It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:31 am

Post subject: recordin drum patterns - 505
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:51 pm 

yo whats good, im new 2 tha sp fam....im havin alil difficulty wit my patterns, ive sampled sum kicks, snares, hi's etc. but cant seem 2 grasp how u record a drum pattern, swing, beat count....any tutorials or tips, please ur info is needed.appreciate u. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:19 pm 

Welcome, Jack, good to have you here. :D
I dont know thing 1 bout the 505 but your in the right place to find some answers.
I just hit the footswitch on my555 and start drumming but 505 is surely diff.
I would think you get your sounds ready and then hit record and then whatever you play in real time will be repeated(sounds kinda obvious but sometimes in reason or other programs they dont come out like I want) :roll: .
Anyway, dig around the forum, its a gold mine of info.
Peace :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:49 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I can't help you with the SP-505 directly as I don't own one either, however I do have some advice that might get you started.

Okey, I might sound like a wisecrack, but a lot of people don't do this; read the manual. No offense meant at all, just a thing people tend to skip doing. It has valuable info in it.

You could check out some of the Youtube movies on the SP-505, like these;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bNl6qEJMmWg

(Olby is on the forums here, but be sure to check out all his Youtube movies, those are real gems.

There aren't many tutorial videos though apart from Olby's movies.)

Watch or read the Boss / Roland websites info, the manual can be found there too;

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_supp ... &iCncd=277

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/SP-505/

Not sure if the latter is very useful, as the 'demos' tend to not work for me when it comes to older devices like the SP-505.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:51 pm 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

ok now that i have a new keyboard im ready for some hard core typing action.

theres a couple ways you could go by making drum patterns on the 505. one of the ways is by doing as follows.

get some sounds ready on your pads and edit them so they fire nice and tight.

find an empty patter and set your bpm, it is default set to 120, i find this machine works best 100 bpm and slower , i have not had any success really with anything over 100 bpm,

now that you have a pattern it is a good idea to name it, stuff get get jumbled if you leave the names of the patterns default.

hit record , set your qtz. make sure your tempo is nice.set your bar length, 2 is good, then press play, i usuallly go into rehearsal right away so i can adapt with the metronome, now with my qtz set to 1/8s i lay down hats on track 1 ,leave rehersal mode, you can just bang the pads real fast till it loops over. see the notes are on time and not double clashing( gosh i hate that) now i jump to track to and lay down snares, the simplest most effect way is as follows.

the metrognome goes 1(beep boop boop boop) 2 (beep boop boop boop)

1( 1,2,3,4) 2 (1,2,3,4)
or

one two three four

two two three four

or

one snare three snare

two snare three snare.

see how the clock works now? with your qtz set to 1/8s
record the snares to track 2.

jump back to track 1 and put some kicks inbetween the snares, it is a good idea to set qtz to 16's for kicks.

now with your kicks and hats on track one and yyour snares on track two you should have a drum pattern, throw some open hats on that shit.

now to make it funky put some swing on the kicks and hat track, anywhere from 55 to 70 should work, adjust to preference.

if you need any help with technical details holla!