It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:59 am

Post subject: sp 606 screen glitches
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:45 pm 

Just got my 606 and when watching the screen during writing or navigating the screen kind of glitches and turns wavy and then just goes back to being normal. This happens every now and then at random.

Anyone experienced this and know any remedys? A loose connection? Other than that its a great box!

Post subject: Re: sp 606 screen glitches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:15 pm 

I wouldn't worry much about that, its dead pixels and constant black lines that you should be worry about.

What you see and experiencing is practically normal. Its just the processing of the images that SP606 produces. Its not a HDTV screen you know, but more like the type of processing you see with the first b/w Game Boy games ( if anyone can remember those ).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:41 pm 

Well, mine doesn't do that, have you tried upgrading the OS?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:06 pm 

The OP has to explain more detail, but the only time my screen gets blurry is when I navigate through waveforms via jogwheel and when option windows emerge and submerge asking me to execute or cancel. At least thats what I think he means.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
The OP has to explain more detail, but the only time my screen gets blurry is when I navigate through waveforms via jogwheel and when option windows emerge and submerge asking me to execute or cancel. At least thats what I think he means.

so the glitch happens pretty much anytime, In my original post I said it was during writing or navigating but its anytime the screen is on, every 30 or 40 seconds the screen will glitch, It will look like a horizontal chunk of the screen will just shift to the right, and then it will go back to being normal after a second or when I hit a pad or move the jog wheel.

I'll try upgrading the OS when I get home. Thanks for the post's :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:00 am 

Does sound strange. Let us know about the upgrade. Also could be strong magnetic currents interfereing. Keep cel-phones away and/or electric generators.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

To me this sounds like a dying screen. My MC-505 had similar issues at some point and ultimately ended up being unreadable.

Like Ill Green my screen used to blur a bit when navigating through samples and flicker a tiny tiny bit, but never it caused a true glitch in that it dislocated texts or ish. :(

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm 

I was using the sampler over the weekend and was smashing a roll on 4 samples at once, while using 2 FX at the same time and the screen froze!!!!!! the pads and buttons/knobs were responding but the screen was frozen on the FX control screen. I waited for it to come back but after a few mins it did not so I just restarted the sampler, I'm worred this might happen during a live performance! :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 am 

Did you try installing OS 1.09? Or at least reinstalling the factory default?

Try those before anything, it could be a fatal bug giving your 606 a stomach ache. Perhaps the original owner never did a shutdown during his use and that can cause repercussions to the internal system.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 am 

Green, I'll try installing a new verision of the OS, right now it says V 1.11 I think.

I did do the factory restall when the problem started happening and it still came up.

as for the shut down I had no Idea about that, I found out how to " Shut down" But it doesn't do anything, should I choose shut down and then power off the sampler? I've had it for about a month and have never used the shut down.

Ehhhh all in all its an amazing sampler despite the problems. It should go great with my korg esx for live playing, I enjoy jamming on the pads and throwing long samples on it. I wish the micro edit was similar to the 505. Thanks for the replys :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:04 pm 

Wow 1.11 OS? At rolandus.com, they only have 1.09 as the latest. Perhaps Roland of Japan got the new OS? I'll definitely check that out.

For ShutDown, hold the Function key then press shutdown, the screen should give you a message telling you that you can turn off the unit. Also for USB connection, whether you're plugging in or out, the SP should be off. Doing so while its on can be fatal to the OS.

I would recommend downloading the pdf manual at Roland's site, you will learn alot and its a pretty easy read.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm 

The 1.11 is basically the same as 1.09...some useless v-link features added...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:14 pm 

Thanks for that info, I guess I'll stick to 1.09. The VLink looks like a cool feature even though I never used it. Just seems to be an excess. A video out would have been enough to display those trippy graphics.