It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

Post subject: no audio output from SP-606
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:08 pm 

I purchased a used Roland SP-606 a few months ago. The unit seemed to be in OK shape, but the FUNC button stopped working soon after I picked it up, so it might not have been in the best condition. I replaced the button, but I have a bigger problem in that the headphone outputs do not produce any audio. I can get a VERY VERY quiet signal from the main outs. Even when I boost the Low and High master gain by 24dB, the unit is just barely audible.

I've gone through the built-in system test, and the only part that failed was the test where you connect the audio outs to the audio ins and look to see two waveforms on the screen (one from the L channel and one from the R channel). I did not see any waveforms (confirming the issue with the audio outs); however the digital audio in and out test did pass.

When I plug in an external audio source to my audio ins, I do see a signal when I am in sampling mode (although I have to change the input to MIC level, even from a line level source. So, the audio in seems to work OK.

It seems to me like the audio jacks are faulty. I've used Deox-IT products on the jacks to try and clean them out, but the audio issue remains. Does it sound like the audio jacks need to be fully replaced? Or does this sound like a different issue with the unit?

Thank you for any advice!

Post subject: Re: no audio output from SP-606
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm 

never experienced that, hope you'll find someone with a technical answer
only thing i could advice: have you tried to reboot (reinitialize) the machine? just saying

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 pm 

Yep, I've done the factory reset already, but no luck :( I'm fairly convinced it's a hardware issue at this point. I've got some new 1/4" audio jacks in the mail I ordered from someone on eBay. The Service Notes give part numbers for most of the components of the 606, so I was actually able to find the exact part I need.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:59 am 

Don't have the Service Manual nearby now, but apart from faulty connectors it'd also be possible that the electronics (opamps) driving those outputs have been overloaded by previous user, so should be replaced.

There should be a protection for this (series resistor & internal overcurrent protection), but users can present nasty loading conditions to gear... (shorting, by faulty cables, or even by assuming that you can mix signals by directly joining them, effectively shorting them)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:17 pm 

take it in to get it fixed.

really there's so much that can go wrong that you just need a electronics guy who knows Roland gear.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:57 pm 

MotorBongo wrote:
Don't have the Service Manual nearby now, but apart from faulty connectors it'd also be possible that the electronics (opamps) driving those outputs have been overloaded by previous user, so should be replaced.

There should be a protection for this (series resistor & internal overcurrent protection), but users can present nasty loading conditions to gear... (shorting, by faulty cables, or even by assuming that you can mix signals by directly joining them, effectively shorting them)

I see. Is it possible to test and replace any of these op amps?
I'm also going to test all of the caps on the jack board and replace any that seem faulty. I did just thoroughly clean out all of the PCBs and components in a gentle soap and water wash. That didn't fix the issue (as I expected), but the unit is nice and fresh now :) I may end up having to take this to a Roland service center, but I'd like to try my hand at any repairs that are possible in-home.

Any suggestions towards what I should try next are more than welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 pm 

npp1993 wrote:
MotorBongo wrote:

(In hindsight): Never wet-clean electronics, or if you must, let it dry thoroughly.

Best to bring it to a technician. There's so much that can be wrong. And perhaps just not one error.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm 

MotorBongo wrote:
npp1993 wrote:
MotorBongo wrote:

(In hindsight): Never wet-clean electronics, or if you must, let it dry thoroughly.

Best to bring it to a technician. There's so much that can be wrong. And perhaps just not one error.

Good luck!

I actually did wet-clean everything after disassembly (except for the LCD screen component) following some instructions from a guy on YouTube who seemed to know what he was talking about. Seems to be a low-risk operation if done properly. I used compressed air to blow most of the water off of the boards and ports and also let it dry overnight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:55 am 

If we turn to the formation of a word, then the thread will certainly lead to the English word "resist". Translated into Russian, it will mean action - to resist, resist and interfere. It all comes down to the fact that a current flows in the circuit in the circuit, experiencing resistance of the internal type. You can determine the value of this very resistance by the properties of various external factors and properties of the conductor. Perhaps this is why your audio does not work, it is best to use a high voltage resistor manufacturer