It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Post subject: MPC 1000 - not impressed!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:17 pm 

So, a little story for you:

I like hardware, and although I have a studio based around my computer, for me, Pro Tools or Ableton is what happens after I've finished playing music.

Before I get to them, I want to jam out on my synths and boxes with flashing lights so I have a venerable old RM1X as the brains of it all.

I got a 404sx as a sort of sketchpad for new ideas at the beginning of the year but got seduced by an Electribe sampler and traded it in.

The Electribe was *almost* a brilliant machine but hampered by too many bugs, shit design features and insanely bad memory handling.

After a few months of persevering, I got rid of it and went back to the 404sx. Right decision.

But just this week, I had an opportunity to pick up an MPC 1000 for a giveaway price so grabbed it, thinking I could use it as a master sequencer and retire the RM1X...besides, I've wanted an MPC since forever and the series had developed near-mythical status as a beat machine.

Not so.

I hate it! I've never been so disappointed with a machine.

As a sequencer:

Actually quite good but doesn't transmit clock unless playing, meaning all external tempo synced delays, arpeggiators etc won't work. Infuriating.

As a sampler:

Slow, lacking FX, editing is a pain in the ass yet woefully basic compared to a computer. Honestly, the 404 lets you chop by ear and feel in no time at all whilst the MPC has you squinting at a tiny waveform and just wishing you'd switched the laptop on.

Anyway, I know a few on here use them with their SP so I guess I'm posting for a couple of reasons:

1). Am I missing something? I kind of see the point if you just have an SP but no sequencer - an MPC would add a lot but if you've already got a good/better RM1X?

2). The SP is definitely the most immediate and musical sampler available right now.

3). Is it just me? I feel like I must be wrong, given how many talented cats use an MPC...I've never wanted to like a machine more, and yet I just...don't.

Maybe it's just a case of never meeting your heroes but on the upside, well played Roland, for making such a monster little box.

Man, that post ran longer than I planned! :lol:

Enjoy your SPs - they are superb machines!

Post subject: Re: MPC 1000 - not impressed!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 am 

The RM1X seems more suitable for you if you like the sequencer with the SP. But it don't sample. Also keep in mind that the SP is limited compared to the MPC. The MPC has mute groups which are good for hi hats, plus 16 levels for playing your samples in different notes like a keyboard. The MPC also has 32 note polyphony. The 404SX has 12. If you can live with the limitations, then you don't need the MPC.

I used to own a 1000 and sold it. I ended up going back to the 2000 and bought the 404SX since both machines make up for what the other lacks. There's no resampling on the 2000. The SP is perfect for that. Between the SP's effects and the 2000s warm converters, I get some nice results resampling again back into the MPC.

I sequence the SP with the MPC. All my drums are loaded in the MPC, and all the samples I wanna tweak in realtime with effects are loaded into the SP. When I work with this method, the polyphony demand on both machines is eased up and I can get a lot more creative. So before you sell your MPC, try and learn how you can get the most out of using both as I suggested.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:00 am 

How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to drive 180+ miles to pick one up for $300 tomorrow. RAM is from the factory and no upgrades, just stock. He does have a2 gig cf though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:59 am 

distorted wrote:
The RM1X seems more suitable for you if you like the sequencer with the SP. But it don't sample. Also keep in mind that the SP is limited compared to the MPC. The MPC has mute groups which are good for hi hats, plus 16 levels for playing your samples in different notes like a keyboard. The MPC also has 32 note polyphony. The 404SX has 12. If you can live with the limitations, then you don't need the MPC.

I used to own a 1000 and sold it. I ended up going back to the 2000 and bought the 404SX since both machines make up for what the other lacks. There's no resampling on the 2000. The SP is perfect for that. Between the SP's effects and the 2000s warm converters, I get some nice results resampling again back into the MPC.

I sequence the SP with the MPC. All my drums are loaded in the MPC, and all the samples I wanna tweak in realtime with effects are loaded into the SP. When I work with this method, the polyphony demand on both machines is eased up and I can get a lot more creative. So before you sell your MPC, try and learn how you can get the most out of using both as I suggested.

