It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: dakim vid / setup question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:04 pm 

eighty9s wrote:
I FIGURED IT OUT WITH THE SP404SX ONLY USING DELAY. I RECORED MYSELF FUCKING AROUND FOR 30 MINUTES PRESSING RANDOM BUTTNS, ALSO HAD MY MIC IN ADDING VOICE SOUNDS. I CUT OUT 3 PRETTY GOOD EXAMPLES.

PRESS REMAIN+DELAY///CTRL1 SET TO T2///CTRL 2 ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT///CTRL 3 ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT///START WITH A DRUM PATTERN OR SOMETHING AND LET IT LOOP///SLOWLY FADE TO LEFT TO DIM SOUNDS WHILE ADDING NEW ONES///RIGHT TO LEFT REALLY FAST TO GET THE SIDECHAIN EFFECT///TURN CTRL 2 ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT AND WAIT FOR ALL SOUNDS TO STOP///

HOPE IT HELPS

you figured out man!
thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 am 

welcome
made a video today to show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-L4310T7g

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:32 am 

i've seen you're video,what i don't figure is how it happens that when you push pads, no sound is hearing at the first touch...i used an sp303,505 and 606 and everytime the sound is suddenly out at the first hit...
other thing: i noticed the when i tried this looper trick, after 50/60 seconds everything became too much feedbeackish...i tend then to low feedback down a bit, but after that i re up it to avoid the ending of track sound...

btw i saw better the video, i think dakim, at certain passages, uses the feedback delay of both machines...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:55 am 

did you press remain+delay? all the pads have to have delay enabled. my effect limit is on, i dont know if that might help. my ctrl 3 is all the way to the right

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 pm 

thanks for the vid, will give it a shot tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:13 pm 

okay cool, i think it comes real close, I'm also getting some nice results with eighty9s settings. I'm also using my 404sx.

I get the best results when the first knob is on T1, the maximum delay. With ctrl 2 and 3 set far right, in effect, you can drop in a sound and you'll hear it on the next beat. On the 404 if you have ctrl 3 at full right, you get no direct sound, but only the effected sound. (On the sp303 it sounds immediately, and there is no t1, the max delay is t2.3).

Also now I get what you guys mean by the sidechaining sound, it's the delayed sound of turning ctrl/feedback control to limit the noise proliferation. Basically, he cuts a tiny bit from the looping sound on the fly, by quickly turning the ctrl 2 knob down as the sound occurs. Cut and paste (without the paste). And you don't hear it immediately, as it controls the delayed sound, while the direct sound is already turned all the way down.

I had the internal mic open on hitting some pads or just the side of the box, this also added some nice ambient drum sounds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 pm 

I just found out a nice way to record loops that you build with the delay fx, using the resample function, and without a second SP or other recording device.

On the 303:

- Set the machine on a slow delay (t2 or t1) as described above, with ctrl 2 and 3 all the way to the right.
-Set all the samples you want to use to use the delay fx.
- Build the loop by adding little snippets of sound (use short samples or set the pads to gate).
- When you have a loop you like, press resample and rec, and use an empty pad (or one with the sample volume turned down to 0) to start the resample recording. (This way you don't add any more sound to the loop as you trigger the resampling.) The delayed sound will keep playing as the recording starts.

Of course you can also build the loop while you're already recording/resampling, but this way you won't run out of sampling time too quickly, you can just mess around with no time pressure until you get a nice result, then record that.

I'll try if the 404sx allows the same method later on. Might be it cuts off the delay fx sound when you start the resampling, because it's just less nice than the 303.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 pm 

@dishwater
cool this seems interesting, i have to try it on both 303 or 505...why not on the 606 too...who knows...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:27 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
@dishwater
cool this seems interesting, i have to try it on both 303 or 505...why not on the 606 too...who knows...

It works on the 404sx too, I just tried. It's a fun method. It's nice to have the longer delay period that the 404 has as opposed to the 303, as you can have loops that are a bit longer.
Especially with the primitive ducking method it's really nice way to sort of weave loops together on the fly.

The downside is that you can only make very short loops, so it's only good for the most repetetive elements. Also I don't think you can control the length of the delay period (I thought it varied with the pattern bpm before, but I'm not really sure about this).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm 

How can you set the bpm's, (delay repetitions) when you loop in a Dakim Style?
Why sometimes it´s fastest than others?
Tks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 pm 

gustavo_tre wrote:
How can you set the bpm's, (delay repetitions) when you loop in a Dakim Style?
Why sometimes it´s fastest than others?
Tks

which sp are you doing it on?

the 505 is nifty to loop with this method because you can set in and change the pattern bpm with a quick turn of the dial. on the 404 you have to either enter pattern mode or some shit or have the longest sample in your card bank be the bpm of your desired loop (which means you have to switch in and out long samples when you need a diff bpm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 pm 

You tell me that I need to charge a 120 bpm loop (asuming that is the bpm I need) in any bank, but ...... must be the longer?
By the way, I use an SP404sx
TKS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 pm 

Press [EXT SOURCE] then press TIME/BPM to adjust the master clock on the SX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 am 

okay so i think he records all his beats into the Microsampler & has each beat on each key....Because on the microsampler you can record each beat and put it on any key and then he takes the RCA outs out of the microsampler into the ins of the SP-505 and triggers it with live effects...and takes the output of the 505 into some speakers....

i have the microsampler and you can turn the dial and have each beat on a the dial....it has a dial that turns like a washer machine...you use that to flip thru each beat... i use my microsampler with a Roland s-10 i copped from Goodwill for $20....The Roland S-10 feels like an ASR 10...so i just midi up the Microsampler and use the weighted keys from the s-10...and i've been makin some dope stuff from it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:41 am 

got lazy while reading this, so it may have already been addressed, but setting mfx/ctrl3 to 12 o'clock cuts out the delay of hitting the sample to when it sounds. (at least on the 404sx)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next