It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Post subject: Re: Balancing work and beats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:51 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
I felt this way years ago. I tried to be dedicated to music but work takes up 8 to 12 hours a day and by the time I get home, the family needs my presence. Can't be a drug dealer and I tried a few get rich schemes to make enough money to buy time to make music while off the grid. I had all these inspirations that needed to be released but it felt compressed in and was frustrating not to create.

After being on the street for 3 years trying to live a producer's dream, I figured it was time to find a good job with benefits and something with not "too much work". It was a hard search, I fought the world and finally landed my job as an agent at the city coliseum. I get to see music concerts and sports and my job is mostly walking around looking for unusual activities like theft, water leak etc. When there are no activities, I'm alone in an office doing nothing. Well, not nothing, I bring my iPad, MPC500 and SP303 to keep me busy. This job has been a Godsend for balancing my life. I even drew my album covers on shift as well as going through 90 scifi DVDs searching for quotes you hear on my albums, for 5 seconds of a quote it takes me hours to find it. All done at my job.

I hope this can be an inspiration to some, though I know times are hard. Times were hard then and I picked up my sword and conquered. Keep positive and never bitch and moan when you can take action.

Peace my fam

word

Do(p)e-Fi tha dusted monk

https://soundcloud.com/doe-fi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:02 pm 

When you don't have any kids or a spouse or a mortgage or anything, you have the privilege to structure your life however you want. You don't have anyone else's wants or needs to account for so it's all up to your own comfort and happiness.

take stock and see how you can change things to allow you to pursue your goals and passions. if that means less work and less $$, then do what you gotta do. you're gonna die one day, man.

Last edited by last_try on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:03 pm 

keep your necessities in mind tho. the last thing you want is to be struggling and starving and too hungry or cold to be able to really focus on your art

Last edited by last_try on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm 

nice topic!

i work 5 days a week - 40hours.
live with my girl who also is into beats & dancing, so that's handy when i wanna make my beats - she understands.
I often make beats until late and sleep for a few hours to get at work with a heavy head full of weed and music , thinkin of my beats and weed - can't wait to go home - repeat the moments.
24hours =8sleep+8work+8play.
for me mostly 4sleep+12play:)

In the weekend we do the cleaning & groceries early and make beats whole day until we eat - smoke chill and beat again.
Or sleep until late because of the day before and do all the things later.
My friends do the same or another ''creative passion'' that get's them busy.

Sometimes when i make too much beats , i end with a head out of tunes and inspiration.So then there comes the time of searching sounds and sampling and other things except making beats.Gaming - going out the house-watch tv-watch movies-paint-movie edit-kung fu-

Or life gets you upside down and you have to get up again and find the balance in this lifestyle before making beats again.

thnx for your share and letting me tell this, 1 love

Peace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:06 am 

charlietoohuman wrote:
What's up everyone
Long time lurker on these forums. Been wanting to be more open for awhile so I might as well start off with a topic that hits close to home for me.

So I work fulltime as a server (and occasional food runner/food truck cashier) for a tapas joint. I have been working there well over a year and to tell you all the truth, there really is nothing to complain about it. The team there is excellent, there is little to no drama or tension between co-workers, and pretty much everyone works together like a family unit.

My current issue though is that I clock in mad overtime. This past week was 55 hours total, which means good money for me but stifles my creative flow and takes away time from making beats. I have felt my creative energy slowly dissipating over the past months and have not pumped out beats as often as I used to...

My main question is: how do you all balance your work life with your passion? (making beats in our case)

I've been mad frustrated lately because work does get in the way. I guess it goes with that old saying that if you love it enough you will find time for it. But that's easier said than done.

I had to move back in with my parents, so I guess you could say I'm a little more privileged in this situation. But to those on a hard grind and who have families to take care of, any advice?

Brooooo i feel you so much on this!!!

Im only working 39 hrs a week and i still have trouble putting time in, what with dealing with shit at home and babysitting my baby nephew.

If I was in your shoes, I would probably just make beats as a hobby type thing. I mean thats if you really need the money and stuff you know? Cuz damn man 55hrs!?!?! Thats pretty good money ha!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:25 pm 

Runme_Raw wrote:
nice topic!
24hours =8sleep+8work+8play.
for me mostly 4sleep+12play:)

For me its 24hrs=6sleep+8work+2walkdog+2family+6play

Throw in 20min sex in between the entire schedule :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:48 pm 

In India, everything is cheaper, even going to the doctor, there is a lot of tourism for it, specialized sites like https://nearbyall.com/ allow you to find a good doctor at a much lower price, just as the monthly rent cost me About two hours of work here in Australia at the bike shop. It's crazy

If you have no children, take all the money you have earned, pack your sample in a bag, and book a plane ticket somewhere. 55 hours of work in a week are inhumane today. Go and do the same job in a new country where you will be paid double!