It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

Post subject: Making Drum Breaks Hit Hard With the SP-202
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:17 am 

Sorry to be a forum leech and not contribute but I'm new to the machine. I'll contribute where I can in the future, rest assured. But I was wondering how folks usually treat their drum breaks in the 202 to give them some real grit and punch? Aside from mixing them later in a DAW, what are some of your methods ?

Post subject: Re: Making Drum Breaks Hit Hard With the SP-202
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:35 pm 

if you have a turntable or tape deck with pitch control, you could sample drums pitched up and then use the pitch effect to slow them back down. or filters, or reduced quality record mode might do the trick.

i always felt that hifi on the 202 was gritty and lofi enough on its own, so i can only imagine how dirty you want your breaks. i'm curious to hear what you do with the 202, post something when you can!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:59 pm 

false tropics wrote:
if you have a turntable or tape deck with pitch control, you could sample drums pitched up and then use the pitch effect to slow them back down. or filters, or reduced quality record mode might do the trick.

i always felt that hifi on the 202 was gritty and lofi enough on its own, so i can only imagine how dirty you want your breaks. i'm curious to hear what you do with the 202, post something when you can!

Will do! Yeah, I sampled a drum break into the 202 on all four sampling settings. Hi-fi sounded like the break pretty much verbatim. Standard sounded a bit punchier and just the right amount of bit grit (my preferred drum sampling setting now). Lo-fi was even grittier but I though the drums lost some of their umph. And lo-fi 2 just sounded too quiet and distorted for my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 am 

I have a 202 also but i like the hifi setting only... i mean standard on a kick has that ring mod sound...ya know that hi pitched sound. I do use Standard sometimes for snares, but i make sure the recording level clips a little so i can keep that snap. I feel like standard and lofi are sort of hollow sounding. Am i the only one who feels this way.

Ive been interested in making beats soley with the 202 and i wanna get the most out of it...
If only the headphone jack wasnt half broken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:03 pm 

I like the top three setting for drums, so I exclude lo fi 2. Depending on what I am going for with the sample...

I like pulling a handful of breaks and making kits and I bounce samples back and forth from sp404 to sp202. I use 202 for filter and sometimes pitch.. the 404 for eq and compression among other fx

bottom line for me is experimentation... example: if I am making a kit that has 2 kick, 2 snares and some hats/cymbals ... after doing what I had initially planned on I always have the raw samples and try to fill up a bank just trying new things, layering and truncating.. applying different settings to fx,

one little trick I picked up for making drum kits that works well when you only have one snare and you want some variation is to time stretch/compress a copy of your snare a few times, it accents your drums nicely sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 pm 

i like to record the break pitched down and then make the kicks turn on the red light just barley when recording

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 am 

ritchrd wrote:
i like to record the break pitched down and then make the kicks turn on the red light just barley when recording

Followed you quick! That 132 Jigglypuff song was dope.