It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

Post subject: Need advice on FMR rnc vs. rnla.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:28 pm 

Hey, I heard a couple samples online but you can only find regular compression uses, not extreme sidechaining so I need you guys' advice. Also, they're not the same price so it's a factor. Anyways, I read that the RNC doesn't react well to low frequencies, whatever that means. I want to know if the RNC is better than the RNLA for sidechaining. I heard that the RNC was more pronounced and the RNLA more invisible. But if the RNC is more present but handles bass differently, how does it affect sidechaining.

So, I 'm hesitating between these two and a DBX 1066. For extreme sidechaining, what do you suggest?

Also, I don't use a computer, so, no, I won't settle for using plugins which are probably better. I used to do it in Ableton but I want to do it using hardware.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on FMR rnc vs. rnla.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:40 am 

Doubt many people have an opinion on this. Tbh, I have neither but I have wanted a rnc for some time. As far as I know the rnc has a nicer low end and does side chain. Also it seems a little cheaper from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:15 pm 

yeah that's the thing. I guess it's a matter of taste, something you have to try out within your own workflow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:59 pm 

Quote:
I heard that the RNC was more pronounced and the RNLA more invisible.

i have the rnc and i read that it's the other way around. the rnla should have more character and the rnc's sound should be cleaner. i don't know about sidechaining. i don't use the rnc a lot. it's too steril for me most of the time. this is a good thing if you only want to make stuff louder without changing the sound of it too much. i never tried the rnla but if i could i would trade it. the rnc is a very good cheap compressor but i think i would be happier with the rnla.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:56 am 

What he^ said.
I have the RNC and it is really 'scientific' WYSIWYG.
To my understanding, the RNLA is more freaky, and less transparent.

The FMRs are awesome for sidechaining. as you can see on the back panel, they have a dedicated 1/4" connector marked "sidechain".

Also with these units, you don't need to use a 'Y' cable to insert. They are internally wired so you can use a regular balanced 1/4" cable to insert the compressor.

I like that they are mini too cuz I pull it out and use it in different situations without having to unscrew rack bolts. I've even brought it in my backpack to some live events where I needed to regulate some signals.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:59 am 

I'm sorry to bump an old thread but I really want to buy an FMR RNC but I don't understand how I would use it (especially how I would use the sidechain??) Right now all the hardware I really have is my sp404sx my turntable a couple tape players and my computer, and I don't understand how you could run two channels from an sp to the inputs in the fmr and make the sidechain thing work? IDK I'm very confused I wish someone would enlighten me so I could buy this compressor :?: :?: :?: btw this is my first post on sp forums I can't believe how hard it was to register I had to ask all over soundcloud for the secret password like why

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:40 am 

Point blank.... with just the 404 and the RNC alone you wouldn't be able to sidechain.

Now... I've never done this but, theoretically, you could probably work around that by hard-panning your two sources and going at it that way. But I have zero idea how that would really work given the 404's limitations.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:39 am 

so why do these people want the compressor? how do they use it?
and is there any way for me to sidechain ever with the sp404sx?!!?
also would it be effective with the pumping and breathing like the compressor on the 404sx?
edit: do you think you could use the sidechain if you had two sps :lol:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:52 pm 

Do you know what a compressor is?

so why do these people want the compressor?
- For dynamic/transient control.

how do they use it?
- Once you understand what a compressor is doing then this will answer itself.

and is there any way for me to sidechain ever with the sp404sx?!!?
- I think there are some settings floating around here for a sidechain-like effect using MFX12 (the compressor) but it is not the same thing and won't work "every" time. No TRUE sidechaining.

also would it be effective with the pumping and breathing like the compressor on the 404sx?
-The MFX12 comp is not particularly good, it is pretty much just a compressor set to squash. You can get the pumping/breathing with most compressors if you have a heavy hand. Go ham on threshold, ratio and release (standard compressor settings).

edit: do you think you could use the sidechain if you had two sps
Yes. Sidechaining requires two sound sources, so of course you can.

The main reason why sidechaining is weird with the 404 is because you can't really separate the tracks internally because everything is coming out the same place. On my MPC, it is as easy as assigning my kick drum to output #1 and my bass line to output #2... bass line is hooked up to input on my compressor and my kick drum is hooked up to the sidechain input. Now the kick drum triggers the compression of the bass line, dial in to taste, track & forget.

Some easy reading:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLe ... Signal.jsp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 pm 

so theoretically, if i had the two sps, I would run one with what i want to sidechain into the sidechain then the other into a regular in then I would run the out into what? could i record that sound onto tape or something?
edit: that's another thing I needed to know, after I plug my sp into the compressor what do i do with the compressor's out to capture and record the sound ?

IIIII wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm 

Yep, you're getting there except that the sidechain input is where you would plug in the signal you DON'T want compressed.

If you want a bass line to be compressed, you would plug THAT into the input(s) on the RNC. If you want a kick drum to trigger the compression of your bass, you plug your kick drum into the sidechain input.

Your kick drum will be triggering the compression of the bass line. That is "sidechaining".

You would then run the outputs of the RNC to the inputs of your recorder. I've had zero issue recording straight to my Akai deck, catching the outputs of the RNC directly. I've also used this thing in a ton of different signal chains and I've never had an issue with it.

I would honestly avoid getting another SP just so you can do "legit" sidechaining.
If this is something you're after, I'd consider teaming up with an MPC 1000 (or something else that has assignable outputs).

I hope this is making sense. This is a strange concept to understand by simply browsing the internet. It will be instantly clear when you are able to sit down with the hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:14 pm 

I'm real tight on cash bc i drive an pos car and work part time so i was just looking for the cheapest piece of equipment i can put a wav file with a kick on so i wanted to get like a sp202 or something?? if i wanna save up and get a nice sampler workstation i really want an mv8800 (x
but I guess first thing i need to buy now is a tape deck :b

IIIII wrote: