It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: useful VSTs i've used
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:14 am 

Oh shit, it went into photography while I was typing. Goodbye VST thread... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:00 am 

this thread got heated!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
i meant no offense to anyone!! love u all :mrgreen:

btw i didn't bring up analog!! i kinda did but Sharris brought up the real instruments thing and that's why i brought it up :roll: :roll: :roll:

and btw wow i was ignorant to the mechanical makeup of the fender rhodes!!! i just looked it up and that's really amazing the way it works.

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 am 

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by 444 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 am 

Im just discussing. Sure i could read old threads of others discussing it, since its been done to death, but i like discussing it toooooo :|

Digital vs analog discussions go too far cuz not everyone is gonna agree.... it shouldn't be vs.....it should just be........

vs. discussions turn the strongest of men into piles of mush

Last edited by Sharris on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:57 am 

With respects to "most people who cant get the sound they want out of a vst are probably sifting thru presets" ....not a true statement for me.
I personally didnt go in depth about modulating, ect vsts, cuz it turned into digital vs analog..... i notice i easily throw threads off track by discussing other shit.... i try to always include the main subject, but its crazy how fast things go sideways.
With production in general theres so many ways to do things, so many sounds, so much is based on opinion. Theres nothing wrong with using vsts just like nothing wrong usin analog. Everyone has diff tastes....... nothin wrong with prefering an analog sound over a vst .......all though thats pretty broad....SO MANY SOUNDS

I kno the thread went to shit, but there still is a lot of good info in here...... even a little info about vsts :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:04 am 

Bye wrote:
zendan wrote:
this thread got heated!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
i meant no offense to anyone!! love u all :mrgreen:

btw i didn't bring up analog!! i kinda did but Sharris brought up the real instruments thing and that's why i brought it up :roll: :roll: :roll:

and btw wow i was ignorant to the mechanical makeup of the fender rhodes!!! i just looked it up and that's really amazing the way it works.

:shock: :lol:

damn bro...
you've been just talking out your ass LOL

:roll:

whatever

you do you :mrgreen:

um ok?? show me a VST that can reproduce the sound of a JUPITER 8 fuckface

oh and

LINK YOUR MUSIC FAGGOT

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:06 am 

i try to be civil and respectful and these people still act like smart asses.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:15 am 

i'm getting the fuck out of these forums. nothing but stuck up egotistical losers that think they have some merit by studying music but can't even make one good song.
pathetic
pathetic
pathetic
disgusting.

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:48 am 

cause you asked...

here are some links for Jupiter 8 and JP8080 emu's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaHVLNKaXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwn6NCG2bdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L05EWeUI3Ig

:mrgreen:

zzz :roll:

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm 

Loving the comments. I love to combine both elements (analog & digital) within my setup. I notice the differences and would love to incorporate that sound.

Just a side note, for those who are using samplers much realize that from the MPC 60 to the SP-404A, they use digital chips for their sound effects. If you sample off records like me, then that's all the analog goodness your gonna get. Once your signals go through samplers or DAW's the signal is within a different format. The digital revolution made music technology available to the average joe and jill. End of the day, do what you do and make good music. Learn about the original hardware that these companies emulate and apply what you may.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 pm 

Yea totally & even some analog synths have digital components. For example, the Analog Four by Elektron, all the effects are digital (probably other digital components, I'm not sure, I just know the effects are digital).

I don't give a fuck what it is as long as I like the sound......so far I seem to like a mix of digital & analog. I like incorporating sounds from different sources. Last week my brother & I made a beat using an electric guitar thru a Zoom G3 pedal, drum break from vinyl & a bass vst.......I was trying to use a bass guitar for the bass since we used guitar for the melody, but I couldn't get it to sound right... my brother always uses vst's, he kept tellin me to try out a vst for bass & I finally listened to him. I got it to fit in the mix pretty fast, just filtered it & eq'd a bit. All the love for vst's in this thread got me wanting to experiment as well.

I think I can still get the sound I like from vst's if I mix them with other elements...... I've tried jumpin into vst's full blown & just got too cold. I need to wiggle my toes in the water. I'm thankful there are a few pages of vst recommendations before it got heated, I'm gonna play around with some of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm 

I heard your beat some days ago, Sharris. Really enjoyed the weird slide thing going on.

