It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: share your secret weapons!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:09 pm 

ableton,Mpd,Teac 1/4" tape machines.Tons of vinyl no secrets really

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am 

Hi all,
First post hear.

I sample all through a kaoss pad. No need for fx, but has a lower sample quality than my sound card so adds a little flavor.

I run most samples through mlr ( max patch for monomes)
Strech, reverse And so on

I make bass with all sorts of things and record it with my zoom h4n.
( plactic bags, Paper, Any thing really. And resample it with what ever I see fit.)

Cya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 pm 

resample chops wit drums, reverb mfx2 (OG) or some shit then reverse completed loop, play new drums over, turn original loop down so kicks m snares dont clash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 pm 

Slight ring mod effect from the 404sx on kick drums with a slightly different ring mod in the snare....crunch!!'

Http://www.Soundcloud.com/stormy-acres

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:35 pm 

the sampling to sp via kaoss pad is a great thing... i do that with guitar... that way i can mess up the sound in many ways before even trimming them and resampling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 pm 

Here's 9 tips of varying usefulness. Sorry if any of this has been said earlier in the thread. Hope this all makes sense.

-----

For deeper, grittier drums loops (drums mainly but works with anything) this works a treat. I do this in Recycle & Reason but there's no reason why Recycle + another DAW couldn't do this.

1, Chop a break down to every note hit & save
2, Open Reason, create a Combi with 2x Dr Octorex routed through a 6:2 line mixer
3, Import the loop into both
4, Hit the 'copy loop to track' button on one Octorex
5, Drag the loop into the Combi's note lane (use it for sequencing, not the Octorex)
6, Pitch the 2nd loop down a whole octave
7, Turn the 2 loop down to between 50% to 90% that of the original loop
8, EQ the 2nd loop with a boost around 80-150Hz
9, Add some subtle overdrive or tape distortion + short reverb to the 1st drum loop
10, Tweak the loop to how you want it to sound & export to SP

-----

In the SP don't chock the break/riff into individual notes, rather equal length durations of the loop. For instance 1 bar into 4 quarter notes. Then chop the loop again into syncopated hits, start halfway between the first & second count of bar then chop a quarter length after it. Resample hardcore on the syncopated chops. Play back by occasionally hitting the resampled chops hits between regular chops.

-----

In the 606 use samples with long notes to make pads by:
1, Filter the sample to a frequency that'll sit nice in the mix
2, Add reverb
3, Reverse
4, Add reverb
5, Reverse
6, Add reverb
7, Reverse
8, Repeat 2-7 ad nauseum
9, Once it's smeared enough add chorus
10, Reverse for the last time (have the sample play in reverse to what the final sound will play)
11, Set the sample to gate
12, Use the envelope (FX 45) to release quicker than the the sample's start (this is simulating an ADSR's attack in reverse)
13, Reverse a final time & set the sample to play the whole way through & you have one long arsed pad.

^other SPs might also be able to do that, pretty confident 505s should be able to do it better than the 606.

Failing those 13 steps...

Just use a synth to make the pad save & save loads of time.

-----

For a bit of artificial swing chop a drum loop evenly (quarter notes), sequence it back the same way (1st pad on 1st beat, 2nd on 2nd etc). Then speed up the pattern's tempo a couple of BPM. Makes the on-bar counts trigger earlier than expected & keeps the other sounds in the loop at the original tempo. Works real nice with busier loops.

-----

Don't be afraid of sampling out of 4/4 time. If your sample's in any other count find where the kicks & snares are then use those slices to rearrange the loop into mutant sounding 4/4.

-----

Listen to mid 90s drum & bass (shit like Photek & Roni Size FTW) then use those dude's techniques. Those dudes went deep into their samplers.

-----

Don't just listen to music you like, listen to music you don't like & try to figure it out. Helps put perspective on things.

-----

Use ring mod on really short looping chops (the kind that sound like a synth). Set the pad to 'gate' & freak on the ring mod's settings. Sounds like a martian's version of scratching.

-----

Absolute must fucking know shit: Learn music theory (can never stress that too much, its fucking fundamental to what we do as musicians) & get a guitar tuner (match samples way more reliably than by ear).

Last edited by Unfolding on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:53 pm 

Should also mention a 10th weapon.

If you've got 2 (or more) hardware synths & at least one has a keyboard & can send midi then chain those bastards!

Have both of them play when you push a note on the midi master's keyboard. Midi out on the 1st synth to midi in on the 2nd synth. If you've got a 3rd synth then midi through the 2nd into the 3rd. Now you can make super unique tones! Got my Minibrute hooked up to the SH-32 like this, shit sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 am 

i put cookies in my 404sx' battery compartment.

orangina life/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am 

Unfolding wrote:
Absolute must fucking know shit: Learn music theory (can never stress that too much, its fucking fundamental to what we do as musicians) & get a guitar tuner (match samples way more reliably than by ear).

Can't stress this enough. Once you learn how to make a scale up (look into the intervals) and chords, that stuff's invaluable.

Cheeky tip on working out what note your sample is............... Hum/sing into a guitar tuner the same pitch as the sample. There's loads of phones apps out there!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:15 pm 

I'll just run the headphone jack into a guitar tuner if I have to know. Or wen im using synth for bass lines I'll just play the sample while hitting notes on the keys until it syncs up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm 

i use the sampletrak to dirty up my drums and some samples before loading it into microsampler, sp-505, mpc 1000.

for drum hits from drum kits:
1. sample in hi-fi
2. compress, tune up anywhere from 5-14 or so
3. resample on standard
4. tune down to original or lower for grit and artifacts
5. compression effect again

for samples (i only mess with vinyl for music samples)
1. run record player on 45 plus 10 pitch
2. sample in mid-fi
3. tune down to whatever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:00 am 

i guess i just wanted to post.

that if you ever have a bass note and kick drum that have sub bass that overlaps you can apply MFX14 to take out that sub on either the bass or the kick so that that you dont get a muffled, over powering sub.

http://soundcloud.com/p-o-n-t-u-s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:04 am 

To get my chops n loops perfect, i hit reverse to rewind to the point i wanna mark.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 am 

just because you can chop super fine, doesnt always mean you have to. especially with drum breaks. theres magic in there from breaking up loops....but knowing when to chop and when to chill is a virtue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:00 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Mentioned first by IIIII,

The sequencer can be your best friend even if you do the resample, one-take method. Get a new sequence, turn bpm down to 40 and length up to 99 bars, make sure quantize is off and metronome's off as well. Then hit record and do your performance as is. If you want to make any velocity changes or swap out samples, it will save your performance so you don't have to do it all over. Useful also for when you need to jump to another bank or something... just overlap until you're done.

Also, having problems remembering what sounds are on what card, or if you want to retrieve an idea later on that you didn't have enough time to try out last session, use the internal mic and say whatever, like a voice memo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next