It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

Post subject: Re: Grooveboxes: Which have you tried?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 am 

I've had a MC505, All the electribes at one time or another (except for the ESX, but it is on my to do list), and a Yamaha AN200/DX200. (I had the AN200 aaaaaaages ago, but lost to a pawn store, but I still got my DX200), and I used to have a Yamaha Rm1x and RS7000. (Not at the same time). I found I got bored of the sounds on the 7000 after 3 weeks, and didn't really scratch the surface of sequencing with the thing. I'd maybe try it again, but I want to try a MC909 first.

Don't know if anybody has noticed but there's a german company called ModeMachines, that's coming out with a SID chip groovebox. I've have GOT to check that out (and will have to order it from europe probably). If you need to learn more about it, I can post a link to their site for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:30 am 

UPDATE:

Got another AN200, a MPC1000 (which I haven’t used much because it’s in the pawn shop, but I’ll try to get that back soon), and I’m doing layaway on an AKAI Miniak. I have to order a power supply for it, but that isn’t too difficult to locate on eBay.

Anyway, having both the AN200/DX200 gives you a wider pallet of sounds, but they share the same drum sounds in the patterns. But you have tons of different ones to choose from if you want to change them, but you have to remember to save, or you lose it. They repeat themselves in 1 bar loops, so slaving them to a master sequencer would probably be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:27 pm 

springwater wrote:
Whats the deal with those elektrons. I dont hear much either besides dude rocking out to techno and trance beats. Does anyone have any experience with any of those machines. They have this new analog 4 which looks pretty and the price is probably justifiable for someone making club music for days but im really curious as to what other things they have to offer besides a step sequencing analog setup.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/hip-hop- ... takt/40835

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 pm 

formal wrote:
You can buy EVERY korg electribe for the price of a single elektron machine. To be honest I haven't really heard much stuff that blew my mind or sounded any different from other gear out there. If they priced them at $600 I would be a lot more tempted to try it out, but as it is I can't justify spending that much on one. Same thing goes for the tenori-on. They now have a cheaper version, but it's still too pricey to impulse buy. A tenori priced at $400 would be the sweet spot.

I posted a link above of hip hop made on the Digitakt. Can get a Digitakt for about $600 (used) I bet. The Model: Samples is cheaper, like $400 brand new, but you can only download samples (can't sample itself). Seems like they're trying to produce gear that is more reasonably priced.

Only Elektron gear I own is the Analog Heat (which I love), I thought about the Digitakt or Octatrack.... did a lot of research... I thought about them for their workflow & sample mangling, they seem like devices that spark creativity, but in a different way than other gear. I have MPC's & a sp404sx, I think a Digitakt/Octatrack would go great with an sp &/or MPC.

Personally I'm a fan of sp's & MPC's. Those are my favorite samplers. I had the Electribe (synth version) the newer one. A lot of cool drums, but I didn't like how you couldn't turn the quantize off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:47 pm 

The Elektron stuff looks pretty interesting. I'm happy to see them on the market and will probably mess with one at some point... if a used one comes across my radar for the right price.

It's probably been discussed to death in this thread already, but I'd love an Op-1 more than any other piece of gear at this point. Looks like some next level shit.

Headphones mentions the Yamaha RM1x above... I used to have one of those for a number of years, and I loved it. It's got a great build quality, amazing sequencer and midi master capabilities, and some decent sounds and effects. I always wanted an RS7000, but didn't have the coin for it when I was inspired to buy one. These are both on some advanced sequencing shit for sure.

Years after selling my RM1x I picked up a QY100, hoping to capture some of the magic that I missed in the RM1x... and it just isn't the same (duh... but seriously). I never clicked with the QY.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:49 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:
It's probably been discussed to death in this thread already, but I'd love an Op-1 more than any other piece of gear at this point. Looks like some next level shit.

Knowing what I know about you, the music you make, how you like to make tracks (read a little about your workflow with sp's), I think you would absolutely adore the Op1. I researched it for like 2-3 years thinking it was too expensive, not my style. It's a lot to throw down on something. I got the K.O. & it made me look closer at the Op1. I finally took the plunge, bought 1 for $900 & I can't get enough of it. It's a different way of working when it comes to the sequencers..... they are basically step sequencers for the most part. But the amount of ways to build tracks on this thing.... the amount of sound design possibilities..... it's just crazy. Endless fun & endless ways to do things. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. & you can lay down unquantized on the tape (don't have to use sequencers). I'm sure you know a lot of this, but I can't pass up a chance to talk about this thing. BUT.... it's not for everyone, that's for sure. I just have a feeling you would really like it :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:08 am 

Decided to get my Electribes EA-1/ER-1mk2 to play with the Yamaha AN/DX200s, and since I was a few audio cables short, just decided to put them in the audio ins.....

