It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Post subject: Second Annual Mixtape Marathon & Half Marathon!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 pm 

Alright fam... looks like we have a tradition in the making. Shout out to SLVG for sparking up our collective motivation on this.

Rules:

Open Instrumentation... use an SP prominently in your production flow. Aside from that, anything goes... but be prepared to share your production methods, at least a general explanation of what you used and how.

Open Budget... $15 sounds like a good place to top out, but seriously... I don't think this needs to be a big deal. There is a special "Low Budget Merit Badge" you will earn if you keep your total spending under $10. :mrgreen:

Runtime... this is a major requirement that must be met. Minimum of 13 minutes for the half marathon (which is the approximate mileage of a half marathon race). Minimum of 20 minutes for the full marathon.

Ultra Marathon... Minimum of 20 minutes, all SP, no outside drums! This one takes a lot of guts! Will anyone complete the Ultra?! Combine it with the Low Budget Merit Badge for ultimate bragging rights.

Learning Factor... a special point of emphasis this time around will be publishing our finished mixtapes to a mainstream outlet of digital distribution, like Spotify. This will be an area where some have more experience than others. We can discuss pros and cons of various options throughout the process, and prop each other up to make sure every competitor crosses the finish line.

Goals: 1. completing said quantity of music at the highest level possible, using blends and transitions, controlling the pace of the project, and incorporating a narrative element; and 2. Publishing finished mixtape to a mainstream outlet of digital distribution, like Spotify.

The spirit of this challenge is about supporting your fellow competitors across the finish line! Of course we will still vote and crown a champ... but at the end of the day, the main goal is to walk away from this with an elevated level of knowledge/expertise, confidence, and a finished project to add to your discography.

Please feel free to share any concerns or questions that come to mind!

BONUS: All competitors who complete either the full or half marathon will have their names included on a custom t-shirt to memorialize the event. The idea is to design something with all our names on it that we can make available either at cost, or with any profits going toward a prize pool for the highest vote getters. We can discuss this further once we get the event underway.

SOUNDCLOUD

Post subject: Re: Second Annual Mixtape Marathon & Half Marathon!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:14 pm 

I'm in :P & I'm still in love with your last mixtape Ghost Bazz!!!!

If doing the half marathon & using other gear.... can we use ANYTHING as long as our sp is the main instrument we use & the main sounds/samples come from the records (max of $15)?

I know you typed "anything goes" just want to make sure that...... anything goes 8)

My 404sx will be my main instrument, but I would love to use a bass guitar & Op-1 synths to compliment the samples from the records. I would also love to use a K.O. for drum crunch & a few guitar pedals for additional effects.

The first Mixtape Marathon was the only mixtape I've ever done & I only used my sx. I LOVED the challenge of using only my sx, but I turned it in unfinished & I think if I can use other sounds/gear I can really make my mixtape shine this time around :mrgreen:

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 pm 

Yo Sharris!!! That's what I'm talkin bout!!! Was hoping to hear from you! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words! And yes... you did your thing last time! Do it again, but with more stuff!

Totally open instrumentation... source material should be present in the mix to some degree, but how much or how little is up to each participant. And as long as you're incorporating an SP, it doesn't even need to be the main instrument. Let's aim for new innovative work flows... & using our SP's in a variety of ways throughout the project. Of course anyone who wants to go OG is welcome to it, and will no doubt garner props for doing so.

It's a lot of music to come up with, and I know that I'm gonna need some variety in production methods to keep shit fresh. It's also cool when you have one song in progress on your 404 and another one on your 808... or MPC... or whatever. So you can bounce back and forth without having to finish one before working on the next.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 pm 

Thanks man!

Ghost Bazz quotes:
Let's aim for new innovative work flows... & using our SP's in a variety of ways throughout the project.
It's a lot of music to come up with, and I know that I'm gonna need some variety in production methods to keep shit fresh. It's also cool when you have one song in progress on your 404 and another one on your 808... or MPC... or whatever. So you can bounce back and forth without having to finish one before working on the next.

