It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:42 pm

Post subject: rig with two SP404
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:06 am 

Hi all
first of all I would like to thank for the addition to the forum. it is my first post here..
I am the lucky owner of an SP404A and SP404mk2 (I managed to find it in a store a couple of weeks ago).
I would like to pair them and would need some suggestions.
do some of you use a dual SP404 rig? if yes how do you set it up?
I need some inspiration..
thanks a lot
Cheers

Post subject: Re: rig with two SP404
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:20 am 

Probably all you need is a simple 2-4 channel pocket mixer or a 2-4 channel DJ mixer. I don’t see the need to complicate it too much if you only plan to use both SP 404s (A & MK2). Probably just practice how you plan to have the MK2 doing things the A can’t. But perhaps there’s something the A has up its sleeve the Mk2 can’t. What that would be I wouldn’t know. I have a 404og, but I never bothered with the SX or A.

Probably what your mixer essentially needs to do is either go straight to a PA or to your DAW. But I’m sure you’ll have fun with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:43 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
I use a SP 404OG and the 404SX together for playing and recording stuff live to tape or MD recorder although at present I'm teaming the O.G. 404 with my restored SP-808 EX which also serves as an effects processor for synths and guitars.

All beats and basslines are sampled to the 808 or SX with the 404:running samples from records,vocal chops,pads, atmospherics,pianos etc or samples I've created using instruments of my own .

The synths run through the 808 so I can add stuff live on the fly. ..lead lines or adding chords generally.

Basically I jam a lot with my set up..that's how I feel my best ideas come around...having more than one sampler to make music with just opens up to more creativity which can never be a bad thing.

Enjoy your set up ..get stuck in and have fun.

The only thing to remember is sampling is a state of mind..

8)

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:29 am 

Danswift wrote:
I use a SP 404OG and the 404SX together for playing and recording stuff live to tape or MD recorder although at present I'm teaming the O.G. 404 with my restored SP-808 EX which also serves as an effects processor for synths and guitars.

All beats and basslines are sampled to the 808 or SX with the 404:running samples from records,vocal chops,pads, atmospherics,pianos etc or samples I've created using instruments of my own .

The synths run through the 808 so I can add stuff live on the fly. ..lead lines or adding chords generally.

Basically I jam a lot with my set up..that's how I feel my best ideas come around...having more than one sampler to make music with just opens up to more creativity which can never be a bad thing.

Enjoy your set up ..get stuck in and have fun.

The only thing to remember is sampling is a state of mind..

8)

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I am just starting to enter into the sampling world (I am an old fashioned jazz guitar player..) and it is really an interesting world.. a lot to learn though.
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:39 am 

Are you playing guitar while you use your 2 samplers btw?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:11 am 

Headphones wrote:
Are you playing guitar while you use your 2 samplers btw?

not at the moment..
but in future I would like to find a way to integrate also the guitar in the rig..
there are really an endless array of possibilities to be explored..