:shock: ....and honestly, they don’t play nice together. Just waaaaay too muddy with bass from both Electribes and if I boosted the gates of the audio ins, that still didn’t help. I probably need some compressors now to tame the Electribes so they aren’t too much bass, and perhaps another compressor for the Yamahas, because they need to be a bit louder, but not to the point where I can’t save them from sounding like crap. At least the Midi worked nicely with them.

I would love an Electron Digitone to compliment my DX200, but it would be at least October or November before I can. As for the OP-1, I missed out when they were priced about $600-850. Now they’re going $1500. Sorry, as cool as it is, I just can’t see myself getting one. Just goes to show some gear doesn’t even need to be around a decade or so before it’s value doubles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:53 am 

I already said this here (on the forum), but I honestly gotta repeat it :

Arturia drumbrute impact.

Man, that is some WICKED shit for that price tag (300$) - incredibly versatile and intuitive sequencer, quantize / non quantize functions, rolls, loops, individual parameters for instruments that actually do something useful, two step velocity pads (with colour mode that's actually four different levels of velocity for each instrument - a blessing for hi hats and snares), compact, light, sturdy...
I mean, one would argue that it's not really a groovebox, it's analogue synth / drum machine - but by definition - groovebox (and I quote off wiki) consists of three integrated elements.
One or more sound sources, such as a drum machine, a synthesizer, or a sampler
A music sequencer
A control surface that is a combination of knobs (potentiometer or rotary encoder), sliders, buttons, and display elements (LED and/or LCD)

Well, this bitch has it all :D

The only thing I don't really like is the snare sound, too thin for my taste, but since it has independent outputs for kick, snare, hihat and FM drum (modulation) - It's not really a problem, you can (and I do) colour it either way, so..... For 300$?! Blew my mind off. Saved money for vinyl too, I was thinking of buying MPC LIVE, hell it was a damn deal done too - but the moment I turned arturia "on" I realised the potential. Been the core of my live settup for months now tbh I can't get my hands off it. They managed to pack tons of features into it, and I like the sounds better than the original drumbrute (which is almost double in price)

@Sharris whaddup yo! Long time no see. Looking forward to seeing/hearing you in the arena! :) hope everything is good and life's treating you fine sis!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:32 pm 

@sharris
Thanks for sharing yo! I will continue to keep an eye out for the right deal on an Op-1.

@headphones
You might just need a good mixer to bring all your stuff together. Loopmantra just posted a good endorsement for an edirol mixer that seems like it would help take your setup to the next level... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rol-m-10dx

or look into a multi-track recorder that has USB functionality for getting your recordings into the digital realm... here's a cheap option that myself and others on here have praised: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ortastudio

Also... while there is something to be said for taming all your electronic musical devices at once... and getting them to all sync up and play together... often times you will experience more success in actually making music you like when you find the right combo of 2 or 3 pieces... and sometimes just two things at once. Don't rack your brain trying to make them all sound nice together. It can take you away from the fun part of actually making music. Just speaking from personal experience. Disregard this if it doesn't apply.

@Loopmantra
That thing looks nice. So an analog drum machine only synthesizes 1 set of drum sounds, and then it's up to you to shape their sound right? You're not getting that machine because it has lots of great drums, but more for the sequencing capabilities? My experience with drum machines is more along the lines of them having lots of drum sounds and less midi & sequencing functionality... ie., Boss DR-202, or Alesis SR-18.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:41 pm 

LoopmantrA wrote:
I already said this here (on the forum), but I honestly gotta repeat it :

Arturia drumbrute impact.

