It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

Post subject: Tempo Question!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:43 am 

Whats up all? So i've sampled several samples at different tempos. What is the best way to beat match. I've tried to lock the sample to the sequence feature but it seems like that does not work. I followed the manual step by step. Also, when you sample, does the 606 calculate the tempo automatically? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Tempo Question!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:29 pm 

I think you can tap the tempo before sampling, also IIRC you can use the metronome while sampling. If you're using a drum machine or something like that you can use that slave mode where sampling starts/stops as the pattern starts/stops.

Edit: Just realized I didn't help at all, anyway... See post below for actual help.

Last edited by sharpmotif on Sun May 02, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tempo Question!
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:18 am 

Hey! So I take you've hit up BPM sync, checked your pads are set to match the sequencer or your own tempo (type:FIX, quarter note= ##.#) then?

Its also worth noting the time signature of the songs you're sampling. No matter how much tempo work you do it'll never sound right if its in a different signature. Are they all in 4/4? Count them out yourself, don't rely on the SP606, it only responds to what you tell it. If there's something in a different signature one workaround is to chop to get it to component notes & do things double hits/skip measures as you play back to reach the right signature. For instance a 3/4 bar (count 1-2-3 1-2-3 etc) played back as 4/4 could be counted as 1-2-3-2, 1-2-3-3 etc.

Might be worth checking the sample parameters & choosing "Play Type: Phrase", "Beat: 1/4" (<-- for example, is it quarter not lengths you're using or whole bars etc?), "Measure: 1" (<-- how many bars it plays at its BPM). This may help push them into line with the BPM sync... Alternatively you could chop each note separately & simulate a smooth attack/decay by resampling with FX like reverb & tremolo.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck!