It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

Post subject: SP 505 and Microkorg (help!)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:33 am 

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum although i've been lurkin for a long time.
I recently got a microkorg in order to add some spice to my sample work etc with the 505, and i've never really gotten involved with midi before, so i'm wondering if there is a way to record the microkorg live into the sp 505 while my drum pattern is playing, so i'm able to layer different synth sounds etc very easily. I just can't figure it out though, i have midi out of sp going to midi in of microkorg, and vice versa, and i can trigger the sp samples on the keyboard just fine, but rather, i'm trying to play the synth on top of my beat, and record it. is there any way to do this via midi or at all, or do i just have to record it into audacity and bounce back etc? i really want to be able to record real time though...anyway, any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Post subject: Re: SP 505 and Microkorg (help!)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:52 am 

DorkeOne wrote:
I just can't figure it out though, i have midi out of sp going to midi in of microkorg, and vice versa, and i can trigger the sp samples on the keyboard just fine, but rather, i'm trying to play the synth on top of my beat, and record it. is there any way to do this via midi or at all, or do i just have to record it into audacity and bounce back etc? i really want to be able to record real time though...anyway, any advice would be appreciated. thanks

first of all wellcome.
second: normally midi on sp505 is a pain in the a** :) but good luck.
in any case there is no way to record samples on the sp505 while it's playing.
the "audacity method" is a good way.
ps
a possible workaround, never tested by me, could be this: sample a loop of the track (drums maybe), put it in loop and then try with "resample" on the EXT button, i don't know if it works, but...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:22 am 

Thanks for the response, least I know for certain now. I actually just tried resampling with external src. on and it totally works. i'm still iffy on whether this is a permanent solution or not, i think an mpc might be a more permanent solution for easy real time recording, then i can just external source the whole output into the sp for compression and whatnot. thats a bummer though i was really hoping the 505 could provide all my needs. guess we'll see how it all unfolds. any other tips regarding synth and the 505 are still welcome!
thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 pm 

just wanted to throw out there, that 505 effects really compliment a synth - the vinyl sim w/ flutter, the chorus, the delay - what you might try doing (and I don't know the style you are going for) is either sample some chord hits or ambient noise, whatever to some pads and make a pattern that way....or sync the microkorg arp to the SP505 speed, sample 4 bars or whatever and you'll have a sync-able arp on a pad.

Sometimes having the chords/arps or whatever on pads with that speed to switch it up will produce different ideas then regular key-playing would.

Also if you think of going the MPC route, check out a used MV8000 or MV8800 , I got an 88k and it does pretty much anything you can think of.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 am 

yeah thanks alot man,, and your totally right i love the sp effects with the microkorg, i just sit there for hours with compression on the external source just playin synth grooves on it (pretty much a straight hip hop head, dilla etc etc) its just a bummer because its a task to get my riffs onto the pads, but i've just been workin around it in the ways that you mentioned.

I am also looking into new samplers though, cause the 303/505 vinyl sim compression will always be apart of my beats no matter what machine i put the framework together in. and i do want an mv-8000/88k that cd burner is lookin mighty convenient these days, and i need some real time recording action to really get my full potential. been lookin into the electribe esx1 as well, anyone know if this has real-time sample recording capabilities? i.e. can you play your own synth on top of your drum loop and record, to get perfect timing?

wow, totally didn't expect to rant like that...just got off work so i'm all hyped about it.
thanks guys you've all been super helpful throughout my SP experience, even before i made an account
Peace guys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:34 am 

Your whole problem is that you got both ins and outs connected. Only one plug will do. Make the 505 the master and the microKorg the slave.

Remember it takes one master to rule the slaves. Never are there two masters per set-up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:57 pm 

I wouldn't drop a bunch of dough on an mpc to record synth work. Record it into a free daw and bounce it back to the 505 after for more effects. Or onto tape.
If you don't want to use a computer research the korg ms. It's an overlooked gem and half the price of an mpc and can resample drum patterns and synth work at the same time :shock:
Good luck