It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The much dissed Korg Microsampler: better than you think
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:38 pm 

take your sample, -24. resample. do it again and you're 4 octave deep.

take that, audio fidelity

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 pm 

Rabot wrote:
take your sample, -24. resample. do it again and you're 4 octave deep.

take that, audio fidelity

ya but true playback speed adjust loses no quality just slows it down. In theory you could speed it back up and be back where you started. What I don't like is when they try to adjust pitch but maintain speed- then it generally sounds like ass.
:)
C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:55 pm 

Finally got one and its pretty dope, however, I have few issues so to speak.

Can you using only 1 bank at a time?, I was hoping to switch banks to add stuff for my loops but it seems you can't.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am 

only one bank at a time. but you can export samples to different banks. so if you work on drums first then make loops then export those to another bank (or two) and work on leads. make loops export loops repeat wash rinse.

btw, i let mine go! I just wasn't using it as I got some new gear. But it's going to a nice home in Germany...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:00 pm 

Im awaiting a micro sampler coming in the post from the man in japan :wink:

Should be here soon :D Cant wait to get down with this beast

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:29 pm 

Well I have spent half the morning with my new microsampler and all I can say is WOW!!!.
This thing is a beast. It does everything I wish an sp would do and more.
The only part I don't like is not being able to chop samples like on sp 606 or 404 but no biggie as I have a 606 and 404 for this purpose.
I can see this having a very positive effect on my music and relieving the creative block that the op 1 created with its linear based workflow.

Time stretching is amazing, bpm sync actually works. Being able to bounce patterns to a single key stereo sample is something Iv been looking for in a sampler for a long time.
All the efx are very usable and very much what I was looking for.
I just can't express enough how much I love this thing.
Fucking happy boy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:05 pm 

MAAM, I couldn't agree more
This sampler will be sought after in many years.... just saying. It's the ultimate SP combo'd weapon, level 13 wizard status (bllah blah preach preach)
REAL PITCH and 6BIT lofi
Igotta learn that grain effect tho. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 pm 

Igotta learn that grain effect tho. :shock:[/quote]

I checked that effect today and yea it's a bit of a strange one :?

I must say though Iv almost finished a beat with the thing already.
I just need to work out how to bounce things down to save the sample time as I'm used to the massive amount of time you have with the sp where you don't even need to think about bouncing down a three min beat to layer over the top but I have a few ideas already. Maybe this is where I should bring the 606 into play but I would like to be able to work within the microsampler on its own.

One thing I really love is the compressor. Man that is a dope. You get a real nice breathing effect from it. Better than the vinyl comp on the 606 IMHO

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:42 am 

Why you gotta make regret that shit 0.o

Just joshing. You get that pedal yet;-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I just bought a Microsampler yesterday and I think I must be dreaming.

Great FX (tape echo/stereo delay)
No resample latency
time stretching much better than SP
true MOTHERFUCKING pitch
better sequencer
lightning fast workflow
Keygate sampling WOW

I have absolutely zero complaints. 10/10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 pm 

kel wrote:
true MOTHERFUCKING pitch

yessss :D

man, i tried it last year in a big store, maybe my ears were not confortable enough, too much space etc, but i felt the sound wasn't very appealing to me, ...could you confirm that and also could you explain a little bit of those please?
kel wrote:

Great FX (tape echo/stereo delay)
time stretching much better than SP
better sequencer
Keygate sampling WOW

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 pm 

kel wrote:
I just bought a Microsampler yesterday and I think I must be dreaming.

i felt exactly the same when i got my microsampler. still love it. only very few minor complaints. i hope we can hear some stuff you did with it soon...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:34 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

@ Ella, I will give you my opinion about some of these features now that I've spent some hours playing with this thing...

The FX sound great, and you have control over many parameters of each (also assignable to the 2 control knobs, although the knobs tend to skip around which can be annoying, especially when trying to automate during resampling). The delays I find especially nice, they give a 3-dimensional atmosphere to mono sounds, very refreshing after using chorus for this purpose with the 404 with mixed results. I found that randomly hitting the tap tempo button while resampling makes some trippy glitches.

I haven't messed with the time stretch much, but it is noticeably better than the 404. Also, tempo stays consistent regardless of in pattern mode or sampling mode, so FX will always sync to present tempo (no need to make dummy patterns). Unfortunately, any time-stretched sample will hog twice its polyphony space.

I like the sequencer because you can go into 'practice mode' by toggling rec button. Annoying metronome is at a fixed, harsh loudness but it can be turned off (99 bars method). Also patterns can apparently be switched on the fly by closest bar instead of end pattern. Best of all, you can resample pattern performance to a key, re-chop, etc.

Different sampling modes are nice...but as said earlier on this thread, key gate mode is not totally seamless... but for a workaround I'll sample chops 1,3,5, etc... on the white keys and go back and do the even numbers on the black keys. "Auto next" mode is surprisingly convenient and accurate but I don't think it can be done in resample mode. You can also set any sampling mode to start recording by sample button, note-on or desired threshold (sensitivity 1-10).

NOW FOR MY (FEW) COMPLAINTS.......

It is VERY easy to overwrite samples accidentally. Unlike the 404, the microsampler will allow you to overwrite any sample at any time without having to delete the previous one. This is a nice feature, saves time (Purging) but it is very easy to screw up. I find myself constantly saving, so that I can turn the microsampler off and on if I make a big mistake. Also, in pattern mode if you don't stop recording it will just wipe clean everything you did as it loops around again.

No attack settings for samples, so you will often get that beginning "click". hitting a key repeatedly will also give you this click sound (randomly :evil: :evil: ), similar to vinyl sim crackle. It is not always noticeable but I really don't like the way it pops at times i wouldn't expect. The Korg editor software can fix clicks at the beginning (via usb) with a "fade in" setting.... but why there is no attack setting on the machine itself is beyond me (decay and release are both included). I would have traded half of these FX for a setting to fix these clicks. It's not too much of a hassle to do this in the software (it's fast and transmits back and forth) but I don't like having to use a laptop.

@squil, hopefully I'll come up with something soon! I'm still just messing around with it. Also, let me know if you are experiencing these annoying clicking sounds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31 am 

@kel
wow very exaustive complete and critic description! Thanx!
i have found those 2 points very interesting
kel wrote:
Also patterns can apparently be switched on the fly by closest bar instead of end pattern. Best of all, you can resample pattern performance to a key, re-chop, etc.

another question: do you have also step recording on this machine? i didn't noticed that on the manual...
ps
yes, the fact that the attack is not there and the decay and the release do, it's a bit strange...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

ellaguru wrote:
do you have also step recording on this machine? i didn't noticed that on the manual...

There is no step record, but KEYGATE mode makes it fast to grab many samples in a row at your own pace and line them up. Then I guess you could quantize that in a pattern and resample to a key.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next