It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

Post subject: live shows
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:44 pm 

i am utterly baffled by how some people can rock an sp live and so amazingly. Four tet is an example. i mean the way he improvises is insane. Flying lotus too, the performances that i've seen of him he wasnt using an SP but i saw a picture of it in his setup once.

i personally use a 303 and to even get close to the kind of sound that flying lotus or four tet does i have to do several overdubs and edits on the computer. it just blows me away how they can do it live. not only that but in their 30 or so minutes long sets it sounds like theyre triggering more samples than the memory banks can contain. how?! and its also a mystery to me how they splice and chop up their beats live to get that glitch effect. can anyone drop some knowledge on how they do that too?

if you're as baffled as i am, it would be cool if you just share how you would rock a show on an SP setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:17 am 

i dont know if this is what you mean but ive got some glitchy sounding drums by recording them with the gate on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I record almost every single beat I make live of the sp-303. There's a lot of tricks to achieve this sound but I'll give you one, just play with the tremelo effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:00 am 

thats a really good trick. i tried it out on a sample that was looping really fast. it sounds tight, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:29 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDGO0U9VhZg

check out the video you can see what he uses. Doesn't look like a 404 but whatever it is hes using two of them. and a laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:01 pm 

DR.Sample303 wrote:
I record almost every single beat I make live of the sp-303. There's a lot of tricks to achieve this sound but I'll give you one, just play with the tremelo effect.

yeah im the same.
sometimes i make loops on my micron because it has a step sequencer (grid sequencer) because sometimes i like to do crazy hi hat tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 pm 

mrk wrote:

check out the video you can see what he uses. Doesn't look like a 404 but whatever it is hes using two of them. and a laptop.

He's got two 303s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 pm 

Olerud wrote:
mrk wrote:

He's got two 303s

nice one ironside, We got any more info on the laptop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:25 am 

i think he uses Audacity. great video, i'm kind of disappointed that he uses his laptop so much though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:17 am 

GoblinGlasses wrote:
i think he uses Audacity. great video, i'm kind of disappointed that he uses his laptop so much though.

i think it is a really cool setup to use a laptop + some hardware. what i DON'T think is cool is that he is stearing into the screen and using a mouse. if you're using a laptop you schould be using like Ableton live all controlled with midi controllers. Then you wont have to look like you're checking you e-mail.

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject: Re: live shows
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:41 am 

GoblinGlasses wrote:

if you're as baffled as i am, it would be cool if you just share how you would rock a show on an SP setup.

I backed up a singer using SP live, we also had a keyboard player/bassist.
We loaded up the "meat" of the tracks in the 606, & arranged them as songs. During the play I would do 'tricks' with the effects & the D-beam, essentially "dubbing" things out- treating it like a 4track (it kinda is). I also did some light playing of some percussion sounds I loaded to some pads, & triggered some loco movie samples to fill space between songs. I'm still tryna get some video from that night. Just cuz it's sequenced doesn't mean you don't have to practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.
If you playing gits live and you miss a little note, no one might notice, but if you fuck up and play the wrong song, or forget to switch off an endless delay or something on the beat machine you'll be looking like a dweeb- you gotta be tight with it!

Post subject: Re: live shows
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:02 pm 

or if you play a loop a bit outa sync to other things

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:01 pm 

I experimented with some live playing last night at my resident spot. It was very basic but cool... I basically madea few 4 bar Drum, melody and bass loops of some beats ive done and triggered them live. Did a littler effecting and played with the filter on the dbeam and stuff. It was pretty cool. I want to take it foward more a bit. I enjoyed it and the response was pretty good.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic