It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Post subject: Guitar Amp that the SP404 sounds good through?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:27 am 

I've messed around and hooked up the sp404 to a few different combo guitar amps, and the drums sounded really fat and nice.. but the samples always sounded way too distorted.

i'm wondering if anyone knows a clean guitar amp that the 404 sounds good through.

i've done a little research and it looks like a keyboard amp may be the best way to go, but I wanted to buy a new clean guitar amp anyway, and figured it would be cool if I could use the roland with it.

i'm going to research best clean guitar amps, but figured I'd ask and see if anyone here has used their sp with a guitar amp, thanks, sorry if it's a dumb question, i think it may be

Post subject: Re: Guitar Amp that the SP404 sounds good through?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 am 

yo .. is it for gigging . if not .. monitors speakers Broseph

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 pm 

I use a ZT Lunchbox and it’s bad ass. Super clean and loud with everything I’ve put through it. Also has a Aux input on back which is where my 404 is plugged in most of the time.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:48 pm 

Some years ago I was playing in a freenoise punkrock shoegaze band, live sampling on stage, jamming samples and feedback.
I was using my favourite guitar amp, a dual channel 80 watt tube amplifier. It was always really clean sounding because the two 12" speakers were built to withstand 100 watts.

We'd gone on stage last after another band had gone over time by about 45 minutes... everyone in the audience, and us were pissed off at their dissing the locals with their pretentiousness, so we decided early on we would play a short, but incredibly loud set. We began loud and kept raising the volume as we went on. My amp was loud enough for the venue without pa, but because I myself was sampling from stage monitors and my amp was also mic'd up we soon had the walls and floor shaking.

Long story short: guitar amps are built with the frequency range of the guitar in mind. A little research shows that the frequency of a low E string is around 82Hz... Our set ended a little prematurely after the frequency and volume overload of sampling a entire rock band blew my tubes (in the amp.. although my ear-tubes were fucked for week afterwards too).

A bass or keyboard amp will probably better handle the low end and high frequency range of beats and samples (music). Another problem with guitar amps (and bass) is that the cable is single channel (not mono but 'left) , which can be somewhat problematic, even if samples are in mono. Amps with aux input might not have this problem.

Just some thoughts... The character of guitar amp sound can change quite a bit depending on input volume and amp volume (signal from magnetic pickups considerably lower than a sampler I would assume).

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:54 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
I don't understand, why would you want to stick your 404 through a guitar amp ?

The frequency range of an amp designed primarily for guitarists isn't exactly compatible to a sampler being amplified through it.

The bass response will be limited for starters and your drums will more than likely sound like shit in my opinion.

I'd personally go with a keyboard amplifier at the very least..the amps frequency range will be much better suited to the type of audio that the 404 produces .

Edit-
Just seen lif's post above this one, some good solid advice there for you I reckon.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:42 pm 

Danswift wrote:
I don't understand, why would you want to stick your 404 through a guitar amp ?

Sometimes it’s all you got.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:47 pm 

THEGREAT wrote:
yo .. is it for gigging . if not .. monitors speakers Broseph

guess i might use it for gigging at some point, but really more to play loudly at home

i had/have a pair of JBL studio monitors.. i cracked my first set because I was playing the roland way too loudly.

guess I want something I can play it loudly on, with a lot of bass and not worry about fucking up my monitors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm 

l i f wrote:
Some years ago I was playing in a freenoise punkrock shoegaze band, live sampling on stage, jamming samples and feedback.
I was using my favourite guitar amp, a dual channel 80 watt tube amplifier. It was always really clean sounding because the two 12" speakers were built to withstand 100 watts.

We'd gone on stage last after another band had gone over time by about 45 minutes... everyone in the audience, and us were pissed off at their dissing the locals with their pretentiousness, so we decided early on we would play a short, but incredibly loud set. We began loud and kept raising the volume as we went on. My amp was loud enough for the venue without pa, but because I myself was sampling from stage monitors and my amp was also mic'd up we soon had the walls and floor shaking.

Long story short: guitar amps are built with the frequency range of the guitar in mind. A little research shows that the frequency of a low E string is around 82Hz... Our set ended a little prematurely after the frequency and volume overload of sampling a entire rock band blew my tubes (in the amp.. although my ear-tubes were fucked for week afterwards too).

A bass or keyboard amp will probably better handle the low end and high frequency range of beats and samples (music). Another problem with guitar amps (and bass) is that the cable is single channel (not mono but 'left) , which can be somewhat problematic, even if samples are in mono. Amps with aux input might not have this problem.

Just some thoughts... The character of guitar amp sound can change quite a bit depending on input volume and amp volume (signal from magnetic pickups considerably lower than a sampler I would assume).

thanks nice, i guess a keyboard amp would be the way to go

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm 

in my experience . an amp is good if youre busking .. but yo . get some speakers if its not about budgetting . as stated above "sometimes its all you good " .. no shame in that .. you can pick an second hand amp for £30 . i used to run my music through a stereo system . i just use headphones these days

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

I have a pair of studio monitors, but I can't really play the SP as loudly as I can FL studios on the monitors. IMO the SP has sounded the best when playing through my car stereo.

so i tried this keyboard amp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010 ... UTF8&psc=1

it's kinda just what I was looking for. I'd prefer it be a 40 watt, but for the price can't beat it. samples sound good, the drums sound really fat

and it has 2 inputs so you can hook a guitar directly to the amp with the SP404 plugged in and jam like that. the guitar sounds ok, a little flat, but hey.. it's not a guitar amp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 pm 

yo .. fairplay .