It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 pm

Post subject: Do you have enough 12-voice polyphonic?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 am 

Recently bought sp 404sx, 2 days of use had in love with him, but saddens me 12-voice polyphonic, ie 6 stereo.
I have heard many steep bits made ​​on sp 404, where it was clearly more than 6 stereo voices.
For me it is very important because I do not even have a percussion + drum
more 6 votes stereo
How do you solve this problem?
Sorry for my English (google translate one love :lol: )

Post subject: Re: Do you have enough 12-voice polyphonic?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:06 am 

Hello and welcome.

I had same frustration with my 404SX because I wanted to use the Pattern Sequencer mainly.

The solution is called the "resampling technique' and it very simply means you combine sounds together onto one pad to avoid reaching polyphony limit.

There are many posts on this but basically after you get the hang of it you will like it better than Pattern Sequencer (though I have still done entire tracks in the sequencer)

1- start with say 6 stereo samples of a drum kit
2- resample the hi hat like a metronome
3- resample that and add bass and kick
4- resample that and add other things

and so on.

So you create lots of tracks you will throw away but you are resampling everything over and over and getting more and more sounds but keeping low polyphony use.

I did not like it at first. i wanted the quantise and pattern sequencer and you cannot record the Pattern Sequencer to a pad so that sucked too. But now I love the resample method. If you mess up you just delete last take and redo it. Like old school recording to tape.

The 555 cannot record the sequencer either I don't think.

Anyway- resample method or people are also using their DAW and putting elements they make on the SP onto the computer and sequencing there.

There are battles and challenges here with rules that are fun because sometimes you have so many limits you get really creative like the Resample Challenges.

Have fun-

C