It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Post subject: Recording Process??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:28 pm 

I was just curious how you guys lay your s**t down. Do most of you use multi track recorders? Anyone use an audio interface? Any other methods. Right now i can only record into my 1/8in mic input on my laptop and it sounds like shit. I'd like to be able to enter some battle beats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I record right into my macbook with audacity I have have no problem with fidelity on the finished product. My macbook has a good sound card, but I get the same great results through my crappy ass dell soundcard and reaper also recorded through the line in jack.

Post subject: Re: Recording Process??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:05 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

MusicFiend wrote:
Right now i can only record into my 1/8in mic input on my laptop and it sounds like shit. I'd like to be able to enter some battle beats.

Are you sure there is no line input on the computer. Anytime you put a line output to a mic input its gonna sound bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 pm 

I chop, sequence and do efx with the sp404 and record w/ a micro br digital 4 track but don't do any overdubs. Recently I've started recording drum loops of me trying to drum with a Vivitar Mpeg4 Camera(it sounds lo fi enough) and then I look for samples on any source that has a headphone out, whether it be cd, mp3, youtube,kids toys, synths, records, tapes, radio, dvd whatever and then chop, sequence, arrange and record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:35 pm 

Yeah, I only have a laptop so there is no line input, just a mic input. I guess i didn't really know there was a difference though. Hey Dr. 303, do you record straight into your mic input? If so it must just mean the soundcard on my hp is s**t.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Well my macbook has a line in and a headphone jack and so does my dell desktop that is hella crappy. It's nice 'cause you can have all the tracks playback while you record a new one and hear everything as it's put down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:29 am 

you might have the option of choosing between line and mic. i have a dell with this (of course it's the same 1/8 input). but u know what i still get very low recordings even with everything all the way up. edirol sells a cheap audio to usb in device(thinks it's around 40). it's not the best you can buy but definately better than mic in. and i use an H2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:41 am 

Quote:
edirol sells a cheap audio to usb in device(thinks it's around 40). it's not the best you can buy but definately better than mic in.

Check out Behringer also..

I'm not sure what type of Sp you got, but if you have the 606 use it as an interface thru USB..

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 am 

i record through a 4 channel pa head into a direct box into the line in on my mac and audacity and it sounds fine, you usually need to amplify and compress and eq but it has all that.
i would suggest the direct box to anyone recording into their computer line in. i could be wrong but i think it eliminates the possibility of too much power going through your soundcard or computer and maybe frying it? anyone know for sure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:40 pm 

Hey I know recording thru mic in is bad, but that's what I do because when I go thru line in the volume is ridiculously low.

How can I increase the volume when recording to audacity, other than turning it up all the way on the SP itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm 

Olerud wrote:
Hey I know recording thru mic in is bad, but that's what I do because when I go thru line in the volume is ridiculously low.

How can I increase the volume when recording to audacity, other than turning it up all the way on the SP itself?

In ur Pc right click on that little speaker in the right hand corner at the bottom open volume control then go to options then click properties in that list make sure the line in Box is checked...Then go to the recording bubble in the middle of that box then make sure the line in is checked inside of there to...then press ok. Another box should show up and it should have like Stereo Mix and Line In ETC. make sure that Line in is checked then boost the level up on that. Then go into audacity and start recording....

AIM: heatahustla
www.myspace.com/youngheat05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:00 pm 

i record straight to tape for the moment. basically i use my hi-fi and record to that and i play everything live. i plan on buying one of those boss multi-trackers in the future tho.

FUNK A COMPUTER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:08 pm 

The homie YoungHeat! Damn I would have never figured that out, thanks a lot. I cannot believe I was recording thru mic in, whatever ... the ones I recorded thru that are just stupid grimey now in comparison.

And yeah I would say FUNK A COMPUTER but thats all I got. Anyone wanna sell me a 4 track for like $30 :?: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 pm 

Twitch wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what type of Sp you got, but if you have the 606 use it as an interface thru USB..

I do have a 606. Can I record into audacity or reaper via USB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:17 am 

Quote:
I do have a 606. Can I record into audacity or reaper via USB?

Yes.. I use my 606 with my laptop.. The 606 is a 24 bit audio interface..

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.