's from amazon. my question to you was do you own a CDX and do the cd's from costco/amazon work?

The unit I had was in full working condition despite the price, and it could be used as the reggie reg video that you posted. Once you turn the off the unit the samples are gone. Sure as fuck didn't see reggie reg saving them to cd and reggie is notorious for trying and flipping gear. Again, the machine is dope but you cannot buy medium for it.

As mentioned above, I know card readers work on sp808's, they are from original blue mpc2000's. Again I researched the shit out of them and the protocols as well as tried shit loads of drives, readers etc. in sp808's. They are rare and old eject-able drives for compact flash.

Ghostbazz is a machine on the 808 and has a card reader installed. My point being is that card reader or not the zip on the 808 can always be found or ultimately replaced for cost as you initially brought up it's shitty medium.

My question to you is do you own a cdx and can you 100% say cd-rw from costco and amazon will work in it? As everything I tried did not work.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:21 am 

just to add on to this.

New record-able cd-r's worked fine in the unit. I'm questioning the cd-rw that are used to store samples.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:48 pm 

Crane.

PM me your phone #.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:13 pm 

This machine has a bad wrap by people who don’t know what they’re doing with it. I own a Roland CDX-1 and have for years I first bought it when it came out to record my Dj mixed CD’s and sample my Dj cuts and drops the effects and sampler were super dope to make remixes, add sound effects and cue drops at the time for a Dj there was nothing like it. Then it got stollen from me but I ended finding one years later online dirt cheap and I’ve had it ever since still use it to sample and record CDz to this day..The problem that all of you that hate on this machine are running into is your buying the wrong CDRW and probably formatting them wrong. The specific brand I use to store samples are Memorex high speed CDRW and are available on Amazon.com I just bought another pack about 2 weeks ago as long as you format them right and your cd drive is functional you can store and save your samples just fine. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying one or having problems saving sample.