It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

Post subject: Stanton STR8-60.... :)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 pm 

..Any of you ever rock with one of these? I've been wanting a new turntable for a long time and finally got this last night for $75-including a stanton 500-II cartridge/stylus which seems to still be in near-new condition....it's been so long since I made beats with anything but the pt-01- i love using lower end/lo fi type equipment,but i just got fed up with the pt--for one,it doesn't pick up all the frequencies as well as a decent table,and seems to distort the sound of records with heavy layers of instrumentation & vocals...for two,the infamous pt-o1 buzzing that gets louder and louder in time. Before the pt, all i had ever used was cheap ass old tables from the 80's.The stanton is a lower end dj table,but imo absolutely perfect for sampling- direct drive,straight tone arm-which is best for old records with some knicks & scratches on them,+10 -10 pich control..and i've never had a table with a start/stop button,lol,so i can finally add that element to some of my beats if i want..and of course it's reasonably decent for scratching. And the best thing for me--i can't tell you how dope it is to put on a record and not hear that god-awful pt-01 buzz,lol...that shit has been driving me crazy.
Anyway,for anyone using the pt,or anyone looking for a good turntable,I would highly reccomend the str8-60,or the 50 & 80- all 3 of these can be copped for a great price and have a perfect sound & perfect features for sampling. And now i have no more excuses for not knocking out all the projects i got going,lol.funny how obtaining one simple piece of new gear can make you feel like you're getting a fresh start,and inspire you creatively..:) Btw-if there's a stylus that might be more ideal for this joint anyone would reccomend,plese let me know... peace!

Post subject: Re: Stanton STR8-60.... :)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:38 pm 

Pretty good deal. My first turntable was a Stanton STr8-20 lol

It wasn't any good for scratching, but it was a nice little guy. I even got to sell it for $40 once I got some Technics.

http://boilermakerbeats.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:46 pm 

I'm a partisan to the Stanton stuff. I have an ST.150 and I don't anticipate ever buying another TT again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 am 

What up A.D. my first two tables were str8 80's. I bough them for something lie 350.00 each a few years ago. I like the key lock and the +/- 10. And the 78 rpm option. I have tech 12's now for dj ing. I have been thinking about buying another Stanton for the key lock and the 78 for sampling.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:06 am 

whats up man..wow,i didn't even know they were that expensive when they came out... What is the key lock exactly?i'm assuming it's the 2 cylindar pieces in the front,but what does it do?but yea,i'm really digging this deck,obviously a step up from the pt-01 sound quality wise,but definitely not like audiophile quality or anything like that,i think it's a good middle ground..i tried to keep going with the pt for as long as possible,'cause i really like the idea of making my beats low budget as possible...but you gotta draw a line and the pt was definitely crossing it.Its really good to see all of you have nothing but positive things to say about the stanton(s).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 am 

Right on man, nice buy. I been rocking a gemini belt drive for sampling until i had to move and get rid of it. Its in good hands tho, along with my collection of records but San Fran was callin. BUT THAT FUCKING BUZZ, could never get rid of it, not even something you can eq out. Ended up reading a bunch on power cords and crossing them and getting the 60hz hum. Interesting reads on how to keep your cables parallel to each other and all that. So if you ever start hearing that hum, maybe move some cords around, though it sounds like you got rid of that problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:15 pm 

San fran huh? Nice,I heard it's a really dope city.Actually one of the best in the country when it comes to diversity,culture,art,activism,etc..I've been in the northwest for 3 years now and have still yet to ever go to california in my life,lol. Hope things are going good for you over there...but yea,as far as the humming/buzzing on the pt-01- i'm pretty sure it's just a deffect of that particular table-i've seen mad people talking about it all over the net,including a long thread on here..even when you use batteries it doesn't go away,so with the pt at least it's not the cables thats an issue.Factor in the sub-par sound quality it has,i just couldn't go with it anymore.plus now i'm running the stanton through the vintage 70's pioneer receiver i've had for a long time as a pre-amp-and that definitely adds some nice extra warmth to my records.I'ma try and knock something simple out this weekend if i can and post it up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:40 pm 

still loving my pt-01 for sampling. i have owned 1200s and a tt200. the reverse button on the tt was dope but not essential. the buzzing doesn't really bother me. i'd rather listen to a dope beat with buzzing in it than a boring one that's clean. i also like the sound of belt drives for sampling. it adds sort of a slight wobble which can be interesting...
i just miss the instant start-up of the direct drives... and the pt is hard to scratch on but ok for super basic stuff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:09 pm 

word,i hear you,but i'd rather just listen to a dope beat without buzzing,lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:43 pm 

Good buy man but in my experiance there is no other turntable than tech 1210.
IV owned Stanton str's and numarks before and both have broken on me.
Stanton took alot of punishment from beatjuggeling and scratching and died after 4 years.
One numark broke after 4 months :evil: Still have one for slowing records down 50% which is nice but techs will never fail you.
As robust as a cockroch.
Also straight tone arm ain't the way to go. Inferior sound quality compared to s shaped arm and you can actually see the thing burning out your records too :shock:
They create alot of force on the grooves of the record which s shaped do not.
Once you have burnt out a record it's fu#ked and if it's rare then that's fu#ked tooo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:06 am 

If you want beautiful analogue sound with great range and tracking do get the sure m44/7 :) I believe it is also a proper 2way stylus which is meant to give proper sound in either direction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm 

I disagree about the s-shaped tonearm. Just look at the hi-fi and "audiophile" turntables, they tend to have straight tonearms. S-shaped arms have more mass and they are longer, which means more vibration in the arm itself etc.. The s-arm is a rarity now and there are reasons for that.

I would also like to point out that turntables meant for just listening often use belt-drives on purpose to isolate the motor and it´s noise/interference/whatever from the platter and record.

So the main argument left for technics is longevity, which is questionable, they DO break, they get repaired... Many times when you happen on them you will find the pitch faders are busted somehow.. they are not the invincible machine people make it out to be.

I started with a pair of Stanton STR-80, they served me well for 7 years (including scratching and juggling on them often), I sold them successfully and got 2 like-new Numark TTX1s for a good price, have had them for about 4 years now, skratching a few hours everyday and they are just like they were when I bought them. And the TTX1 is known to be prone to overheating and the motor control chip frying up...
I don´t know... gear tends to stay intact in my possession, and some people have stuff breaking on them all the time, I would take this stuff with a pinch of salt.

PS: I remembered something about burnt-out records. It´s expensive as hell but there are optical turntables, which use a laser to read the grooves. The laser can be calibrated to read the grooves where the needle hasn´t burned them out.. because the needle touches the grooves walls somewhere aroung the center of them and wears them out as it does this, but it doesn´t touch the bottom or the very edge of the grooves.. meaning the laser can read those parts and get a clean recording, like the record was new...
like I said they are expensive but that is fucking dope as hell and for somebody to think of that is crazy ingenious.