It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

Post subject: how do i achieve this kind of lo-fi drums?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:15 am 

hi!

i've been playing around for a while with my sp404sx, but i mostly make my beats in my daw and then compress and shit on the sp for that final touch.

now i'm going away for a trip, and i have decided to not bring my laptop, and only bring my sp404sx to challenge myself.

i have been using drum kits, but i want to try to make my own drums now.

here is an example of drums i'm dreaming of to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEitEH-ohs

my question is - how do i achieve this kind of fat and sweet drums? is it by chopping breaks or recording them myself with the mic? and what kind of effects should i use to achieve this fatness on the drums?

if anyone could give me some tip in pm if you want to keep the secret or just write it here, it would really really really be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: how do i achieve this kind of lo-fi drums?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:31 am 

gated reverb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 am 

i chopped up a drum loop into separate pads for each kick, hi hat, snare etc.. and then resampled those into a drum loop. i then used that drum loop in combo with other chopped samples. i resampled my favorite loops back into my sp404 og from my laptop and then resampled yet again to get longer loops to form into a track. after the final track is layed out i compress and use the 404 isolator/eq to juice them up.

:!:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm 

aaronmaxwell wrote:
i chopped up a drum loop into separate pads for each kick, hi hat, snare etc.. and then resampled those into a drum loop. i then used that drum loop in combo with other chopped samples. i resampled my favorite loops back into my sp404 og from my laptop and then resampled yet again to get longer loops to form into a track. after the final track is layed out i compress and use the 404 isolator/eq to juice them up.

Don't listen to this guy...he's has no clue. :wink:

Props to mr. maxwell. Always great stuff.

Just remember (if you are using the DAW), keep your kick and snare super loud in the mix and everything else quiet. Use vinyl sim compression and play with the levels from the original track so the drums don't get too squished, but all the other stuff ducks out the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 pm 

admbmb wrote:
aaronmaxwell wrote:

Don't listen to this guy...he's has no clue. :wink:

Props to mr. maxwell. Always great stuff.

Just remember (if you are using the DAW), keep your kick and snare super loud in the mix and everything else quiet. Use vinyl sim compression and play with the levels from the original track so the drums don't get too squished, but all the other stuff ducks out the way.

can i ask you, with vinyl sim compression do you min fx 12 or fx 16? i got the sp404sx and i usually use fx12 as compression and then fx 16 just to add a noise and warm it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 pm 

Those drums are NAsty!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:54 pm 

iwannabedrake wrote:
hi!

i've been playing around for a while with my sp404sx, but i mostly make my beats in my daw and then compress and shit on the sp for that final touch.

now i'm going away for a trip, and i have decided to not bring my laptop, and only bring my sp404sx to challenge myself.

i have been using drum kits, but i want to try to make my own drums now.

here is an example of drums i'm dreaming of to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEitEH-ohs

my question is - how do i achieve this kind of fat and sweet drums? is it by chopping breaks or recording them myself with the mic? and what kind of effects should i use to achieve this fatness on the drums?

if anyone could give me some tip in pm if you want to keep the secret or just write it here, it would really really really be appreciated.