It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Post subject: 'Mark' button question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 pm 

Ive been getting a lot out of my 404sx since I got it last summer, and there's always a new little thing im trying to figure out or work around.

Now, say I have a sample launched from a pad, in Loop mode, and I create a mini-loop within the sample by hitting 'Mark' once for start point, 'Mark' again for end point. Basic stuff there, but I really want to then be able to lift off the loop markers and have the sample continue from where the end point was - because otherwise, if I just hit 'Mark' again, it starts the whole sample from the beginning without the markers in place. It would be such a useful live feature. Any ideas? Thx :D

Post subject: Re: 'Mark' button question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:51 am 

Unfortunately it can't be done that way, you would have to copy it to another pad, make a loop of what you want on 1 pad, then make a loop of what you want on the other pad. You can only start at the start point, not the end point.

There's a work around when it comes to chopping, not sure if you read that thread, it's somewhere in this forum. It makes it so you don't have to listen to the same thing over & over again when chopping. I'll try to explain it, here's an example:

pad 1 - mark where you want the first chop to start - delete mark (truncate)Copy to pad 2
pad 2 - Mark where you want the 2nd chop to start - delete mark (truncate)Copy to pad 3
pad 3 - Mark where you want the 3rd chop to start. Truncate & so on & so on, then each pad will start at the beginning of the "chop" just double mark each pad to create the chop. If you want 1 pad to be the full loop w/o being truncated, you can copy it to another pad prior to the choppin or don't truncate pad 1, wait to truncate at pad 2 (that way the first pad would be the full original sample/loop & pad 2 would be the 1st chop).

When I first read this trick it seemed confusing, but once I tried it, it made sense & saved time chopping.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 am 

Sharris wrote:
Unfortunately it can't be done that way, you would have to copy it to another pad, make a loop of what you want on 1 pad, then make a loop of what you want on the other pad. You can only start at the start point, not the end point.

There's a work around when it comes to chopping, not sure if you read that thread, it's somewhere in this forum. It makes it so you don't have to listen to the same thing over & over again when chopping. I'll try to explain it, here's an example:

pad 1 - mark where you want the first chop to start - delete mark (truncate)Copy to pad 2
pad 2 - Mark where you want the 2nd chop to start - delete mark (truncate)Copy to pad 3
pad 3 - Mark where you want the 3rd chop to start. Truncate & so on & so on, then each pad will start at the beginning of the "chop" just double mark each pad to create the chop. If you want 1 pad to be the full loop w/o being truncated, you can copy it to another pad prior to the choppin or don't truncate pad 1, wait to truncate at pad 2 (that way the first pad would be the full original sample/loop & pad 2 would be the 1st chop).

When I first read this trick it seemed confusing, but once I tried it, it made sense & saved time chopping.

Awesome!

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 pm 

Thanks for the reply Sharris - yea that's kind of what I suspected. I'm trying to find that video of the guy doing to quick chop method, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to do it without stopping playback, unless I'm missing something.

Not really a big deal because I found a different way to do it that achieves a different effect that I wound up liking better

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 pm 

You're right, you would have to stop play back (unless there is a trick I don't know about). Would you mind sharing the other way you do it that you like?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:38 pm 

Sure! Well with the sample I initially wanted to create a 'temporary mini-loop' in, I copied it to a second pad, and because the sample starts with a fade in, I did a resample to a third pad: triggered pad 1 until the fade was over then triggered pad 2, let them run over top of each other for a while, longer than I thought I would need it. This doesn't let me 'resume' at all, it's just a wash of reversed samples that fades in, but it sounds cool, so I'm using it as an intro. I use 'start/end time' to fade it back out.

Then today I used your suggestion for another sample: figured out where I was gonna do my temporary mini loop, hit Mark where the music is supposed to resume, copied and truncated (no end mark set, uses the end of sample as end mark) to another pad, so that I could go back and play the first pad, mark off my loop, let it loop for a bit while screwing with it, then swap play with the other pad (I hit both pads at once so one stops right as the other begins). That works really well for what I wanted, I'm about to use up a whole bank so I can chop up the track like that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:44 pm 

Nice... thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm 

My pleasure - oh and at the end of that one paragraph I meant to say "start/end level"

I have mostly been using Logic for creating all my loops and going back and forth, but I'm trying to find ways to stay in the box more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:43 pm 

Cool, yeah, even though I have equipment that makes things easier, I still use my 404 everyday, it's a lot of fun & it keeps my skills sharp :o) 1 of the things I do is spend about 2 hours on Sunday sampling vinyl in the 404 (drum breaks & all kinds of random songs to chop), then on my lunch breaks during the week, I chop stuff up & make little microwave beats.