I was thinking the same thing. I love to experiment, I love combining hardware, trying out different techniques, using different methods. This Mixtape Marathon would be perfect for that!!

I can't wait to hear what everyone comes up with!!!

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:50 am 

I think I wanna try this out :)
Got a question though - can I use the vinyl I already have, or do I have to acquire especially for the mixtape? Since I purchased recently about 50 seven inch records, for like 30$ - the advantages of the flea market :mrgreen: haven't even had the chance to hear them out properly tbh. It's mostly R'n'R and folk music from my country, dating back to 60' or so.
I was thinking of using maximum ten of those

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm 

I'm half-broken this month, but I got a bunch of shitty vinyl I randomly got past months and went for the thrift store to try to exchange them for some credit. I also took a Led Zeppelin biography (and I'm glad I did, the owner really dig Zeppelin and was interested in reading the book, so he gave me nice credit for that).
The guy on the store gave me what would roughly translate as 15$. This is what I have to work with now.

Attachments:
IMG_20190802_095333863.jpg
IMG_20190802_095333863.jpg [ 124.95 KiB | Viewed 11324 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:
I think I wanna try this out :)
Got a question though - can I use the vinyl I already have, or do I have to acquire especially for the mixtape? Since I purchased recently about 50 seven inch records, for like 30$ - the advantages of the flea market :mrgreen: haven't even had the chance to hear them out properly tbh. It's mostly R'n'R and folk music from my country, dating back to 60' or so.
I was thinking of using maximum ten of those

Yeah man... that's all good! Glad to have you along!

forest wrote:
I'm half-broken this month, but I got a bunch of shitty vinyl I randomly got past months and went for the thrift store to try to exchange them for some credit. I also took a Led Zeppelin biography (and I'm glad I did, the owner really dig Zeppelin and was interested in reading the book, so he gave me nice credit for that).
The guy on the store gave me what would roughly translate as 15$. This is what I have to work with now.

Nice! These look like some promising albums. Good score!

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 pm 

Here's my 15 bucks worth.
EDIT:Big dumb picture

Attachments:
my-tapes.jpg
my-tapes.jpg [ 33.43 KiB | Viewed 11181 times ]

Last edited by SLVG on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:24 pm 

Shhhh... don’t tell anyone about Kitaro. :mrgreen:

I just balled out at the goodwill. I have a question... r DVDs in or out?

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:19 am 

For sure, dvd, vhs, laserdisc, gamegear cartridge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:54 pm 

Excellent! I’m gonna supplement my selection w a quick trip to Value Village at lunch... or I’ll b stuck using this Genesis tape, and a couple bummer movie picks. Will post my spoils this evening!

@SLVG
Any chance u can resize ur pic homie? This is a thread people will b coming back to for days... u don’t want that jumbo pic to stand for all eternity. If u don’t have resizing software u might b able to email the pic to urself and select the smallest file size. 8)

Value Village got the tapes yo! Bumped the DVDs I picked up for $2.50/ea right out of the running. Here’s what I got... seems like a ton of good stuff for only $15!

Edit: my pretax total for these is right at 15. I’ll probably cut 1 movie and 1 tape prior to launch.
Attachment:
42185F53-B72B-403F-9E84-35A798E0849A.jpeg
42185F53-B72B-403F-9E84-35A798E0849A.jpeg [ 140.15 KiB | Viewed 11183 times ]

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:43 am 

Wanted to get in on the full marathon as a challenge, spent £5 and as with most my digging on absolute shite!! Theres one drum break but the rest are pretty crap!
Is it ok to go out on multiple digging sessions as long as it adds to $15? I think thats about £12?!

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:34 pm 

^Most definitely. I took the best stuff from two separate outings.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:03 pm 

I'll try the ultra. For how long are we going to run the marathon? 1 month?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 pm 

Excellent!

Yes, let’s try for a month. Its not a hard deadline tho. We'll see how everyone progresses and adjust if needed.

SOUNDCLOUD