It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:09 pm

Post subject: Pad banks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 pm 

How are the pad banks on the 606 set up? I tried researching through google but can't find it. I'm seriously pondering on coping one out for my graduation in May cause the chopping on it seems simpler than my 404.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:27 pm 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

well.. there are 32 pad banks with a 512 compact flash card inserted (thats as high as it goes).... and pad banks 1-8 come with factory sounds which leaves banks 9-32 empty for ur creative freedom......

after every beat i make i save it as a backup then upload it to my computer.... then I format my card and work on my next project... If u work that way u will NEVER run out of banks I can almost guarantee....

Pad banks 1-8 will always stay the same with the factory sounds even after u format ur card so u don't need to worry about losing them... also if u find that theres a drum or sample kit that u tend to use alot...u can load it to bank 9 for example and set a "lock" on it... that way it'll never get deleted as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:36 pm 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

If chopping is ur number 1 concern... i suggest u look into the 505... I hear its got the best chopping function outta all the sps... kinda like the best of both worlds between the 404 and the 606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:17 pm 

does the 505 hold as many banks as the 606? And again thanks man for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:32 pm 

hi
Quote:
If chopping is ur number 1 concern... i suggest u look into the 505... I hear its got the best chopping function outta all the sps... kinda like the best of both worlds between the 404 and the 606

i just sold my sp-606 today. i found that the chop way is more complete on sp-505 (wich i have). in the sp-606 you can chop only automatically i.e. you can't decide how many chops (slices) you will have. in the sp-505 it's the same, but if you don't like the way the sample is chopped you can add/move/substract the wave pointers and finally you can have exactely the slices you want all distibuited in the pads.
the sp-505/606 way of chopping is done by a complex bunch of things: the volume, the density and the silence in the sample combined togheter. in other words: if you have a drum loop it will be chopped more exactely than a distorted keyboard loop; this is like that 'cause in the drum loop there are, generally, many stops, silences and so on than a distorted, continuous keyboard playng.
i thinksp-606 is conceived to work more with the P606 software. also for the pitch thing...

Quote:
does the 505 hold as many banks as the 606? And again thanks man for the info.

the sp-505 got 8(internal)+8(smartmedia card)=16banks the sp-606 got 16(internal)+16(compact flash card)=32 banks i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 pm 

to be honest actually i like what you said about 606 it also seems better because of the CF card compatibility. Chopping isn't really what I was going for per se, but I want a cheap sampler thats easy like my 404, has better chopping features, and can hold a good amount of samples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:55 pm 

to be honest actually i like what you said about 606 it also seems better because of the CF card compatibility. Chopping isn't really what I was going for per se, but I want a cheap sampler thats easy like my 404, has better chopping features, and can hold a good amount of samples. Can you tell me some disadvantages of the 606. My internet if fucking up on me thats why I had to make two separate replies, I'm using my friends internet via wifi on my macbook cause my router broke down the other day. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 pm 

ok
sp-606 is boring when you have to do realtime delete pads performance: it do it only one pad at time!...you have microscope editing also, wich i found a little headeaching...sp-505 do exactly the same like sp-303/404 deleting in realtime performance. and it got microscope editing also.
sp-606 apply 2fx at time; this is ok, but sometimes -this happened to me- when i recorded ROLL+2 fx playing+pattern switching=sp-606 system panic!...the screen was in mess, the fx button retarded but the sound was normal...but in a live situation this makes fear...
other thing for me boring: finding banks is not immediate, you have to find it with a specific button and then switch the "value" wheel...
i didn't try the midi thing indeed...nor the external sampling (for sequencing external synth).
generally speaking i found the sound a little weak, but you have a "mastering" function when it occours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 pm 

Yeah maybe the 606 is a bad idea. lol I looked at the prices on ebay and it's pretty cheap considering all the stuff it does and its cheaper than a 606. Also I can't see how I can plug my Numark TTUSB to a 606 for sampling. I might be mistaken but it seems like more of a hassle to get that to work than getting it to work on a 505.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:10 pm 

personally i think sp-606 is more for live than sp-505. when you sample sp-606 don't stop for some seconds like sp-505 do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:53 am 

Quote:
the sp-505 got 8(internal)+8(smartmedia card)=16banks the sp-606 got 16(internal)+16(compact flash card)=32 banks i think.
Code:
i'm wrong. there are 16 internal pads and 16 card pads in sp-505.