It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

Post subject: Is the SP555 basically a more powerful 404?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:41 pm 

I've had the SP404SX for a few years and I love it. It's one of the most fun electronics I own. I mainly use it for chopping up drum breaks and having complete control over each drum sound (a playable kick, snare, closed hat, open hat on their own pads on the bottom) and the rest of the pads for old samples or cool sounds in order to play them all at once and make lofi old school beats.

I love the flow of working with the 404 and being able to have it on the couch or even on the go with me and plug my phone in and sample and play in seconds. Basically I am a huge fan of the 404. But there are just a few things I would want to upgrade-

1.) wish I could save effects to different samples or pads (without resampling).. or even just allow me to have more than one effect on a pad at a time.

2.) I wish I could resample more than 2 sounds/pads being triggered at once. Makes resampling and looping a drum beat played from 3 pads (kick,snare,hat) very difficult.

And that's about it. I'd want everything else to stay the same on the 404.

So basically wondering if you guys knew of anything that works like that. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for a device that did everything the 404 does + that 2 things I added.

I'm considering the MPC1000, but I'm pretty smooth with the FUNCTION copy/exchange system and resampling and all the basics on the 404 so that's why I am wondering if the 555 would be an easier transition for me? Would the MPC1000 be too foreign/complicated?

Because there is a lot I don't have any clue about on my current 404- like the sequencing and quantizing or what the "sample mode" does.. Does the SP555 just have a lot more of those bells and whistles? Does the 555 have all the same features as the 404? Thanks for any answers!

Post subject: Re: Is the SP555 basically a more powerful 404?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:46 pm 

try getting an OP-1 . it's a step up from 404 imo . Different . But you got 4 tracks you can mute and unmute .. master channel . Linear loop recording .

Only thing would be different is sample chopping . The 404 you do by ear . The OP-1 you can tweak closer.

Look at reviews i guess . OP-1 x 404sx .. incredible duo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm 

.. also .

Don't forget the onboard synth models ..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:56 pm 

If you don't mind mono samples, get the Digitakt. Would make a great combo with the 404.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm 

The MPC 1000 is a great sampler although it is more of a studio sampler than a portable and easy to use sampler like the 404. The good thing is you can layer a sample. (for example a snare and a clap can be on the same pad which makes for a much more unique approach and doesnt require resampling.) you can also have up to 2 effects on different pads, however the effects on the mpc are very weak IMO. They also take much more tweaking to make them even sound musical. The sequencer is much better on the 1000 because you get up to 64 tracks which means your beats can be much more intricate. Basically the MPC is great if your beats consist of short sample chops, and more sequneces. the sp404 is better for storing more files and immediacy especially because the memory on the 404 is way bigger than the mpc (128mb ram) (2gb CF card)