It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

Post subject: Ableton Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:58 pm 

I've searched around, but haven't really found an answer for this. I'm using Live Lite 9.6. What I want to do is very basic. Create pitched up sample packs for hardware like Volca Sample / Novation Circuit

Here's are my goals
- Take a large chunk of audio and tune/speed/speed it up ( I'm doing this to save sample time. Pitch it down in hardware aka sp1200 trick)... This part is easy
- Create slices from larger audio file (This part is easy too). I'm doing it in Simpler.
- Export slices as WAV while having the WAV files be pitched up. (This is the part I get stuck at).

Is there a "render slices to wav" option anywhere?

quick example ... Sample 1 bar drum break into ableton > Pitch up the 1 bar break > Chop it up into 4 slices > Export 4 Slices to use in other hardware samplers.

* I'm trying to avoid manually creating separate files and renaming for each sample slice.

Post subject: Re: Ableton Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 pm 

Whatup Formal. Ableton is prolly not the best software to use for this but it is workable. I usually just record audio out of Ableton into SP. I messed around with it and found a real easy way to do it using the Sampler instrument in Ableton. I am pretty sure that Live Lite does not come with Sampler only Simpler. I messed around and found a workaround that should work for Live Lite users. This will give u the ability to effect a sample, name it, chop it, have effects and name apply across all chops, and get them in a Folder on your Desktop.

1. Drag your drum break into a Audio Track in Arrangement View.

2. Apply pitching, warping, drag effects on track if u want, etc.

3. Once you have break mangled the way you like right click on the break and select Freeze Track.

4. Right click on break again. This time select Flatten Track. This will save your audio track the way you mangled it so it will stay that way no matter how u chop it.

5. Now select the break and press CmdR and rename it whatever you like (chop).
This is so when you drag the chops into folder it will name them (chop1), (chop2) in the order you drag them in.

This is where things get different instead of letting simpler do the chopping for us, we will be chopping ourselves within the audio track.

6. Start chopping within the clip. Say you want to chop 1/8 notes. Right click on clip and from dropdown select 1/8 notes. Then just put your insert marker where you want chop to start drag to where u want it to end and press CmdE. This will make a new clip. Repeat to get all your chops. This will only allow u to chop 1/8 notes. If u want more control over your chops right click on the drum break clip and select "Grid Off" from drop down menu. Now you can move your insert marker wherever within clip to get start and end points for chops.

7. Select all the chops on your audio track. They will turn blue. Right Click and choose Crop Clip(s) from dropdown. This truncates the chops.

8. Now create a folder or drag the folder you want the chops in onto your desktop.

9. Drag the chops one at a time from the audio track in Ableton into the folder on your desktop. For some reason Ableton will not let you drag multiple clips at a time into the folder. They will appear in order you drag them in (drumchop1) (Drumchop2).

10. Throw them into sampler or card.

Not the easiest way again but a Live Lite solution. if you end up getting Sampler let me know. I can lay out a much easier way. Hope this helped. Peace.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:06 am 

Thanks amigo, I found an easier way actually after messing around.

- Drag sample into Simpler
- Pitch/tune sample
- add slice markers
- right click and send the slices to a drum rack
- drag n drop the sounds from the drum rack into a new track (session view)
- for each of the newly added sounds, open up each sequencer and put an event in the first step.
- File > export audio > all tracks

This way auto renames consistently. Also if I have a larger track I'm chopping from I can select the smaller slices I want to export when I'm dragging them from the drum rack.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:20 am 

Aw very nice. I am running older version of 9. That new simpler is a beast. That slice is a new feature worth the upgrade alone. Thanks for explaining that.

formal wrote:
- - for each of the newly added sounds, open up each sequencer and put an event in the first step.

By open up each sequencer do you mean Arrangement view? A little confused by what you mean on this step.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:27 am 

Sorry I'm not a big Ableton user so I'll try to explain that part again.

In session view when you drag your drum rack slices into a new audio clip and try to render the files they will all turn out being silent.

So for each slice/audio clip you want to be exported you need to open up the sequencer for each one and place a note. If you were to hit play you would hear all the slices being triggered/played at once. When you render all tracks Ableton separates them for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:41 am 

Got ya. Thanks.