It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

Post subject: Sp 303 + MPC 1000 assign outs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 pm 

If there are any here who have experience with the MPC 1000, I have a question about the Assignable Outputs, that I can't get a clear idea from reading the manual.

Ok, so you have a kick, snare, hat, bass, and a chopped vinyl sample all sequenced on the MPC and all the audio is coming out of the Main Stereo Outs.

BUT...

you want to send the kick, snare, hat & bass out through assignable outputs 1-4, respectively.

Once you connect the assign outs to your mixer mono channels 1-4, respectively, do those 4 sounds no longer come out of the MPC's Main Stereo Output? So in this case, only the chopped vinyl sample will play from the Main Outs and I could use the Onboard EQ and volume fader of my mixer to control the sound and level of the kick, snare, hat & bass?

I'm planning on using the onboard EQ of my mackie mixer to effect my sounds and use the tape out of the mackie mixer to feed solo'd channels to the SP 303, if this is possible?

thanks so much for any help

Post subject: Re: Sp 303 + MPC 1000 assign outs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:10 pm 

No 1000 but from my experience with the 2000XL, which has assignable outs too, you have to assign those sounds to those outs. And yes, the stereo mix should come out the Main out for reference purposes. Its called tracking out when you assign pads to certain outs to be recorded to a DAW.

Also check your interface if signals are being passed through. I know the Main Outs are stronger than the assignables, so a little gain might do.

Maybe the assignable outs has special settings that were left on by the last user. Someone with a 1k can clearly explain.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:12 am 

In the manual it says you go into the mixer screen and assign pads (containing the sounds) to the assignable outputs.

the way I plan on having things is like this:

send kick to mpc assign out 1; feeding mono mixer channel 1
send snare to mpc assign out 2; feeding mono mixer channel 2
send hat to mpc assign out 3; feeding mono mixer channel 3
send bass to mpc assign out 4; feeding mono mixer channel 4

then have everything else on the mpc just play through the regular main outs, which would be feeding stereo mixer channel 5/6

This way, I was planning on using my mixer's volume fader and EQ for my drums (ch's 1-4)

The question I haven't figured out fully is whehter these sounds that are assigned to the assignable outs, would continue to play through the main outs? Because I wouldn't want that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:00 pm 

No. No they do not.
You control the volumes from MODE+MIXER (default OS) or assigning from JJ's program edit so, the main volume knob has nothing to do with those tracks any more.

If you assign kick to output 1, it will only exist on output 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:32 am 

ah thank you for that info. much appreciated guys. thanks :) off to buy a bunch of cables now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:42 pm 

I confirm what SLEEPASSISTANT said.
I do that all the time to add effect to my samples. Send my samples from out 1 & 2 to the SP, and then output of the SP back to my MPC in.
The only way to hear the sample is to go to the record mode (assuming you hit the EXT SOURCE button on the SP). Then I can apply effects to my sample and listen to them in my MPC.