Man, that is some WICKED shit for that price tag (300$) - incredibly versatile and intuitive sequencer, quantize / non quantize functions, rolls, loops, individual parameters for instruments that actually do something useful, two step velocity pads (with colour mode that's actually four different levels of velocity for each instrument - a blessing for hi hats and snares), compact, light, sturdy...
I mean, one would argue that it's not really a groovebox, it's analogue synth / drum machine - but by definition - groovebox (and I quote off wiki) consists of three integrated elements.
One or more sound sources, such as a drum machine, a synthesizer, or a sampler
A music sequencer
A control surface that is a combination of knobs (potentiometer or rotary encoder), sliders, buttons, and display elements (LED and/or LCD)

Well, this bitch has it all :D

The only thing I don't really like is the snare sound, too thin for my taste, but since it has independent outputs for kick, snare, hihat and FM drum (modulation) - It's not really a problem, you can (and I do) colour it either way, so..... For 300$?! Blew my mind off. Saved money for vinyl too, I was thinking of buying MPC LIVE, hell it was a damn deal done too - but the moment I turned arturia "on" I realised the potential. Been the core of my live settup for months now tbh I can't get my hands off it. They managed to pack tons of features into it, and I like the sounds better than the original drumbrute (which is almost double in price)

@Sharris whaddup yo! Long time no see. Looking forward to seeing/hearing you in the arena! :) hope everything is good and life's treating you fine sis!

I don’t have a particular problem with either DrumBrute. But I’ve decided to try & avoid drum machines since I’ve got a ER-1, DR202, AN/DX200s, not to mention pocket operators. But I’ve kinda slacked in the synth department, which is a reason I picked up the AN200 & put an Akai Miniak on layaway. I would definitely want either one, if I had more room, but unless I ever get my own crib, I just gotta pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:

@headphones
You might just need a good mixer to bring all your stuff together. Loopmantra just posted a good endorsement for an edirol mixer that seems like it would help take your setup to the next level... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rol-m-10dx

or look into a multi-track recorder that has USB functionality for getting your recordings into the digital realm... here's a cheap option that myself and others on here have praised: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ortastudio

Also... while there is something to be said for taming all your electronic musical devices at once... and getting them to all sync up and play together... often times you will experience more success in actually making music you like when you find the right combo of 2 or 3 pieces... and sometimes just two things at once. Don't rack your brain trying to make them all sound nice together. It can take you away from the fun part of actually making music. Just speaking from personal experience. Disregard this if it doesn't apply.

I’ve got this as a 8 channel mixer, but it’s so old that it has no mids. Just Bass/Treble, but you can use FX units in mono with this. My back has been killing me, and I was using my equipment on the couch & a mini table, so I just didn’t experiment enough. I spent more time this morning on it, but now my back is really giving me pain. However, if the EA-1 is sync’d to the AN/DX, it’s better to NOT play the patterns from either 200. Just have the EA-1 be the master, and the AN/DX slaved to it. There’s 4 midi channels, but you can only sequence 2 of them on the EA-1. But you can use 4 bars instead of 1. A compressor still would be good to have later, but I maybe have been working too hard, and hopefully I get my vacation time to stay home & make beats.

Attachments:
E90BA1F6-C1D5-45C7-8EF5-51A522611A78.jpeg
E90BA1F6-C1D5-45C7-8EF5-51A522611A78.jpeg [ 198.36 KiB | Viewed 5621 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:22 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:

@Loopmantra
That thing looks nice. So an analog drum machine only synthesizes 1 set of drum sounds, and then it's up to you to shape their sound right? You're not getting that machine because it has lots of great drums, but more for the sequencing capabilities? My experience with drum machines is more along the lines of them having lots of drum sounds and less midi & sequencing functionality... ie., Boss DR-202, or Alesis SR-18.

Exactly.
I'm loving the work flow, plus the sequencer is amazing and truly versatile, swing per instrument as well as per step? Randomize too? Shit man, I still can't believe they packed it into a 300$ unit
No automation though, but it's really asking too much :D
Also not the best drum sounds tbh, but loving it nonetheless. Kick is brutal, hihats are nice, the toms can be used as a bass as well.
Synced it with SP 404 sx, so know I'm exploring more options. But it quickly won me over :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:21 pm 

I'm going to add another dope underrated groovebox...

The DJS-1000.

That is one badass sampler. Don't listen to the marketing or renowned DJs on how they trying to sell it. They doing an injustice. Use it like an SP and you're in for a treat like never before. Next level.

First, its all in real-time. Anything. You can sample while playing a pattern, even edit a sample as a pattern plays to get a precise fitting into a beat. Samples can be mangled as the beat plays giving users a little Octatrack feel. Timestretching/Pitch is straight from Pioneer's CDJ technology and you control from the fader or the knobs, in realtime too.

Only downside, has no internal memory and no pattern chaining.

However, I hear the Toraiz SP-16 also is a realtime sampler but has 7GB of internal memory and Song mode fyi.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 pm 

There's a new sampler/sequencer coming in a couple of weeks:
https://1010music.com/product/blackbox.
Looks pretty powerful for such a small package. No real FX tho, at least not yet.