I'm going to keep it around for a bit and see if I take to it but I think you're correct - for me the RM1X is a better sequencer and I think the Rm1x, MPC AND SP, is probably overkill!

Although the lack of chromatic sampling and mute groups on the SP is a pain, the editing is so much faster and more intuitive that it makes up for it I think...I'll persevere with the MPC for a bit longer though, and see.

Brutecoan - I'm in the U.K. So not easy to compare but this one was fully loaded with a hard drive, flash card and JJOS for £300...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:58 pm 

It's really easy making loops on the SP from the way it's designed to play the loop points while editing. So I can definitely understand why you find it easier. The MPC and other samplers require you to be more precise. But practice makes perfect. I've been using MPCs since the 2000 dropped in 1997. It didn't take long for me to chop and loop samples quickly, even coming from a Gemini Scratchmaster DJ mixer with that shitty sampler on it. :lol:
Spend some time learning the features on the JJ OS. I'm not sure if you have the free or the paid version. But OS 2XL and OS 3 are worth checking out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:17 am 

distorted wrote:
It's really easy making loops on the SP from the way it's designed to play the loop points while editing. So I can definitely understand why you find it easier. The MPC and other samplers require you to be more precise. But practice makes perfect. I've been using MPCs since the 2000 dropped in 1997. It didn't take long for me to chop and loop samples quickly, even coming from a Gemini Scratchmaster DJ mixer with that shitty sampler on it. :lol:
Spend some time learning the features on the JJ OS. I'm not sure if you have the free or the paid version. But OS 2XL and OS 3 are worth checking out.

It's got JJOS free on it, so taking my time to figure my way round it. I've been playing all evening and I think I'm getting a better handle on what it can do. Certainly the chromatic pitching is useful but as you say, it's a bit fiddly on the MPC. I suppose my problem is that when it gets to that level I find myself thinking "I could just chop this up in Ableton in 10 seconds and be done" - I love hardware over a computer any day, but it has to not get in my way.

I dunno, I like it more this evening. I don't want to abandon the SP though, and I kind of feel they tread on each other's toes a bit, especially if I'm keeping the RM1X around...We'll see. I'll make a couple of tunes with it on it's own and see how I'm feeling about it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:26 pm 

I started out on Fruityloops & Cool Edit Pro.....then I bought a 2000xl...

it took me quite a while to appreciate it.....I didn't even have the EB16 at first so I was mugged right off without having FX I could just chuck on to stuff like when using software.....

got a Renaissance now and for me its the perfect blend of hardware & software

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:53 pm 

Living Bate wrote:
I started out on Fruityloops & Cool Edit Pro.....then I bought a 2000xl...

it took me quite a while to appreciate it.....I didn't even have the EB16 at first so I was mugged right off without having FX I could just chuck on to stuff like when using software.....

got a Renaissance now and for me its the perfect blend of hardware & software

I decided against getting the MPC 1000 for the time being. I'm considering putting the$300 I would have put toward the 1000 and getting the new MPC live when it comes out which to my understanding will be stand alone and better integrated with software. With jjos upgrades, RAm, hard drive and new sensor pad, I could get the new MPC live I think. It will depend how robust the new software from Akai end up being though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:39 pm 

Disastrous wrote:
distorted wrote:

It's got JJOS free on it, so taking my time to figure my way round it. I've been playing all evening and I think I'm getting a better handle on what it can do. Certainly the chromatic pitching is useful but as you say, it's a bit fiddly on the MPC. I suppose my problem is that when it gets to that level I find myself thinking "I could just chop this up in Ableton in 10 seconds and be done" - I love hardware over a computer any day, but it has to not get in my way.

I dunno, I like it more this evening. I don't want to abandon the SP though, and I kind of feel they tread on each other's toes a bit, especially if I'm keeping the RM1X around...We'll see. I'll make a couple of tunes with it on it's own and see how I'm feeling about it.

