It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Post subject: Re: Recording to Cassette
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm 

MattCoops wrote:
I record to a Realistic VSC-2000

Also, I do not limit myself to just one cassette recorder in my studio.
I have 2 portable hand-held cassette recorders, 3 tape decks and 2 (well, now 1) 4 track cassette multitrack recorders.

My girlfriend used to have a tape radio in her car, but she fancy now with a CD sha-bang.

i have 12 cassette tape recorders...... two phonos.... two VCRs ahahahaha

some of the tape recorders are portable with microphones, some are cassette decks, some are dual decks, some are stereo, some are mono, some have pitch control (tape playback speed control), some only record on normal cassette tapes, some record on normal, metal, CrO2, and FeCr!! all have unique analog recording capabilities (-: beautiful one of a kind sound from each one :mrgreen: <3

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 pm 

What about the ones that only record. The other buttons stick and don't work.
And you use the other tape decks just to meter and rewind/playback?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am 

MattCoops wrote:
What about the ones that only record. The other buttons stick and don't work.
And you use the other tape decks just to meter and rewind/playback?

i do not understand this question....

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 am 

not all tapes are created equal - the type of material the tape is made from determines the sound quality to a certain extent, among other things like how its stored and how good/clean your player is.

this guy breaks it down thoroughly if you wanna geek out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

personally, I treat tape like an effect almost. its got a certain way of making everything thing sound "together" and finished, even if TECHNICALLY its not as clean as digital....

it works for me just like the SP404 process works... you have to work within the constraints of the machinery, and that's where you come up with creative solutions to problems.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 pm 

symatic wrote:
not all tapes are created equal - the type of material the tape is made from determines the sound quality to a certain extent, among other things like how its stored and how good/clean your player is.

personally, I treat tape like an effect almost. its got a certain way of making everything thing sound "together" and finished, even if TECHNICALLY its not as clean as digital....

it works for me just like the SP404 process works... you have to work within the constraints of the machinery, and that's where you come up with creative solutions to problems.

this "together"ness you're referring to is a product of multiple sound artifacts of tape recording:

tape saturation

tape compression

tape hiss

frequency response (head bump, roll off)

wow and flutter

harmonic distortion

and...... pure magic (in my opinion) :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:

when you record your mix into a tape machine, and the entire dynamic range is affected by all these different factors, it creates a more mixed sound

i also want to point out that i am a purist, and i think it's kinda lame when people who do not need a tape machine in their workflow use one to make their lame FL studio beats ( piano loop, vinyl crackle fx, swingy youtube ripped vinyl sample drums ) sound more old school ( not for the mixing benefits but for the oldie sound and hiss shit ) /: but that's just my snobby, purist opinion.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 am 

A turntable, sampler and a tape deck is all that's needed for some dope sounding material.

Any more thinking over or under that is fruitless.

I am all for experimentation and finding one's own unique signature sound.

Prefer cassette recording to digital.
Really, the only thing I personally use the computer for, is uploading the stuff to the internet.
Everything else is done analog in a machine.
Keep real music alive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:35 am 

Also, I wouldn't knock someone for making a beat on a computer or a phone or a friggin' calculator, if they did.

If the beat sound dope, it's dope, and that's dope.

I just follow my own method.

I tried the digital beats on Fruity Loops back in like early 2000s.
It works for a some cats. Heck, there's all kinds of software and emulators, what have you.
You can buy a drum pack or record yourself shakin' a box of TicTacs. Whatever floats your boat.

I think making music is more in the fun in the making. Not just the record quality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:11 am 

Thanks to all of you for this discussion and info once again.

zendan wrote:
symatic wrote:

this "together"ness you're referring to is a product of multiple sound artifacts of tape recording:

tape saturation

tape compression

tape hiss

wow and flutter

harmonic distortion

when you record your mix into a tape machine, and the entire dynamic range is affected by all these different factors, it creates a more mixed sound

i also want to point out that i am a purist, and i think it's kinda lame when people who do not need a tape machine in their workflow use one to make their lame FL studio beats ( piano loop, vinyl crackle fx, swingy youtube ripped vinyl sample drums ) sound more old school ( not for the mixing benefits but for the oldie sound and hiss shit ) /: but that's just my snobby, purist opinion.
zendan wrote:
symatic wrote:

tape saturation

tape compression

tape hiss

wow and flutter

harmonic distortion

This is just a personal thing even tho I make most of my stuff in ableton, I just want to have material on tape and pass some copies to my friends and local artists I fuck wit and don't want to rely on labels and wait to see if they dig my beats to get proper physical release.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:50 pm 

MattCoops wrote:
A turntable, sampler and a tape deck is all that's needed for some dope sounding material.

Any more thinking over or under that is fruitless.

I am all for experimentation and finding one's own unique signature sound.

Prefer cassette recording to digital.
Really, the only thing I personally use the computer for, is uploading the stuff to the internet.
Everything else is done analog in a machine.
Keep real music alive.

haha wow we have the exact same mindset/workflow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:51 pm 

SOИIC wrote:
Thanks to all of you for this discussion and info once again.

This is just a personal thing even tho I make most of my stuff in ableton, I just want to have material on tape and pass some copies to my friends and local artists I fuck wit and don't want to rely on labels and wait to see if they dig my beats to get proper physical release.

ay as long as your beats don't sound like that same old same old bandwagon "lofi hiphop" shit you can record on tape all day. i was just pointing out that there are a lot of no-talent posers out there that i don't fuck with

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:52 pm 

MattCoops wrote:
Also, I wouldn't knock someone for making a beat on a computer or a phone or a friggin' calculator, if they did.

If the beat sound dope, it's dope, and that's dope.

I just follow my own method.

I tried the digital beats on Fruity Loops back in like early 2000s.
It works for a some cats. Heck, there's all kinds of software and emulators, what have you.
You can buy a drum pack or record yourself shakin' a box of TicTacs. Whatever floats your boat.

I think making music is more in the fun in the making. Not just the record quality.

yeah i feel you, refer to my last post

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:40 pm 

basically you wanna follow everything zandan does, hes got more tape decks than yall and doesnt follow the bandwagon. YALL NEED TO CATCH UP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am 

chachoschavela wrote:
basically you wanna follow everything zandan does, hes got more tape decks than yall and doesnt follow the bandwagon. YALL NEED TO CATCH UP

:lol: :lol: lmao, i'm not saying i'm the most unique beat maker out there, but i don't try to appeal to the people that want to hear "lofi hip hop chill beats to study to 24/7" you feel me? shit all sounds the same

that's what i'm referring to.

also i'm not saying anyone has to think like me.

just voicing my opinion

also guys, i do make beats in FL studio as well. i'm just not as passionate about it, and i don't do it very often. also when i do i usually don't bounce off tape; sometimes i do tho

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 pm 

zendan wrote:
i don't know who bomb squad is, but lench mob is literally the most primitive, basic, no skill style rap/beats in existence. if you prefer that to the intricacy, complexity, and pure ingenuity of otis jackson jr.'s instrumentals, you have horrible horrible taste, and your ears probably don't work. i feel much pity for you and your condition /:

so basically "if you like this better than that, then you are wrong"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:50 pm 

i swear, zenny, you contradict yourself in every other thread