It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

Post subject: 606 seeks 404
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:23 am 

I'm mainly an mpc and 606 user. But lately I've been curious about the 404 with all the talk it gets in here. Does it have anything about it that I couldn't get out of the mpc or 606? Or would it just be another sampler that is inexpensive but very capable? Is it a 1 track sequencer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:57 am 

you would get portability but thats about all over those two. it's a one track sequencer and it doesn't do songs, just patterns. actually i think the reason it's loved so much is that it's pretty challenging and that it requires all ears and very little visual. i tend to get bored on my mpc quickly but like to play the 404 a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:05 am 

The 404 has a limited 1 track sequencer. It's 12 pads are not attack or velocity sensitive, and have no aftertouch, although you can plug in a velocity sensitive MIDI controller and trigger the samples that way and the track sequencer will remember the velocity data. The maximum sample memory is 1 gig, and it can both import and export samples in .aif and .wav format. It has RCA jacks for stereo line-in and line-out, a TS socket for dynamic mics (no phantom power) and TRS output for headphones, MIDI-in only and there's no USB port . The 404 can run off of 6 AA/LR6 batteries or mains. I suggest you stay way from Digital Concepts' rechargeable batteries, though, since they don't work well with quick chargers and don't last very long in the 404, if that particular bunch works. It also has ten banks for memory, two of which (A and B) can be backed up and have up to a little over 5 minutes sample time in standard (i.e. 44.1KHz) stereo format. It's D/A converters are 24-bit.

EDIT: It has a 1 line by three character, 8 segment LCD display, a strobing light that blinks in time with the sequencer and the buttons light up when you use them. You can cue up another sequence while the current one is playing, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:16 am 

the main difference is editing. Its a very different style of editing. You edit by feel instead of the .wav editor.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 pm 

Its a whole quick way of making beats and a freestyle method that this little unit promotes that very dope. It takes the task out of beatmaking, while keeping the fun in. Thats my take. But my best suggestion would be to go to your local Guitar Center or whatever and try one out first hand. Peace, Duss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 am 

I just remember when I first started out making my beats on an MS-1 and it seemed more enjoyable. The visual aspect was all in my mind due to the extremely minimal lcd. And yeah it was limited as fuck, But I didn't know that so I banged it out. With an MPC I can, and have to look for what I'm doin and that seems to take away the enjoyment I had from it 10 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:08 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I don't know, now that I have an SP-606 I don't think I would want to go back to an SP-404 in terms of production style and having a screen and such.

I do agree that a screen really isn't needed to be able to make a sick beat and good music, but for me personally having a screen is simply a big time saver. Actually being able to scroll through everything, edit and adjust things with clear visual feedback is a must for me.

I really wouldn't want to go back to having just an SP-555 (or SP-404) anymore for sure. If my SP-606 breaks down I'll definitely buy a new one and if Roland stops making them, I'd probably save up some money for an MV-8800 or so for sure - just for having a screen.

Quote:
With an MPC I can, and have to look for what I'm doin and that seems to take away the enjoyment I had from it 10 years ago.

Perhaps the same kind of enjoyment will come back the minute you really know your MPC fully inside-out, you know ... when you're able to make music practically without having to look?
Anyways, it's just my curiosity, but how long did you make music on your MPC?

I'm experiencing myself that it takes time getting used to these kind of devices (in my case an SP-606) and because of it's complexity compared to the MS-1 (and SP-404s) certain things will take a few steps more than on the old gear. Complexity isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it means you get more options to mess around with and the ability to create things differently, but the work flow itself is definitely different too. Not always slower, but sometimes it definitely is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 pm 

I do know my MPC inside out, I've had it for a couple years now and I had a 2000 before that. sometimes I just miss using my ear and my ear only instead of my eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:37 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Mmm okey, yeah, I don't know my SP-606 inside out yet, so I don't quite know what I'm talking 'bout.

Do you think the MPC makes things almost too complicated or is the screen simply distracting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:52 pm 

I guess it's more that you have to deal with more menus on the MPC. That is why I use my 606 more. On the 606 it's easier to mute tracks, you can assign samples directly to the pad bank instead of having to create a progam, on the MPC you have to save and load your samples, sequences, and programs where on the 606 it automatically saves everything and loads everything. I guess overall the 606 is easier to just turn on and get down to buisness. MPC's can and will be a headache.