I'm pretty sure the paid version of JJ OS have auto-slice funtions, so you won't need to deal with Ableton.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

You can download and install all the paid versions so you can try all the added features. The only limitation is that you can't save your work. So try them out.

As for the SP, keep it. The effects are cool and it gives you more flexibility combined with the MPC. The MPC's effects are ok, but not nearly as fun as the SP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:47 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I would say hold on to the 1000 and the the full JJ2XL:

great sequencer
ASDR
WHOLE function
Crossfade/ping-pong looping
non-destructive chop
^^^^
all of these features are great for what i do. I think that it's just as fast to chop with the MPC once you get it down. check out Nym from MPC forums youtube video on the 'divide and conquer' technique... Tap tempo is really helpful to use when chopping because it moves the spot by ten increments instead of one when you hold it. and the non-destructive chop is awesome, great for quickly moving around a long sample to feed my 404.

If you do sell it, might be good to do it before they officially announce the MPC Live. It runs on a battery :shock:

I use a 2500/404 combo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:33 am 

BruteCoan wrote:
It will depend how robust the new software from Akai end up being though.

I've been using the software since 1.8 and I've always found it to be pretty robust and stable.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:15 pm 

Living Bate wrote:
BruteCoan wrote:
It will depend how robust the new software from Akai end up being though.

I've been using the software since 1.8 and I've always found it to be pretty robust and stable.....

I decided to get one from the same seller. It's the blue one and I'm going to have to get the fat pad upgrade I think. I've only had it two days, but I'm digging it.

I'm chopping up breaks right now and making some kits. I just learned that in a program I can layer up to four samples on one pad and I can alter the velocity, envelope etc. This is pretty sick. I had a big smile when I first played a bill Evans piano sample I had chopped and when I played each chop, the other stopped. I was able to lower the pitch, and expand the length of the sample so they filled the space better. I'm enthusiastic. I've not been able to do this on my 404sx.

From what I understand, when I get more snare, kick and hh samples in the mpc, I will be able to scroll through them and"audition" them while playing the beat?

I sent the mpc best I made into the sp 404sx and went to town with the effects, resampled, the more...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:20 am 

Coming from an all Roland gear background, I also took the plunge on an MPC500 because of its history in Hip Hop. I hated it too. Even spent 3 months with it trying to figure everything out but didn't click with me. The Akai philosophy in beat-making is totally different from Roland's philosophy. So I left it alone until I heard some tracks made with the 500 and was blown away and thought if they can do it, so can I. Instead of learning the Akai philosophy, I forced the Roland philosophy onto the machine and things picked up quickly for the better. I know the machine inside out that it became a DAW to me with sampling capabilities. I still use it but my MV8800 takes the studio every time. I got tired of the workarounds.

I never use two samplers in conjunction with each other, I prefer one sampler, but one with a killer workflow. Haven't found a perfect sampler yet, but the old SP404 with CF reader really goes well with the MPC500/1000 because you can hot swap the cards between the two. 404 was the sampler where samples are crafted, add mfx and then hot swap the samples into the MPC to be sequenced as well as better trimming and truncating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 am 

Ill Green wrote:
404 was the sampler where samples are crafted, add mfx and then hot swap the samples into the MPC to be sequenced as well as better trimming and truncating.

Yo Ill Green! One question (i got both those Units):

do i Need to Export the chopped/effected/equalized sample(s) on the OG404 as .wav that i can hot swap the Card and load the sample on the mpc500? or are there more things to do?

peace and thanks in advance

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:42 pm 

Actually, you just sample to the CF card from the OG404, beef it up with effects and what not. Then, before you hot swap, make sure nothing is playing or sequencing on both machines and gently remove the card from the 404 and gently insert into the 500. I say gently because people have this notion that hot swap means change the card rapidly, when it just means switching cards while the machines are on (hot). Then go into the 500's Loading mode and place the samples to the pads. Or you can chop samples in the 500 and hot swap to the 404.

You only need to format the card on one of the machines depending which will be your go-to sampler. For example, format the card in the 500 and then hot swap it to the 404, sample some samples, add mfx and then hot swap it back to the 500.