It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Post subject: Thinking about getting studio monitors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:24 am 

so I can mess around in the Sp404 & hear exactly what I’m doing what kind of audio interference should I get for this operation? (Don’t have a computer) Incase that’s needed thanks!

Post subject: Re: Thinking about getting studio monitors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 am 

What are you looking to spend? How big is your studio? Are you looking to go beyond JUST your 404? Or is that all you need??

I use KRK Rockit 5s, and they have RCA jacks, so if you have a rca cable to your audio outs of the 404 into your monitors, you should be good. I don’t know why you need a audio interface if you have no computer. If you plan to get one, and a computer, then decide how many channels you need, what you’re willing to spend, if you need a midi controller for softsynths, or just get Reason/FruityLoops/Ableton, etc.

Plan this out carefully if you plan to drop cash, but aren’t sure what to get. Just keep asking questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:07 am 

Headphones wrote:
I use KRK Rockit 5s, and they have RCA jacks

+1 on the KRK's here, been a user and abuser for a long time. They do "lie" on lower frequencies a bit (as in not truly flat), but for that price range (350$ and steadily dropping, since new generation have been introduced) it's a steal. Quite versatile, loud and durable imho - except for the fact that I do use (and I highly recommend it) balanced TRS rather than RCA. Probably would go for XLR but as it happens, I had some decent TRS balanced collecting dust, so I used them.
The sound will improve dramatically.
This means you'd either have to introduce mixer into your settup, or to find adequate adapter - from the SP's RCA to monitors TRS or XLR (I'd suggest mixer, simply because you'll have more control and response, and you're probably going to need it later on when you start buying more gear :) )

You can also check out Kurzweil Ks40a, they're around 100$ and sound absolutely incredible for that price tag, though it can't be really placed in the same ball park as the KRK's. But they could be a good start for mixing - mind you, they sound TERRIBLE. Just like a true studio near field monitor SHOULD sound :) because if you make your track sound good on those Kurzweil's, it'll sound awesome anywhere. Purposely built like that :D
But I've been using them occasionally, and they do the job solid.

One other solution would be 5.1 system, for example Genius SW HF-6000.
Man, that thing is BRUTAL yo. I think it's around 200$ but the sound it spews out pffffffft killer. I use it in my Caffe Gallery, combined with the KRK's and couple of other monitors, I swear to God the "sub" is ALWAYS around - 5 (it's - 8 to +8 scale) and it tears the house down. Check out the review for it, you'll be surprised. Truly an amazing system, with a few downsides (no memory for the speakers setting, no stand by button, etc) but, again, for that price ..phew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 am 

+1 on the Rockits, had the 8 inchers for a stint, but bought a pair of 8 inch Behringer Truths because they were cheaper. Sound though, very prestine! Will handle low end like a charm and if you connect your SP straight to them, you'll get its true sound. Rockits I returned because the switch was too delicate for my rough housing.