It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:12 am 

Using P606

This much-maligned little program is really a lot better than most people think. I’m poor, so I generally have to make do with what I’ve got and therefore have had the opportunity to really get to know this program and squeeze a lot of cool stuff from it.

With this, you can do something that no other sampler can do – MAKE SAMPLES!

The thing that this app excels at is being the ultimate drum machine.

In any given pattern you have 16 channels of drums, with all of Roland’s sounds without even bothering to sample anything.

This is cool in itself as it gives you MPC-style functionality (kick on one track, snare on another, etc.). It gets better though…

You have swing control over each channel separately – very cool.

You have unlimited polyphony; extra cool as it really goes around the 8-voice limitation.

You really have unlimited tracks too, as each track can have 48 tracks within that track…especially good for complex hi-hat rhythms and the like.

BUT, this is the really cool bit – you can use DirectX or even VST effects on your tracks (with the wrapper software [on the P606 disk]).

And you can use the D-Beam to control almost any parameter you want – AND record the data into your pattern----awesome!!

With a little creativity, you can construct grooves that would take a LONG time to make any other way.

If you’ve been avoiding the software just because of its ‘uncool’ factor, slap yourself and give it a try – you WILL be surprised!!!!

Go on….. why are you still reading? Get out there and do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:14 am 

Oh I forgot to tell you - if you want to see the effect you are using instead of just the presets list, double-click in the effect window and it will magically appear in another window with all parameters right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:46 pm 

Hi 606man how are ya ?? I got a few questions hope you can answer . ( I'm crossing my fingers on this one heheh )
1st . Can the p-606 record what's on the sp-606 ?? If so please explain on how to do it :)) .
2nd. And can you all so record the controls movement from the sp-606 by using the p-606 software as you are recording? Once again if so please explain .

Thanks tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:59 am 

hey man

1st. Short answer: no. You can export your loop to the computer though, and then load it into P606. Check the 'acidized loops' thread to see how you can use loops in P606 as iof it were acid/abelton. P606 has no 'sampling' abilitly; that's for the hardware to handle!

2nd. Yes, no problems at all. Simply assign a controller to a parameter and hit record in P606, and tweak away! :D

enjoy; if you need further explanation, don't hesitate to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:57 pm 

Hiya again 606man . I'm having trouble with the p-606 software ( i think ) I got my loop in the program and then go record it to the unit using the ext seq sam and when it is done . I got to play it back what i recorded. The loop begins fine then at the end where the loop should loop back it like stops then after a short period it starts over playing the loop . Any suggestion's on how to fix this one ?? I thought perhaps I recorded at the wrong bpm but , I redid it at the same bpm and the same thing ?? Well any help will be appreaciated ; ) .

tuanjamz2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:40 pm 

Hmmmm I know this one! When I first used the EXT SEQ SAMPLING function with p606 it never seemed to work properly; so much so that I thought it was a duff feature!

However, you need to follow the manual EXACTLY with this procedure - there's no room for shortcuts....

If you are still having trouble after following the manual, try making your p606 file ONLY the loop that you wish to load into the sp606 and do it that way. Sometimes stray midi notes on the other channels confuse the machine.

If you still are having trouble, try again - I've had it fail and then succeed without changing anything before; only a couple of times but it has happened...

If you are still stuck, put the loop into soundforge and trim it up and then load it back into the sp.....this is a long-winded way to do it and should be avoided unless all else fails!!