It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

Post subject: no 404 right now
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 am 

Still there are some usernames i recognize here on the forum. I miss you. Yes, I sold my SP-404... Dumbest move. But I feel deep in my heart that I will become an SP-404 owner again... 404A I guess. Before this autumn... (northern hemisphere)

Post subject: Re: no 404 right now
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:09 pm 

Glad you still coming around. I had sold my stuff too, hard times will get ya. But I'm back up. I just bought a 404A and I never touched a newer SP since the 606 back in 2006. So the improvements since the 303 really shine. Things are more easier and faster. Upset that the timestretch is still 2006 though. Other than that I find it cool to chop to SD cards, put them in the Caustic app and load them into my Volca Sample to really mangle shit up. Then maybe sample it into the 404A. They're a lethal combo.

As it is, the 404SX/A is a really powerful sampler, I like it keeps the spirit of the older SPs in operation because I got on it in seconds. Again, if it had pitch tuning, ability to resample patterns and Ext Source, it would be the end-all sampler for me and the only sampler I'll need (with maybe two more sealed in boxes :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:03 am 

Heard!
I'm SP-less right now.
I'm still holding a SampleTrak ST-224.

But in search of a 505 bad!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 pm 

You sell (almost) all your musical gear. After awhile you realize what you miss. All I kept was two Yamaha QY-10 :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 pm 

Same thing happens with vinyl. You sell your records that been collecting dust.
Then, get rid of them on the low. Then a month later, they're back in your wantlist on Discogs.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:14 pm 

Yeah... that 404 is so good to come back to. It's an amazing creative tool. Pretty much holds it's own against any other standalone sampler. Get yourself another! :D

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 pm 

:shock: It's an SP-303 for sale in Sweden. My SP-less heart screams. My brain says no no no no. That slow old machine will not help you! Get an SP-404A!
If you, the seller, reads this and send me a message, then I will buy your SP-303. Now it's not my fault if I buy it! :idea: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:26 pm 

if you can get a 404sx for cheaper than 404a make sure you do, because there's absolutely no difference, besides the paintjob

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:18 am 

zendan wrote:
if you can get a 404sx for cheaper than 404a make sure you do, because there's absolutely no difference, besides the paintjob

So I have understood. I had a 404 OG. What is the biggest improvement? Updated memory card? File handling?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:59 am 

gis_sweden wrote:
zendan wrote:

So I have understood. I had a 404 OG. What is the biggest improvement? Updated memory card? File handling?

WOOOAAAHHH MMMAAANNNN
don't even get me started

if you want to know the exact difference feel free to google

"sp404 specs" and compare to "sp404sx specs"

the roland website will give you every single specification possible

but, besides the amazing SD card the SX has, it also samples in a 16bit LOSSLESS wav format. yes, you read that right. LOSSLESS.
this means that theoretically, whatever is sampled into the SP404SX will be an EXACT EXXXAAACCCTTT copy of that source.

this is wonderful news for people who sample analog, vinyl, etc. if they want some hi fidelity beautiful analog fidelity.

however, some people look more for that lofi low bitrate low sample rate shitty sound. for you you should look at older samplers.

the SP404SX is literally the pinnacle of fidelity and ergonomics in hardware samplers.

personally, as i've evolved, i make most of my hardware beats on an older sampler, then i record into my sp404sx for the beautiful lossless wavs, i plug the SD card into my computer, and transfer those files to my computer.

the only negative i see the 404sx has compared to the OG404 is the lack of vinyl sim comp. this is probably the most amazing and beautiful and RIDICULOUSLY COMPLICATED, NEVER REPLICATED compression algorithm ever created. shit doesn't even make any sense.

other than that, everything is better.

UNLESS you're looking for a shittier sound on purpose

i'm not sure the exact specs of the 404og but you can look them up for sure. it's definitely NOT lossless. lossy sample rates are something you'd want if you want an old school sound.

that's basically it.

check the specs online, roland website, google those things i said

lmk if you have any questions!

oh yeah, 404sx probably has a lot more memory too, and faster ram. not sure tho, fact check me.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:02 am 

I like my sx because it's fast. Sd card allows you to record and resample with no lag. Works as fast as your fingers. Also samples are stored on the card as .wav or .aiff, drag and drop with your card reader easy. Everyone wants og compression but it's a crutch if that's all you rely on

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 am 

IIIII wrote:
I like my sx because it's fast. Sd card allows you to record and resample with no lag. Works as fast as your fingers. Also samples are stored on the card as .wav or .aiff, drag and drop with your card reader easy. Everyone wants og compression but it's a crutch if that's all you rely on

yep like i said more memory more ram and SD card for transfer to and from your computer

although, i'm not saying to rely on it as a crutch man!!! jeez!!! ease up :lol: :lol: :lol: it's just a really amazing and completely unique compression algorithm. depending on what sound i'm going for, i actually prefer classic analog compression a lot of the time

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 am 

There are many ways to the top the mountain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:31 am 

IIIII wrote:
There are many ways to the top the mountain

wym? like jerking off vs. nutting in a prostitute? ahahahah

much respect to an OG sp user

which sampler is your weapon of choice? (bottom bitch)
from the sounds of your latest beat... maybbeeeee 303? maybe 202? ( **followed )

303 is my weapon of choice. most perfect sampler of all time imo

if you want you can check out my works thru the link in my signature (every beat on my soundcloud is labeled thru the genre tag which sampler i use 404 303 202)

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 am 

404sx bro