It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

Post subject: Oiriginal 404 Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:00 am 

I'm kind of a nub, sorry.

I downloaded some samples from this message board, 16-bit wave files, dubstep sample pack. I put them on my compact flash card and attempt to import them onto my sp-404 (cancel+resample -- than press rec) and it says "ENP" (empty). I followed the steps in my manual, bitrate and file type is not an issue, the file name is "b1", it's on the very top folder of my compact flash drive.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, can someone help me out?

Post subject: Re: Oiriginal 404 Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm 

Hi

"B1" isn't enough. It should be "B1.wav". The 404 won't recognise it as a sound file without the .wav part. That's assuming the original file you have is in .wav format - it might also be .aif which is also supported as you'll see in the manual.

The "top folder" is a confusing term. We should say the "root directory". The 404 doesn't want the import files inside any folder.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:38 pm 

I changed all of the files to ".wav" at the end and the 404 is still not recognizing them on my card. They are in wave format and 16-bit. Could it be something wrong with my 404?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm 

Try to import the sample in (for example) audacity and save as wav and see if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:46 pm 

i should have mentioned before that i have tried using audacity to save as wave. did not do the trick however.

i will say that i have tried reformatting my card a few minutes ago as well, no luck.

also, i think it's appropriate to mention that i am getting a few errors while transfering files to my compact flash drive. i am running windows 7 and i'm getting error messages like "Can't read from source file or disk". I have three options, to skip the file, try again, or cancel. every time i try again, it doesn't work and pops up with the same message right away. if i skip it seems to skip over the file that can't be transferred and continue to add all the other wave files to my compact flash. is this a tell tale sign?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:50 pm 

got it! thanks a bunch for your help guys.

i'm not sure what fixed it, most likely reformatting the card. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:00 pm 

It's so much simpler to just sample straight from the audio out on the computer with an rca adapter..for me anyways. Then again, I'm probably a lot less organized than a lot of you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:47 pm 

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I got reverted here a bunch of times when trying to find answers to this exact problem:

Gear: SP-404og

it seems like newer DAW software has issues with .wav files even though they are 44.1 and 16bit and named like A1.wav/A1.WAV. but .aif files seem to export fine, I tested FL, Ableton, Logic and all give the ENP (EMPTY) error with .wav but works fine with .AIF so just export to that instead.

also, by root folder, the manual means the root of the memory card itself folder, not just inside the ROLAND folder. I hope this helps others out, as I spent an entire evening formatting CF cards.