The problem with VST is that when you get into it, there are billions of options and they are relatively cheap when compared to hardware. And there are the free ones too. I think everyone just drowns himself when first going to vst stuff lol.

The best thing to do music is the thing you have, so...

I don't know... hardware has something special because real things are good. Twisting knobs, raising potentiometers and all the good stuff. A screen is just a screen and this can affect our brain when composing... no matter how good it sounds lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 pm 

forest wrote:
. hardware has something special because real things are good. Twisting knobs, raising potentiometers and all the good stuff. A screen is just a screen and this can affect our brain when composing... no matter how good it sounds lol.

This. I agree 100%.
Also, I believe that the analogue has reached its peak. No mind melting revolutionary exquisite new stuff will appear. It's still good, warm, we all still love it, and most of us would always go for the analogue, if given a chance to choose.
But, the digital is STILL rising. Every year practically there's something new. I remember the time (shit I sound like a fkn Ent lol) when we'd all laugh at most of the softwares or plug ins, and - let's be honest - There's nothing, and I mean NOTHING more blasphemous and hideous than those 80' snare drums, and rhythm machines in general (of that era).
Sounds like a fkn Casio synth you'd buy on a flea market for a couple of bucks.
Even in the 90' the analogue was still riding on top, but you could smell the change.
2000 and on, everyone could create music. All you needed was a PC or MAC, solid entry level sound card, few softwares and that's it.
Not necessarily good or professional (talking about the production), but in terms of quality - incomparable to the crap people used to make, just a few years prior.

Personally, I don't care. As one of the true jazz greats once said 'boy, don't care if you use your nose to play it, as long as it sounds good.'
True that. Analogue, digital, it really doesn't matter. As long as it burns the speakers lol.
I would always go for analogue, but only because - like forest said - you have a feeling of actually PLAYING something. Being creative. Treating it like an instrument. But I don't mind if there's only digital involved.

VST = helpful tool, no doubt there.
Compared to analogue - STILL a very helpful tool, and unless you have one of those ridiculously expensive near fields to tell the difference (and let's face it - vast majority of people involved in 'bedroom music' have crappy speakers, Behringer, M-Audio, etc) - there Is no big difference.
Sure, if you are doing this thing for years - you can tell. You WILL tell. But in general... I Don't think people who are not involved professionally into producing are missing out on something big by not using the analogue equipment.

My two cents though, not preaching just voicing an opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:41 pm 

forest wrote:
I heard your beat some days ago, Sharris. Really enjoyed the weird slide thing going on.

Thanks for listenin forest...... I wanted to show that you can still use instruments in your beats even if you don't know how to play (guitar for example)........ & it's a great way to learn how to play. When first learning chords/notes/ect. you can record 1 note at a time in your sampler until you get better.... or just record weird slides :wink:

Anyone have any vst recommendations to use with guitar?

Or just more vst recommendations in general?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:55 pm 

There is a guy who talks about all kinds of "studio stuff" in a youtube channel and he is quite straightforward. He has some nice thoughts about analog stuff, he said that yeah, analog already reached its peak and that's ok, but there is a somewhat hidden problem. When people say that old equipment sounds better they aren't just bitching about nostalgia (well... a lot of times they are) but the components that were used on these kinds of old equipment just doesn't exist anymore. They used too much material, they were sometimes toxic or they used components that now are so expensive that can't be used anymore in a large scale, so, people found a way around with other materials and stuff. The fact is, most of the stuff isn't produced like it used to be, even if it has the same name.

The golden era of "fuck off, who cares about the planet, just spend all the material to make the best stuff we can" was over decades ago and gave space to "produce more and cheaper" (but shitty). So, analog has reached its peak and now is kinda downwards in terms of availability and not just because digital can be cheaper, it's because people in a way can't reproduce it anymore.

I found a cheap Maschine (usually stuff here is very very very overpriced) and I'm going to it without any doubt. I'm composing using Ableton these days but without any sample and this is just because I have a mini keyboard controller and I can actually play stuff with it. The "chop/click/drag" on Ableton was destroying my soul and I just stopped lol. I don't mind using the computer, but I need something physical and I really need to put my eyes out of the screen for at least some part of the process.

Sharris: I heard that Kontakt libraries are good, but they are expensive... Korg has the Strum (it's actually on sale). It's synth based, but it has nice articulations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next